PG Music Home
Posted By: Gary Curran Windows 7 update - 09/24/09 07:50 PM
One of the issues that has kept me from using Windows 7 has been the lateness of M-Audio to bring a driver for it that works with my 2496 PCI card. However, I accidentally logged in to Windows 7 last night, and instead of rebooting the computer, I could do what I wanted there. What I found was it was possible for me to use the 'Compatibility' feature in Windows 7, which is MUCH better than in Vista, to actually run the drivers for the M-Audio card as if it were in Vista.

Hence, my M-Audio card now works in Win7, and I will be moving most of my applications and files over to the Windows 7 drive. Of course, in about a month, the real thing will be out, and hopefully not too long after that when I have it installed on all of my computers as my primary OS.

So, if you have Windows 7, and don't have drivers, check out the Compatibility feature, you might find that you can run stuff anyway.

Gary
Posted By: toucher Re: Windows 7 update - 09/24/09 08:21 PM
Good to know Gary.......thanks for the "update".
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Windows 7 update - 09/24/09 09:04 PM
Thanks, Gary. I've been running Windows 7 RC 32-bit with great success for several months and I really like it. Some people have had concern over M-Audio drivers not being available, so your news is a relief.
Posted By: botma Re: Windows 7 update - 09/25/09 12:51 AM
Don’t forget,

You can get Win 7 on pre-order for half price. I think they still have that. Search pre-order win 7.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Windows 7 update - 09/25/09 03:02 AM
Harold,
I don't think that's available any more, that was a short term deal. However, since I am fortunate enough to have a connection to the Microsoft store, and was just told today that the four or five copies I want won't be a big deal, I'll be getting mine substantially cheaper than half price.

Gary
Posted By: botma Re: Windows 7 update - 09/26/09 12:29 AM
OK Gary,

I did get in on the pre-order. I think it was back in July. I kept my email order just in case. They don't charge your card untill they ship in Oct. I did not install Win 7 RC. They say If you install RC you will have to make a clean install when Win 7 comes out. If you don't install Win 7 RC it will install over Vista and I will save myself a lot of time re-installing everything.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Windows 7 update - 09/27/09 03:29 AM
Harold,
This is true. For me, even though I have 7RC on this computer, it's a secondary installation, and I have Vista as my primary install. I'll install 7 over that on this computer. As to the laptop and stuff, I'll just have to reinstall everything, but it'll be okay.

Such will be the case for the XP Netbook, as well, since you can't upgrade to 7 directly from XP.

Gary
Posted By: J. Larry Re: Windows 7 update - 09/27/09 03:55 AM
Question----are there any compatibility issues with BIAB and Windows 7? Will the 2009.5 version of BIAB perform OK on Windows 7?
Posted By: botma Re: Windows 7 update - 09/27/09 04:01 PM
Larry,

Peter can answer that best but I don't think we will have any problems...
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Windows 7 update - 09/27/09 09:10 PM
J. Larry,
I don't have any issues running 2009.5 on my laptop with Win7 RC, so I doubt very much if you will have any problems with it.

Gary
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Windows 7 update - 09/28/09 12:13 AM
+1 to gary's comments

i am lovin win7 professional rtm on a hp tc4400 tablet running with vista 32 drivers for my tasam us-144 interface using both biab\rb 2009.5

now if hp could come up with windows 7 drivers for the tablet specific features of the tc4400 that would be grate!
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Windows 7 update - 09/28/09 12:49 AM
Mike,
Insert the drivers disk, right click on the setup, select the Compatibility option, and run them under VIsta or XP. See if that works.

Gary
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Windows 7 update - 09/28/09 02:34 PM
thanks for the thought

when i tried your suggestion windows7 reported incompatibilities with the program and this version of windows

ignoring the message and Installing anyway resulted in an unstable system
Posted By: pgray Re: Windows 7 update - 10/15/09 06:50 AM
Hey Gary,

Maybe I am asking the obvious, but I presume that was the 32-bit version of Windows 7?

Phil
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Windows 7 update - 10/15/09 04:36 PM
Phil,
Sorry,
I've been busy of late, and not been here. Yes, there is a 32 bit version of Windows 7.

Gary
© PG Music Forums