PG Music Home
Posted By: Powderman New Song - Floatin" Down The River - 07/03/09 02:02 PM
Schlitterbahn - voted the world’s best water park is in our little town here. It is just a wonderful family oriented venue. On the other hand we have two small waterways where tubing is the major attraction. For every two tubes with people in them – there is probably a tube with a cooler of beer – Texans like their beer. Law enforcement keeps a close eye on things – and fortunately except for a few minor scraps – no one gets seriously hurt.
A couple of weeks ago – one of my guys called from west TX and asked about conditions on the river – thought he would come over for the holiday weekend. Well- we are in a drought – and the flow is not that good – so I said “You ought to stay home and have a bar-b-q. That’s how this song got started. My kids had worked for river outfitters when they were younger and had told a lot of stories of the things going on out there.

The song has gotten passed around the crew now for a few days. I had – one call yesterday – said his wife wanted to float the river – I told him to listen to the song. He called back and said – I think I’ll stay home and have a bar-b-q.

If the tourist and information center gets a hold of this – they’ll probably run me out of town.

I put this one together pretty quick – so the production isn’t fine tuned.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7765907

Have A safe 4th of July
Posted By: toucher Re: New Song - Floatin" Down The River - 07/03/09 02:57 PM
Sounds like you had some fun with this one. I remember tubing down the local rivers here in Calif when I was a kid. Lots of fun and no cost heheh. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Powderman Re: New Song - Floatin" Down The River - 07/05/09 11:26 PM
toucher,

Thanks for the listen. The story line was a little trashy compared with what I usually do - but a friend gave a copy to one of his buddies in a band. They play some of the venues that cater to the tubers - they want to see about putting together an arrangement.

Take Care
I liked it. Made me want to jump on a tube and head on down the river. Cool tune Mate.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New Song - Floatin" Down The River - 07/06/09 01:26 AM
I like it too, and I'm also living in big tubbing country.

Later
Posted By: tcaylor Re: New Song - Floatin" Down The River - 07/06/09 12:57 PM
Powderman,

Nice tune, very clean vocals, tell us a little about your recording path, mic, interface, processing for vocals. Great lyrics too, especially

"Floatin' down the river, my girlfriend left me here,
If I don't find her soon, I'll drink another beer"

nice integration of the instruments, mixed very well.
Posted By: Powderman Re: New Song - Floatin" Down The River - 07/07/09 02:12 AM
Russell and Danny - thanks for listening. I just realized you both are my neighbors on my right side. I have a young ex-marine who works for me from over your way - one of best young men I have ever had a pleasure to work with.

Tom,

My set up is pretty basic. AKG condenser mic - Presonus pre-amp - Tascam Us-122 interface. I use Sonar to record and then mix once I have rendered instrument track with BIAB. My favorite verb for vocals Waves Rverb then a little compression.

This mix I recorded one acoustic g track straight thru the Tascam - gives a little electric effect ( never seem to play my electric g). I also did another acoustic track using a Shure 58 mic . The rest is BIAB.

Take care
Posted By: DRiddle Re: New Song - Floatin" Down The River - 07/07/09 02:29 AM
Hey Powderman,
I really like this one....It is a fun song... You are very talented!
Posted By: Powderman Re: New Song - Floatin" Down The River - 07/07/09 03:01 AM
Hey Danny,

Thanks for the comments

I had one of the guys at work inform he had a bit too much at the river this past weekend. I played the song for him - he said " Oh - yeah that was me !"

Take Care
© PG Music Forums