PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Musical Paralysis - 11/07/19 12:54 PM
A study suggests that people over the age of 30 tend not to seek out new music
https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/study-musical-paralysis/
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Musical Paralysis - 11/13/19 10:22 PM
Interesting concept! I'm nearing 30 myself and I find that I'm constantly looking for new music personally. In fact, I use things like Spotify to hopefully find me some good suggestions because I know there's lots of great music out there I haven't heard yet. Altho that may have been true for previous generations, I think that the way that we as a society now have access to music with all these online streaming services is going to change how we access and interact with music as we age. Who knows what'll happen in another 20 years.
Posted By: methodman Re: Musical Paralysis - 11/16/19 11:04 PM
Wow what a bunch of BS. Thirty is when many people have taken the courage to begin to explore different varieties of music. There is Downbeat Magazine for example that can introduce artist's. There is "Great Courses Plus" which has many lectures on psychology of music, classical, jazz, additive and subtractive synthesis even. As well as math and philosophical courses. There are also music guides which list musicians galore that existed during decades. Different decades offer different communication and explore different lesson plans in terms of the music created. Questia library has a lot of books on music. So there are discussions out there. Sure insane people are still listening to old music over and over but the vast majority of people change their perspectives over the decades. I did a rap course and learned all sorts of teaching methods were being introduced by rapping.
https://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/profdev/profdev161_a.shtml

So this idea that people are fixed and conservative is just ignorant. Maybe they talked to people that still use a land line instead of a cell phone home phone.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Musical Paralysis - 11/17/19 10:20 AM
Well I think it depends. First of all exclude musicians - we're not normal in that respect (thankfully).

I think most people quit searching for new music when they have children of their own. Some will hang on to Top40 after childbirth in an effort to hang on to their youth, but most people by their second child want to hear the music of their youth, or new music by their favorite artists as long as it doesn't change from their previous format much.

Of course there are exceptions.

This from the standpoint of a pro musician who watches the audience and plays songs according to what they react positively to.

Insights and incites by Notes

PS Now being a musician, I'm not about to go stagnant. I seek out world music, and continue to discover new symphonic music both from the old masters and the new people keeping that art form alive.

I think as I get older, my tastes for new music get less 'normal' and either more exotic or complex.

Check this out if you have the time. It combines middle-eastern melodies with Soviet era symphonic composition styles and it currently on my playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1BccOVkCV0
© PG Music Forums