PG Music Home
Posted By: Scott C Sliding - 02/20/23 06:48 PM
Here is is my first solo post for 2023. Robert and I have a couple of songs in the oven. This song I merge two different BIAB styles which is one of my favorite features of BIAB. Can make the instrumental songs a little more interesting I think.

Sliding

The Band:
Key=A , Tempo 70, Length (m:s)=4:27
No intro. 74 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 74. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Tempo, Styles,RealDrums Changes,
Style is _RECLINE.STY (Recline Americana Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 2877:Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
RealTracks in style: 910:Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothBallad Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 3113:Guitar, Nylon, Fingerpicking Folk16thsBrent Ev16 060
RealTracks in style: 1152:Silence
RealDrums in style:AmericanaRoots16th^02-a:Sidestick, b:Snare

My guitar was my white strat and effects were blended via my Helix LT and Helix Native on a dry track..
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sliding - 02/20/23 07:01 PM
Scott,

Nice playing. Clean.
Nice clean tone, too...

There is a tone change in the guitar @ 1:12 that tugged at my ear.

The change up of styles was interesting.
Well mixed.

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sliding - 02/20/23 09:37 PM
Scott, Love that guitar tone on the intro and ending. The mid section was very good also.

Great chops Scott, like Floyd said very clean
Mixed extremely well also.

IMHO, this is actually two different songs that may have sounded better separated. But that is just my opinion and others may or may not agree with me.

Regardless this is a super instrumental played by a very talented guitarist.
Posted By: rayc Re: Sliding - 02/20/23 09:39 PM
The tone that starts at 0.48 is one of your signature Spirit Level ones. Very tasty.
The style changes are interesting...it made clear sense the 1st time but the move from the middle to the final style needs some development - a bridge or som e other mechanism to make the change OR a complete stop & a moment's silence perhaps.That last part came more as a tack on to my ears.
Some great melody in this one.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sliding - 02/20/23 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Scott,

Nice playing. Clean.
Nice clean tone, too...

There is a tone change in the guitar @ 1:12 that tugged at my ear.

The change up of styles was interesting.
Well mixed.

fj

Thanks so much for checking out the song. I went back and did some tweaking to the tone on the first verse.

Yes tried to break this song up into different versions. This song was very much an experimental piece. Some of it may end up in future Spirit Level tunes.

Really glad you liked the mix. This means allot to me something I have been working on for the last three years..
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Sliding - 02/21/23 07:27 AM
First of all, love the slide playing during the first part and the outro! Perfect intonation and great tone.

Second part is neat too, nice melody, and cool when you bring in the wha.

It works well as it is an an instrumental, and I see where you were going with the change of styles. Could also work as two separate songs as Mario mentioned.

Good stuff, Scott, and great to see you with a new one!
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Sliding - 02/21/23 11:15 AM
Excellent guitar playing Scott and I like how you incorporated 2 styles in 1 song. I look at style 1 as the intro and outro and style 2 everything else.

Very creative.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Sliding - 02/21/23 11:33 AM
Yeah, that's a cool feature and you used it so well here, Scott. HA, an appropriate title for sure. Yet you not only used the slide guitar, but also gave the sense of someone sliding from their goal, then picking it up with the change in style. Man, I really enjoy your playing. Wah-wah is cool too. Then the character slides back into a comfortable ending. Great taste throughout!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Sliding - 02/21/23 02:31 PM
Scott,

This has it all!

Love the tempo changes and guitar tones.

Great stuff.

Bob
Posted By: PeterF Re: Sliding - 02/21/23 06:02 PM
Scott

A nice melodic instrumental, I liked the juxtaposition of the 2 styles.

Well played throughout, tasteful, with nice tone & dynamics.

Well done.

Peter
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Sliding - 02/21/23 09:14 PM
Whoah, really nice work on the strat my friend.

Very tasty and smooth!

Nice!!!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sliding - 02/21/23 11:30 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Scott, Love that guitar tone on the intro and ending. The mid section was very good also.

Great chops Scott, like Floyd said very clean
Mixed extremely well also.

IMHO, this is actually two different songs that may have sounded better separated. But that is just my opinion and others may or may not agree with me.

Regardless this is a super instrumental played by a very talented guitarist.

Thanks Mario for checking out the song. Really glad you liked the slide section. This took quite a few takes as I have not spent allot time with the slide. Much easier on the fingers but hard not hitting above or below the note.

I am hoping some of the pieces of the song i.e tone or melody will make it into some of our new Spirit Level songs. Really glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: rayc
The tone that starts at 0.48 is one of your signature Spirit Level ones. Very tasty.
The style changes are interesting...it made clear sense the 1st time but the move from the middle to the final style needs some development - a bridge or som e other mechanism to make the change OR a complete stop & a moment's silence perhaps.That last part came more as a tack on to my ears.
Some great melody in this one.

Thanks Ray for checking out the song. I try and use different amps, cabs and effects on each song but there are some many adjustments to the tone of each of the pieces that I think my ear takes me back to my comfort zone. Kind of like an old horse heading for the barn..
I pushed some of the sections quite a bit to see how well received they would be. Some need a bit more tweaking. Glad you liked the song
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Sliding - 02/22/23 10:13 AM
Hi Scott,

You did a wonderful job on the guitar.
Even 3 wonderful jobs, two on the different styles, and then the wah wah in the middle. I never heard you plaing that before!

I think it is not always easy to merge styles that are very different. as Mario wrote, you could easily have made this two songs.
But on the other hand, now you made an enjoyable song with two pleasant surprises in it. Starting slowly, going up and sliding back again.
I enjoyed it a lot!

Hans
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Sliding - 02/22/23 12:04 PM
scott.

talent all the way and i love the thought you put into this mate. great paceing too.

a very emotive song. nice tempo changes.

i hear this i hope you dont me saying as playing along with a documentary film showing people para sailing and gliders also.

what a guitar player !..seriously.

happiness.

om
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Sliding - 02/22/23 12:38 PM
Hi Scott,

Lovely guitar tones - very enjoyable.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: firesong Re: Sliding - 02/22/23 01:32 PM
Hey Scott...great variety in melody, styles and tone...as usual your stellar professional sound and stylings are showcased here...the first and last segments almost have a Hawaiian flavor (it's the slide) and the more classic rock ballad middle is really ripe with great tone and a cool melody...I'm a fan (but you know that!)
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Sliding - 02/22/23 01:44 PM
Hi Scott love the tone and mix enjoyed very much thanks for sharing, Eric.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Sliding - 02/22/23 02:16 PM
Very nice tune. I like the style changes, definitely makes the song interesting, you have used BIAB very creatively by choosing styles that work together very well. The guitar tone changes are enjoyable. The chord progression and the melody are also beautiful. And of course your talented guitar playing is something to admire.

Janne
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Sliding - 02/22/23 04:33 PM
Great guitar tone and playing, and a good idea with different styles, although I know from experience that BIAB doesn't really support it as it should (yes, I opened a ticket for it).
The styles you chose work well together.

Personally, I wouldn't change your guitar tone that often, first to keep the song more consistent and second because I really like the tone you started with. A lot smile
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Sliding - 02/23/23 09:14 PM
Intro is nice peaceful guitar melody. I like the transition into the peppy and sprite section. The end is satisfying with the return of the initial guitar part.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Sliding - 02/24/23 02:08 AM
Nice sampling of lead guitar styles! smile
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Sliding - 02/24/23 02:25 AM
Scott,

Rhythm change and tone change are interesting.
Your guitar in the slow part sounds really beautiful.
The melody is simple, and it looks like it will have great lyrics soon.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sliding - 02/24/23 01:06 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
First of all, love the slide playing during the first part and the outro! Perfect intonation and great tone.

Second part is neat too, nice melody, and cool when you bring in the wha.

It works well as it is an an instrumental, and I see where you were going with the change of styles. Could also work as two separate songs as Mario mentioned.

Good stuff, Scott, and great to see you with a new one!

Thanks Dave. Really glad you liked the song. Pushed the settings quite a bit on some of the effects.

Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Excellent guitar playing Scott and I like how you incorporated 2 styles in 1 song. I look at style 1 as the intro and outro and style 2 everything else.

Very creative.

Thanks BT. Glad you liked the song. I have been enjoying your instrumentals as well

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Yeah, that's a cool feature and you used it so well here, Scott. HA, an appropriate title for sure. Yet you not only used the slide guitar, but also gave the sense of someone sliding from their goal, then picking it up with the change in style. Man, I really enjoy your playing. Wah-wah is cool too. Then the character slides back into a comfortable ending. Great taste throughout!

Thanks Marty for checking out the song. Glad you got a chuckle out of the title. Really appreciate your comments.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Sliding - 02/24/23 04:56 PM
Scott, This one covered a lot of different bases. My favorite part was the slide. Perfect intonation. Kind of a Harrison style. Nicely done. I enjoyed it, Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sliding - 02/25/23 09:35 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Scott,

This has it all!

Love the tempo changes and guitar tones.

Great stuff.

Bob

Thanks allot Bob for checking out the song. Really glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Scott

A nice melodic instrumental, I liked the juxtaposition of the 2 styles.

Well played throughout, tasteful, with nice tone & dynamics.

Well done.

Peter

Thanks Peter Your comments are very much appreciated. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Whoah, really nice work on the strat my friend.

Very tasty and smooth!

Nice!!!

Thanks David Really glad you liked the song. Thanks for checking it out..
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sliding - 02/27/23 11:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Scott,

You did a wonderful job on the guitar.
Even 3 wonderful jobs, two on the different styles, and then the wah wah in the middle. I never heard you plaing that before!

I think it is not always easy to merge styles that are very different. as Mario wrote, you could easily have made this two songs.
But on the other hand, now you made an enjoyable song with two pleasant surprises in it. Starting slowly, going up and sliding back again.
I enjoyed it a lot!

Hans

Thank you Hans. Thanks for checking out the song. Your comments are very much appreciated. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
scott.

talent all the way and i love the thought you put into this mate. great paceing too.

a very emotive song. nice tempo changes.

i hear this i hope you dont me saying as playing along with a documentary film showing people para sailing and gliders also.

what a guitar player !..seriously.

happiness.

om

Thanks om for the kind words. Really appreciate you checking out the song and the kind words.

Thanks Nigel for checking out the song. Glad you liked it..
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sliding - 03/01/23 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Hey Scott...great variety in melody, styles and tone...as usual your stellar professional sound and stylings are showcased here...the first and last segments almost have a Hawaiian flavor (it's the slide) and the more classic rock ballad middle is really ripe with great tone and a cool melody...I'm a fan (but you know that!)

Thanks Dan for checking out the song. Really glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi Scott love the tone and mix enjoyed very much thanks for sharing, Eric.

Thanks Eric. Good to hear from you. Gald you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice tune. I like the style changes, definitely makes the song interesting, you have used BIAB very creatively by choosing styles that work together very well. The guitar tone changes are enjoyable. The chord progression and the melody are also beautiful. And of course your talented guitar playing is something to admire.

Janne

Thanks Janne Really appreciate your comments. thanks for checking out the song.

Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Great guitar tone and playing, and a good idea with different styles, although I know from experience that BIAB doesn't really support it as it should (yes, I opened a ticket for it).
The styles you chose work well together.

Personally, I wouldn't change your guitar tone that often, first to keep the song more consistent and second because I really like the tone you started with. A lot smile

Thanks B.D. for checking out the song. Most of my instrumentals are experimental pieces that are used to setup up songs for my work with Robert in Spirit Level. Glad you liked the song.

Intro is nice peaceful guitar melody. I like the transition into the peppy and sprite section. The end is satisfying with the return of the initial guitar part.

Thanks Scott. Really glad you checked out the song. Glad you liked it as well..
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Sliding - 03/04/23 08:01 PM
What a cool style mashup!

Well performed and engaging all the way around Scott.

And it's all wrapped up in a nice mix.

MOST enjoyable,

J&B
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Sliding - 03/05/23 04:16 PM
Scott, this was on my list for some time. Sorry late for the party, but I am glad I fished it before it swam away.

Very neat style fusion. Started as funky Hawaiiana and "slided" to so many interesting places. Excellent work on composition and guitar playing!
Good mix & listens well. No complaints smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Sliding - 03/05/23 06:26 PM
Hi Scott.
I agree the change could be smoother but it's a fine piece anyhow.
Lovely play and tone on the guitar.

Vic
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Sliding - 03/06/23 01:41 PM
Hi Scott
Great song
Sounds really good
And your guitar sound is really top
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sliding - 03/08/23 11:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm

Thanks Scott for checking out the song. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice sampling of lead guitar styles! smile

Thanks David Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Scott,

Rhythm change and tone change are interesting.
Your guitar in the slow part sounds really beautiful.
The melody is simple, and it looks like it will have great lyrics soon.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki for very kind comments. Very much appreciated. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Scott, This one covered a lot of different bases. My favorite part was the slide. Perfect intonation. Kind of a Harrison style. Nicely done. I enjoyed it, Tom

Thanks Tommy for checking out the song. Also thanks for the comments on the slide. REally means allot to me. Glad you liked it..

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
What a cool style mashup!

Well performed and engaging all the way around Scott.

And it's all wrapped up in a nice mix.

MOST enjoyable,

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud for checking out the song. Your comments are very much appreciated. Glad you liked it..
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sliding - 03/18/23 04:40 PM

BT, Marty, Bob, Peter, David, Hans, om, Nigel, Dan, Eric, Janne, B.D and Scott. Thanks so much for checking out the song. I really appreciate your comments. Will put this one to bed now.
© PG Music Forums