PG Music Home

Eleven, forty-four, fifty-five, eleven

OK, there is a musician saying this and you have some idea what is going on. I guess if you know all this "code" your expected to be able to do this also...lol

"Working Mans Blues"

https://youtu.be/u6o-66osFr4

Well...it for sure will be a day or two before I can play like that...lol

On another note, as bad as I sing I like my vocals on this song better than the guy singing...lol

Billy
He certainly has some nice licks, and I like the way he keeps out of the way of the vocalist. Very tidy indeed.
I grew up playing music and it wasn't til much later in life that I learned
there was such a thing as 1-4-5 or I-IV-V if you prefer.

I know now that in the key of C, this would be of course

| C | C | F | F |

| G7 | G7 | C | C |

Kudos to all who have that "book larnin'"

LLOYD S
I grew up playing music and it wasn't til much later in life that I learned
there was such a thing as 1-4-5 or I-IV-V if you prefer.

I know now that in the key of C, this would be of course

| C | C | F | F |

| G7 | G7 | C | C |

Kudos to all who have that "book larnin'"

LLOYD S
It’s a different world these days. When I grew up playing guitar there was a book (Mel Bay off memory) and a kid up the street whose father strummed a few chords of gypsy type music. We learnt a few chords and songs. Up on stage and away we went with a crystal mic plugged into a spare channel in a guitar amp. We were made.

Over time we learnt lots and lots of chords in various positions. We learnt many songs in different keys. We learnt improvisation (or taught ourselves). Maybe we learnt pentatonic scales.

Today it is different, YouTube with almost every top liner offering lessons. People teaching the CAGED System and the Nashville Number System also how to relate the various Pentatonic Scale shapes to the CAGED and Number Systems. I wish I knew all this years ago albeit a lot of it is almost natural to me.

I advise all guitarists to go understand the CAGED and Nashville Number systems it will make playing far easier. It is amazing what one can learn even in their 70s.

My thoughts

Tony
As a guitar player in Ohio (since 1964) I knew exactly what that meant without even reading the post. Basic theory to know the steps of the scale. Like "one of the first things you learn" basic.

This is the clock I have in my studio. Yes, I am a music nerd.

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
As a guitar player in Ohio (since 1964) I knew exactly what that meant without even reading the post. Basic theory to know the steps of the scale. Like "one of the first things you learn" basic.

I love your clock. Using the hands as indicators could provide some interesting results
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

I love your clock. Using the hands as indicators could provide some interesting results

Yeah but does anybody really know what time it is? (“Time” - get it?).

Duckin’, runnin’, hidin’
25 or 6 to 10.
I have been working on Crazy for the vocalist.

Perhaps not quite so basic...lol

Every studio you go to in Nashville will generally have its own slightly different version of the Nashville Number system.

Billy
I grew up in the state to the north of Eddie that shall not be named since Eddie was here first and yeah while we didn’t call it Nashville, this was just rudimentary

It the 80’s being able to arpeggiate and throw an add2 here and there while knowing all of the inversions made the girls sit down next to you on the piano bench like you were in Journey. Add2 became my favorite!!!
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
I grew up in the state to the north of Eddie that shall not be named since Eddie was here first and yeah while we didn’t call it Nashville, this was just rudimentary

It the 80’s being able to arpeggiate and throw an add2 here and there while knowing all of the inversions made the girls sit down next to you on the piano bench like you were in Journey. Add2 became my favorite!!!

Damn! I should have gotten a piano bench to sit on while I played guitar! smile
Posted By: Jim Fogle The Nashville Number System Book - 12/18/21 11:17 PM
For anyone wanting to take a deep dive into the Nashville numbering system, +++ The Nashville Number System +++ by Chas Williams.

One of the unique features of this book is the book includes a CD song collection with each song charted by five notable session arrangers. Ten arrangers in all charted songs for this book.

The idea is that you ll be able to compare, side by side, some of the different styles of notation and symbols you can use to chart the same piece of music. So, as you listen to a song on the cd, you can flip between different charts written of the same song.
These different charts represent the kinds of numbering techniques that you are liable to run into in almost all of the major recording and television studios, clubs, showcases, rehearsal halls, and other situations where music is performed in Nashville.
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
I have been working on Crazy for the vocalist.

Perhaps not quite so basic...lol

Every studio you go to in Nashville will generally have its own slightly different version of the Nashville Number system.

Billy

The idea of course was to make it easy for key changes etc. No need to write a new chart and so on. I used to hang out with Owen Bradley as a young teen, he and my Aunt were good friends. Anyway he showed me this a long long time ago. It was very popular in the Nashville studios hence the name. I am sure others had similar systems in place.

Do copyist get work anymore? With everything electronic anymore seems like you can make changes on the computer and print out the music for the whole orchestra. Remember the days when Nelson Riddle would orchestrate a song in the back of his car on the way to the studio, some poor soul had to create all the parts for all the players, then they would rehearse it, record it all in the same day.
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

That's so frustrating. I tend to use the Roman Numerals system, which should really be consistent, but find people who'll write a minor chord as IIm or II- rather than ii. Ho Hum.

Of course Arabic (really Indian) numbers are more familiar for people to read.
© PG Music Forums