PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor PIANIST ROGER WILLIAMS - DEAD AT 87 - 10/09/11 04:40 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

"Autumn Leaves" - Roger Williams c1955 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGwFjbyAFm4&feature=related
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: PIANIST ROGER WILLIAMS - DEAD AT 87 - 10/09/11 04:47 AM
I played trumpet in the pit for his show in the early 70s. He was a very fine entertainer.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: PIANIST ROGER WILLIAMS - DEAD AT 87 - 10/09/11 05:00 AM
matt, the article says that his piano teacher wouldn't play a new piece for him because he'd ace it by ear the first time through and not learn to read music. what a gifted musician.

his "lara's theme" gives me goosebumps.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: PIANIST ROGER WILLIAMS - DEAD AT 87 - 10/09/11 05:51 AM
Indeed, very gifted.

We had to laugh about some of his songs in concert that made him seem like a charicature of himself, where he played half notes and we did all the heavy lifting, until he did one of his inimitable runs. It was fun doing the show.
Posted By: jford Re: PIANIST ROGER WILLIAMS - DEAD AT 87 - 10/09/11 12:05 PM
I've always enjoyed listening to his playing. He was a rare talent. RIP.
Posted By: Mac Re: PIANIST ROGER WILLIAMS - DEAD AT 87 - 10/09/11 02:02 PM
He was one of our National Treasures.

--Mac
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: PIANIST ROGER WILLIAMS - DEAD AT 87 - 10/09/11 02:25 PM
i would add mr. "mac" macdonald and matt finley to our list of our national treasures, seriously. it's a pleasure to share the universe with you two. i'm sure that i speak for everyone here.
Posted By: Glenn Kolot Re: PIANIST ROGER WILLIAMS - DEAD AT 87 - 10/13/11 05:22 AM
Interesting evening tonight; my wife said, "how about a game of Upwords." (it's similar to Scrabble). She put on a double CD entitled "Artist's Choice" by Louis Weertz aka Roger W.

Twenty-two songs of his choice. Talk about bringing back memories, and remembering how much (as a very amateur pianist) I longed to be able to play like him (didn't we all). Of course I've long since given up on the task. He had so much talent - and used it.

In the thirties, forties and fifties there were pianists like Cole, Duchin and Carmen Cavallaro, but we piano players owe him a debt of gratitude for bringing the piano to the forefront of popular music as few others have done.

Have a nice flight Mr. W, I'm going to miss you.

Glenn
© PG Music Forums