PG Music Home
I have bit the bullet and purchased a new desktop after the Athlon 64 XP pro box just seems to be seriously slow these days.

On my Win7 64 Home Premium lappy, running MS Security Essentials in concert with Avast Free, seems to keep things running smooth.

Any advice as to a better combination? The ONLY bloatware on the new PC I purchased is a trial version of ESET Antivirus.

For those interested, I bought the PC from MicroCenter in Denver where they do sell a store-branded fully assembled line of desktop/tower PCs called PowerSpec. This is not that far off from an assemble it yourself solution with open drive bays, expansion slots, etc. except you don't have to assemble it yourself.

So, looking for advice on whether or not this combo, which I am familiar with, has a better alternative or if I should supplement it in any way.
You are running two anti malware programs at the same time, which might cause problems including slowing down your system. I use just MSE but supplement it with regular scans by Malwarebytes.
I concur with Matt. I run MSE only on my Win 7 DAW and Avast! on everything else.

Hard to go wrong with Micro Center. I do a great deal of business with their Marietta store here in Georgia.

R.
I run both, same as Rockstart-not. However, recently having issues with the "free" Avast. Not so free when they continue to pester you to upgrade and then try to trick you with your update virus info, by trying to install the full version which is "free" for 30 days. Just becoming of a nuisance.
Thanks for the tips. This is the first desktop computer I have purchased outright since about 1995 or so. I've spec'ed out and purchased components and assembled my other two boxes and so forth.

I just had a look inside the box. While there are a bunch of open drive bays and spare PS connections for drives, the MOBO doesn't have but two SATA connections from what I can gather.

Someone told me the MOBO is ASUS, but I see no markings indicating that. It sure is small!

There is one somewhat familiar looking expansion slot, and then one that's pretty tiny. I don't plan on using either anytime soon.

I did find it interesting that the MOBO just has a VGA and an HDMI connection and no DVI - is that now passé?

-Scott
2 SATA connections would be rare (and an issue here).
A drive and a DVD and you are done??
Double check this;
They are small .. you sure there aren't 2 stacked on top of 2?

The board I bought recently has 3 columns and 2 per column. All 6 connections take up a very small amount of space (but also makes connecting things a bit of a challenge due to proximity).

Every MB I've purchased recently has HDMI(s) and a VGA with no DVI.
For DVI needs I've either purchased a video card or an adapter.

Do the slots look like any of the ones below?
(This is the board for the system I'm typing on now)

Looks like there may be a block of 2 SATA3 connectors - the actual approach angle of them is 90 degrees off compared to the two drives that are plugged in to the other block. I guess I expected all of the SATA connectors to use the same connector block on the MOBO like in your photo. With the open 2 at 90 degrees, it is hard to see the connectors, but here is where my iPhone camera came in handy - sure enough that's what they are and the screen printing on the MOBO has miniscule text next to this which says SATA3. Approach angle for the cables looks to be in-plane with the MOBO.

I have one open PCI Express x1 per your photo and a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot

The box came with a wireless card w/antennae in the other PCI Express x1 slot - which I think I have no need for since this will plug directly into the router.

No FDD or IDE connectors - which is o.k. with me.

Edit - just realized that Microcenter's specs were pretty detailed when I looked at them. Here's the machine:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/423409/B332_Desktop_Computer
Here's the MOBO and sure enough, 4 SATA connections:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135360

I’d like to once again point out that you can get a wide range of MOBO’s and components by going to a “game” PC builder like

www.iBuypower.com

and selecting each and every component to suit your needs. Don’t let the home page fool you. It’s the most carefully built and packaged PC I’ve ever purchased.

I’m running an iBuypower system and the next time I want another desktop I’ll go back to them.

I’m not affiliated, etc, etc, etc.

Bob, I think that's where my workplace is buying our desktops from.

This was a relatively local purchase
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Bob, I think that's where my workplace is buying our desktops from.

This was a relatively local purchase

They're good people to work with.

Fast, efficient and reliable. The customization is perfect for a PC geek who realizes he/she can buy a custom PC cheaper than they can build one because the OEM's get a MUCH cheaper price on components and software.

They also do a 24 hour "run in" before any PC is shipped.
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
I run both, same as Rockstart-not. However, recently having issues with the "free" Avast. Not so free when they continue to pester you to upgrade and then try to trick you with your update virus info, by trying to install the full version which is "free" for 30 days. Just becoming of a nuisance.

All you have to do is register and they leave you alone for 12-14 months at a time. I have been using Avast! Free for several years on several machines with none of what you are describing.

R.
RSN and BobC:

My DAW is built from parts I got at Micro Center, but is VERY closely based on Bob's iBuy jobbie. Next time I'll just go there. I think they actually burn them in for 72 hours, and also offer a 3-year warranty. Try to find that anywhere else.

R.
Richard,

You're right, ... it is a 72 hour burn in.
Back on topic, I remember about 3 years ago the same question came up and at that time the feeling was MSE and Avast or AVG did similar but different things. All I can say is I've been running AVG and MSE all that time with no issues at all. Things change fast in the computer world so maybe that's not such a good idea now?

Bob
It is never a good idea to run two anti virus programs, it should only ever be one.
They may well seem to be getting on with each other, however, if a real virus does get anywhere near, the two together will both try to block the virus at once, resulting in a clash or conflict, which at its worst could actually let the virus in.
© PG Music Forums