PG Music Home
Posted By: Sandra Sherman strange computer problem - 11/14/09 09:13 PM
Pleeez, urgent help needed,
My computer fails to open programms after some time of running (1-3 hours).
The programms that are already started keep on running without any problems, but I can`t open new programms. Not even the Task Manager via CtrAltDel. I get no error messages only the waiting symbol for maybe 5-10 seconds, wich then dissapears and nothing happens. Also I can`t turn the Computer off in that kind of state. I can only press the power button o get it down.

This happens after 1-3 hours on.
I checked and have no virus, rootkit or other malware.

Sandra
Posted By: Sandra Sherman Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 09:16 PM
The event Log doesn`t show any errors. So maybe a hardware problem?
Posted By: MartinB Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 09:21 PM
I had some similar problems after a virus infection some years ago by now. Once your system got compromised by a virus, it's difficult to regain confidence other than wiping your system disk. You say you checked for viruses and rootkits with no results - yet who knows ...

You might try a system restore from a couple of days back. Good luck.
Posted By: Wyndham Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 09:26 PM
Try different virus programs(AVG Free) and ad aware and spybot.
The other thing do a defrag on the HD and make sure your fans on the system and CPU are working. There is a feature in the bios startup that tells the temp of the CPU and the normal working range. Too many paths to know where to start, just choose one and head down the road. Wyndham
Posted By: silvertones Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 09:27 PM
What programs are you using for virus, spyware etc.
Posted By: Mac Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 09:30 PM
I suspect overheating also.

Check the CPU temperature and also look to see if the CPU fan cooler is clean and rotating.

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 09:30 PM
I'm also thinking high temp as well if you rule out malware 100%
When was the last time you cleaned it?
Posted By: Sandra Sherman Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 09:52 PM
Hmm, overheating could be it. I`ll check for that. I had the motherboard replaced 1 year ago due to overheat problems. I had it replaced by the same modell. Maybe that wasn`t such a good idea and it`s doing the same thing again.
But first I check with other virus progs for malware.
Posted By: Sandra Sherman Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 10:41 PM
Is there a way to monitor my system temperatures in Windows though I connected my fans not to the mainboard but to the power supply?
Posted By: rharv Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 10:59 PM
Often the bios will allow temperature reports.
Might want to try getting into the bios after rebooting when symptoms appear..

Spybot and Malwarebytes Antimalware are recommended by many for the malware option
Posted By: HappyTrails Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 11:01 PM
Overheating is unlikely.

Copy your data files off to a thumbdrive or CD and re-install from scratch.

It's fatster than trying to figure out what's wrong.
Posted By: Sandra Sherman Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 11:07 PM
That`s true, if I hadn`t about 6 Million programms to reinstall ;-))
Posted By: John Conley Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 11:45 PM
My kids never told me their computer was overheating. My son who moved out last year opened it and set up a small fan. I saw it about 6 months later and asked why it was there and they told me it 'stalled' if the fan wasn't running. It's a year and a half now, and I'm buying my daughter a new one for Christmas (shhhh) so the fan can go into storage.
Posted By: Mac Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 11:51 PM
Don't laugh at what John said, I often troubleshoot a PC box for overheating problems by doing just that -- remove the side cover and point a small household electric fan inside.

If it doesn't freeze up or otherwise show the same symptoms as before, or even if the symptoms do show up but take a much longer time to do so, I can safely assume that there is a heat problem in the box.

Before replacing the entire mobo, though, I'd take a long hard look at the CPU cooling fan. Much cheaper to replace and is the likely culprit IF you are overheating.

--Mac
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: strange computer problem - 11/14/09 11:52 PM
Sandra,
Use PC Wizard 2009. You can install it, and one of the available things is temperatures. It will tell you the temp of the CPU, the mainboard, and other stuff.

What bothers me is that the other programs are still running. What I would suggest doing, in addition to checking the temps (40ÂșC is a good operating temp) is to turn off the power, remove the power cord, open the unit up and reseat the memory chips. Take them all the way out and then reinstall them.

Look at the fan sitting on the CPU, and see if it has a lot of dust and stuff. Carefully, as you might break it, vacuum out the fan, or blow it out with compressed air, as well as checking of other blockages of airflow.

Check to make sure all the connections are correctly in place.

Run the defrag, definitely use Spybot Search and Destroy, don't forget to update it before you begin, and also run a new A/V scan, maybe with Avast, or AVG, or some of the other well known free ones.

Any questions, let us know.

Gary
Posted By: Glenn Kolot Re: strange computer problem - 11/15/09 12:02 AM
Sandra:

If your computer has been off for a few hours (or overnight), can you then start up, and quickly load all the programs without a problem? Or does the problem ONLY happen after it's been on for a while?

When is the last time you removed the cover, and blew/vacuumed out the inside?

The blades of the cooling fans get "crud" on the them that impairs the fan's efficiency. Once a month, I power down, turn off the rear switch, unplug the power cord, remove the cover,and clean everything thoroughly. I use canned air in conjunction with a vacuum cleaner (being careful to use short intermittent blasts from the can so as not to freeze anything). Ensure that the cooling fins of the CPU are clean - lint is a very good conductor.

I'm with Mac - I would first rule out over-heating. It's the easiest first step.

On my music computer, I upgraded from the original to a high quality CPU cooling.

Glenn
Posted By: Lawrie Re: strange computer problem - 11/15/09 02:19 AM
Just to jump on the overheating bandwagon - the CPU is a likely cuplrit - check for dust/fluff in the fins of the CPU heatsink - the fan may be fine (the intel supplied ones last a long time) but the aitflow poor because of crud in the heatsink.

Couple of other places to check:
Power supply - these typically have cheap fans that crap out fairly quickly
Video card - if it has a fan make sure it isn't too hot
RAM - usually cooled by air from the CPU heatsink
CPU on board power supply - Electrolytic capacitors may overheat and dry out - often accompanied by swelling or splitting at the vents of the can.

Don't forget, you computer is probably the best air filter ever built... They seem to attract every bit of dust in the room.

I would also use a second, or even third anti malware utility just to be certain. Malwarebytes is high on our list of usefull tools.
© PG Music Forums