PG Music Home
Posted By: Rick Hansen Down Bound Train - 05/13/23 11:41 PM
While searching around for something to fit the lyrics that I wrote I stumbled upon "GUMBO.STY"and a smile crossed my face. I removed the tracks that didn't quite fit but I kept quite a bit in the final mix. It's a Blues/Country/Rock tune I hope someone enjoys. I offered to pay the band but they wouldn't take anything cool so here it is..."Down Bound Train".

https://youtu.be/O40IS9zP56Y

Rick
Posted By: Al-David Re: Down Bound Train - 05/14/23 02:03 AM
Hi Rick ...

I sure do enjoy some Country-Rock Blues. And this one fills the bill just right. And as the lyric says, we oughta listen to our Mamas. They're usually quite a bit smarter than we are, particularly when we're at the stage of life when we think we know it all. Great backing tracks, lyric, and vocal. I do think the vocal could be just a bit louder, though. Other than that, not a thing wrong with this. It was a real nice listen! Good work. Enjoyed it a lot!

Alan
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Down Bound Train - 05/14/23 08:37 AM
I like it!
Speed it up a bit and the "Blues Brothers" vibe comes across perfectly.
I would make the vocals a bit louder, they are good so there's no reason to hide them smile
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Down Bound Train - 05/15/23 10:52 AM
Excellent, Rick. I got my YT notification on this one this morning, and had to jump to it. Love trains and the songs you do so it was a no-brainer. Terrific song. Love the Blues, man, and this is a fun one. Excellent band choices. I'll agree with BD about upping the vocal track a bit, but the speed is perfect for the feel. Downbound trains go slower, right? smile
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: Down Bound Train - 05/15/23 07:28 PM
Thanks all for listening. It's true, as you all say I need to bring up the vocals a bit but what can I say...I'm a electric guitar player!!!! Vocals shmokles LOL. To late to change this release , its all out there now but I will pay more attention to it next time. Thanks for the input, I respect people here a lot.

Rick
Posted By: MarioD Re: Down Bound Train - 05/15/23 08:39 PM
I love the blues and this song is a good as any blues song on the radio and it should be on the radio today!

Your vocal is perfect for this song.

Excellent work!
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Down Bound Train - 05/15/23 09:32 PM
Howdy Rick....

This is a good blues rocker.
I'll gladly echo all other comments
Besides....who doesn't like a song about trains.
I like it and the vox is fine for my ears.

Yeah....I frequently get the same response on my vox db levels.
Although I always appreciate the perception of our peers I won't be remixing/re-uploading because of a couple db in vox volume when it sounds fine on Kens' system and mine.
That's the final decision criteria IMO.
Me too....I'm just a guitar player. (one that attempts to sing. smile )

Well done!
Posted By: rayc Re: Down Bound Train - 05/16/23 05:40 AM
Pretty good chugg'n bluesy stuff.
There's a fair bit of hiss in the back ground.
At 1st I thought it might be the ride but I don't think it is.
Your sibilance seems to take a leap in the reverb.
You could use a de-esser, an EQ that or deal with it manually.
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: Down Bound Train - 05/16/23 04:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up Ray. I'll be the first to admit I played WAY too many shows WAYYYY too loud without ear protection. These days I rely on software to find this stuff. I just incorporated a new plug in called "Vocal Finalizer" and it may be the culprit.It has a few settings I am just learning so I hope to track this stuff down but I love the plugin.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
Rick
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Down Bound Train - 05/17/23 12:38 AM
Hi Rick,

Promising blues - as others have mentioned I would love to hear it with your voice a lot, lot louder. Vocals are always upfront in the Blues. No need for a remix just lift the fader on the vocals 2-3Db.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: Down Bound Train - 05/18/23 12:14 PM
Quick update, changes made. Thank you all for the input it's invaluable and much appreciated. Next.....

Rick
Posted By: rsdean Re: Down Bound Train - 05/18/23 01:26 PM
Rick,

Excellent song. You have a great sounding voice for the blues. Nicely done!

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Down Bound Train - 05/18/23 01:52 PM
Nice work on the blues. I didn't hear the previous draft but this one sounds good
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Down Bound Train - 05/24/23 06:08 PM
Blues guitar, lyric about heaven and hell, trains and a smoky blues vocal - oh, yeah!
smile

We enjoyed the performances and the video, Rick. Cool!

J&B
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: Down Bound Train - 05/24/23 10:24 PM
Really enjoyable tune! Great hook and cool story about his woman going down with him!
© PG Music Forums