PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike YouTuber life span - 01/25/24 08:13 PM

How many of us will be BIAB users into our 90s

What are some of the 50 new features that will be included in that version when we hit 90

Write the ad copy
Posted By: MarioD Re: YouTuber life span - 01/25/24 11:38 PM
Did you make any money?
Did you win any rewards?

What a crappy outlook.

Did you make someone smile?
Did you make someone laugh?
Did you help someone?
etc

Are not those better goals?

PS - If I live to be 90 and PGM keeps adding 50 new features each year the program will be so convoluted that no one will be able to use it! Note that is only 12 years away!
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: YouTuber life span - 01/26/24 12:08 PM
I think that was largely his point, Mario.
YouTube can easily be a vacuous treadmill and he's stepped off of it.

I took/was made redundant one day after my 50th birthday and my search beyond that taught me several things about myself that I'd not previously realised. That I actively want/need challenges ... I really didn't care that much about the money or the prestige, I wanted to do things that were hard and that I could do when so may others could not. That I wanted, as far as possible, what I did to make a positive contribution to the world. In truth I'd long done that, but hadn't really realised that it was actually important to me.

One other thing I learned was that my cat at the time realised something was wrong and followed me endlessly, everywhere, looking worried and mewing. Cats apparently, really can care.
Posted By: dcuny Re: YouTuber life span - 01/27/24 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by MarioD
Did you make any money?
Did you win any [awards]?

What a crappy outlook.
That was the point Adam was making.

Adam starts out by saying he'd heard the phrase four years ago on a podcast featuring Freddy Wong. Freddy was a hugely successful YouTuber, but Freddy said that 1.8 million viewers meant nothing to people in the industry.

Adam's explains that a YouTube "career", no matter how successful, isn't sustainable and often seems to end in burnout.

Originally Posted by Adam Neely
My goal is not to be a YouTuber until the end of my life. My goal is to be a musician until the end of my life. My goal is to be Roy Haynes. I want to be shredding until I'm 98 years old and beyond. Because you know, "1.8 million subscribers and no one cares."

But I don't give a [censorsed], I kind of just want to play bass and hang out with my friends and share in that community. Because I think that's the thing that really matters and the thing that I really am passionate about.

So after watching Freddy's video, he moved his focus to playing with his band, and expressed regret that he hadn't done that years ago.
Posted By: musiclover Re: YouTuber life span - 01/27/24 11:11 AM
98 years old and beyond., his aspirations are modest.
smile

Attached picture 417440438_234440046374795_5246621794543499163_n.jpg
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: YouTuber life span - 01/28/24 12:57 AM
I plan to live forever. So far, I'm doing well.
Posted By: musiclover Re: YouTuber life span - 01/28/24 11:02 AM
I don't know whether he was just using a figure of speech or not, but once I read his quote about living to 98 and beyond, I felt his video was not even worth watching.
Posted By: bobbyt9999 Re: YouTuber life span - 01/30/24 04:44 PM
BOne other thing I learned was that my cat at the time realised something was wrong and followed me endlessly, everywhere, looking worried and mewing. Cats apparently, really can care.

Totally agree with this Gordon. A few years back I was totally incapacitated due to severe depression/anxiety. Most days I would sit on the sofa and just stare out the window. My cat. who usually slept all day on our bed began getting as close to me as possible and stayed there with me all day.

Yes, cats really do care.

Bobby
Posted By: dcuny Re: YouTuber life span - 01/30/24 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by musiclover
I don't know whether he was just using a figure of speech or not, but once I read his quote about living to 98 and beyond, I felt his video was not even worth watching.
Have you ever watched any of Adam's videos? He's a serious musician, and has some great videos.

As for the context: He started out the video talking about a jazz drummer he admired that was 98 year old, and still an active drummer.

The question he asked himself was: What do I want to be doing when I'm 98?

And the answer was: I want to be making music with my friends, like this guy - not making YouTube videos"
© PG Music Forums