PG Music Home
This Norwegian Band is pretty good. I have to admit I watched the drill more than the music. Now that the kids are all out of cadets and the military I remember long hours going to drill practice when in Royal Cadets, then annual reviews, camps, and finally into a real military unit where if you mess up and get wrong footed yer diggin foxholes all day after....

The good the bad and ugly tune is here, I don't know the other pieces. Anyone who throws an M1 rifle like that is nuts....

http://sorisomail.com/email/16993/exibicao-de-banda-militar--um-espectaculo-imperdivel.html
I was in a marching band long ago. These guys are unreal. Thanks
Quote:

I was in a marching band long ago. These guys are unreal. Thanks

So was I. I think the band director heaved a sigh of relief when I quit showing up. At least they didn't bother to report me absent.

Don S.
We had one guy was always wrong footed. The guy at the front (Drum Major) was a former Welsh Guard. (Buckingham Palace Guards). He died last year of pancreatic cancer. We were in Vancouver marching and I can still him yelling in cadence "Gerry get in da*( step!" and it echoed off the buildings and my horn line was laughing so hard we couldn't play. How you get messed up with a bass drum on you I can't figure. We kept telling him leftfoot down Boom, leftfoot down Boom. Never did it right.

I think there ought to be a warning for Canadians on that band. Do not watch. Automatic weapons being thrown carelessly. 20 feet to some other guy.

Nuts.
Memories...

When I landed in Ansbach, I started as jeep driver for the Warhead Section Lt.,
Then, when I was TDY'd to the 7th Army Band everything got good...no more tossing my
M-1 or Grease-Gun around...just drums...principally a bass drum during the parades and
electric guitar for special events and officers clubs. I appreciate the video...sent it to a few of my band buddies. But it's a bit harder to play marching down cobblestone strazzan.
John,
Thank you ever so much for sharing that. It was exhilarating. A wonderful Performance by the Norwegian Royal Guard.

Gary
That is COOL with capitals. I've seen the Norwegians come into the Beertent (un-official military finish of the first three days of the Nijmegen 4 day marches) slightly different (but still going strong).
The Nijmegen 4 day marches for the armed forces are 4 days of marching 40 kilometer (actually a few clicks more than that, but who's counting )with a minimum of 10Kg in your backpack (not counting food and water). Civilians can choose do do 30, 40 or 50 Km. Without having to carry any weight...

Here's the Canadians entering the Beertent
Here's some Dutch troops
But in 2009 Major Green of the US army was the hero of Heumensoord (read the comments, though he finished 500 meters from the Beertent, he made his entrance in the Beertent every day. not to drink beer, just to finish with military honour ) Saw him during the marches and saw him enter every day.

Reminds me to get training for this year's 4 day marches.
I guess we shall forgive that Canadian contingent for stumbling around and that weird drunk looking thing at the end. They had a long march and were RCAF, certainly no your stellar drill types. One of my son's was in the Royal Cdn. Air Cadets Drill Team. They did good, but then he joined the 31 Brigade Elgin Reg't Engineers. The Graduation for Soldier Qualification saw 2,000 kids on the Parade Square, and that was impressive.

But not up to that band and drill unit. I'm still scared watching those rifles fly.
Citaat:

I guess we shall forgive that Canadian contingent for stumbling around and that weird drunk looking thing at the end. They had a long march and were RCAF, certainly no your stellar drill types.

That is part of the tradition at the 4 day marches. Every contingent comes in the beertent (at Camp Heumensoord, a temporary military camp) and does some crazy stuff. Just a way of showing off and having fun.

Here is a German contigent
The Danish got injured
Here's a drill from the USA
And this Dutch team does what everybody wants to do after a 40Km march
Awesome marching band, I remember the marching band when I was in school it is boring not like this full of entertainment.
© PG Music Forums