PG Music Home
Posted By: pwhack easy to use loop program? - 12/17/09 02:20 PM
Hi there,

I have a few songs in the making which I don't feel biab will be the best for as I need more of a dance style. I need something like Propellerheads Reason with good drum loops and music loops which will fit to the chords I input and at the same time not have a big learning curve, and doesn't cost the earth. Probably might use one or 2 of the realtracks in biab.

Any suggestions for the loop software

Many thanks
Paddy
Posted By: filkertom Re: easy to use loop program? - 12/17/09 03:14 PM
Well, if you're running PC (which it sounds as if you are), Acid Xpress is free.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: easy to use loop program? - 12/17/09 03:15 PM
Paddy,

I'm a Reason semi-fanatic, but I don't think it's the best, or at least the only, choice for what you want to do. In the first place, Reason does not directly support audio. IMO, Reason has a pretty steep learning curve as a whole. The Dr. Rex loop module is easy, but not much comes supplied with the program. You must find or buy loops in the .REX OR .RX2 format. You can create your own REX files with an adjunct Phead program called ReCycle.

You can load MP3 clips into one or more of the modules, but timing might be an issue. However, Reason can be linked to many major DAWs via Rewire, in particular Steinberg Cubase. (Pheads and Steinberg codeveloped the Rewire protocol.)

A better choice for a single solution might be Sony Acid. I haven't done much more than poke a stick at it, but the loop function is easy. Acidized loops can also be pitch shifted and time stretched without difficulty. There is a free version which supports one track of audio, 10 total; you can download it (and find a terrific community of collaborators) at acidplanet. The full version supports all the tracks you would need in any combination of loops and audio.

Cakewalk also provides some inexpensive programs that support loops and audio, but I am less familiar with them. With any of them you get their TTS-1 synth plugin, which works in a 64-bit environment. This can be useful for BIAB/RealBand users. Perhaps someone else will chime in on their offerings.

Finally, have you fully explored the range of BIAB styles, or considered rolling your own? I have been using BIAB as I would use a hardware sequencer a la Jean Michel Jarre or Tangerine Dream. Do a search on Techno in the Stylepicker; you may be surprised what you come up with. You can hear samples of my work at indabamusic. "Try This" was created solely in Acid. The next two were created in BIAB and ported into Reason. The last is BIAB only. I have more that need work before I consider them ready for posting, but BIAB may do more than you expect in the genre you want to explore.

HTH,

R.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: easy to use loop program? - 12/17/09 04:35 PM
Quote:

...good drum loops and music loops which will fit to the chords I input...

Nothing fits the chords you input except for Biab. Looping programs don't do that. If you're asking if you can somehow take outside loops and put them into Biab so Biab can work with them, that is not possible either. Everything Biab does is controlled by the style so it's the style that you're after. Finding or creating your own style in Biab is the way to go here. There are literally thousands of 3rd party styles available. Norton Music is one such company, Notes Norton posts here all the time you can email him about what you need. Another way to do it is to find a midi file of the song you want and let Biab create a style out of it or put it into Real Band and work it up there.

Bob
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: easy to use loop program? - 12/17/09 05:08 PM
A second .... er third for Acid. The proversion is pricey, but the free one will do a lot, and there is a studio version at best buy for around $60 Make sure if you go the studio version you get Acid, not sound forge. With acid, you can "paint" in acidized loops to make tracks and this is very useful for electronic style dance music.
Posted By: Mac Re: easy to use loop program? - 12/17/09 06:17 PM
Loops?

Acid.

Also take a look at Fruity Loops.

--Mac
Posted By: John Conley Re: easy to use loop program? - 12/17/09 06:20 PM
I ate Fruit Loops as a kid. Explains a lot.
Posted By: pwhack Re: easy to use loop program? - 12/17/09 08:03 PM
Thanks very much for all replies. All good advice and will find something here to suit me.

Paddy
© PG Music Forums