PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic Frida Gough - 05/20/23 10:36 AM
Frida Gough on Soundcloud
Frida Gough on YouTube

This is a song about the artwork on my cellphone cover that was created by our daughter, Celeste. It's from a painting she did in art class of Frida Kahlo, the famous artist from Mexico. Years later when we visited Cabo San Lucas we got free drinks everywhere we went when people noticed my phone. Of course, after the first time, I had a habit of leaving my cellphone face-down on the table so Frida's face was on display.

File:Frida Gough.SGU
Key=Em , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=3:32
Style is _SABROSO.STY (Sabroso Latin Rock Quartet)

RealTracks in style: ~686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 4172:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm LatinRock Ev 125
RealDrums in Song: CongasEv8Med[single]
RealDrums in Song:LatinRock8thsPerc^2-a:SnareClosedHat , b:SnareBellRide

You can see I changed the Drums and added conga for the Style. Dave Bell (Blue Attitude) was in fine Latin form for this one. I played bass and sang.

Frida Gough

There I was studying the menu when my cellphone rang.
I muted it and placed it on the table down.
Then I smiled at the waitress and told her I was sorry.
She just stared at my phone.
She said, "Who's that on the back? Is that our Frida Kahlo?"

Frida Gough, that's the name I gave her when she first was made.
An artist's stroke created by our daughter. Made to get a grade.

Then she gasped and ran into the kitchen screaming for the crew.
They all came out and walked up to our tableside.
They all smiled with big hellos, admiring my cellphone,
and cheered, "You drink's on the house."
I didn't miss a beat and ordered some Famous Grouse.

Frida Gough, face-up on the table down in Mexico
brings free drinks wherever they remember Frida Kahlo.

The Playa Grande and even Todo Santos filled our cups with wine.
A caipirinha, Dos Equis and a mudslide free.
We all danced our way through Cabo,
thanking Frida Kahlo, living life at its best.
They bring another round to toast our daughter Celeste.

Frida Gough, tequila and the lemons down in Mexico
are free to go wherever they remember Frida Kahlo.
Frida. Frida. Frida, Frida. Frida. Frida Kahlo. ¡Salud!

Intro--- Em Em Am Am Em Em B7%

V--- Em Em Am Am Em Em B7 B7
Am Am Em Em N7 B7 Em B7

CH--- G G D D G G F Bm7%

End--- (G G D D)2 G G D B7% ...Em%
Posted By: firesong Re: Frida Gough - 05/20/23 02:02 PM
Marty...great story telling...I somehow think you could sing the phonebook (wait...are there phonebooks anymore?) anyway your songwriting and creative skills are always a delight...this song and video were a trip (and south of the border no less!)...so recognizable at this point is you and Dave's signature sound...the flawless bass and smooth guitar work and spot-on mix are there of coarse and your clever play on word's style always work for me...fun in spades!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Frida Gough - 05/20/23 06:11 PM
Marty,

Great story and great song.

Awesome arrangement and excellent track selections. Love Dave's guitar lines and your vocal - one of your best!

Enjoyed this one a lot!

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Frida Gough - 05/21/23 01:27 PM
Marty,

A good story! Well told! Good write.
Good tracks. Well mixed.
Dave's guitar is exquisite, as always.
You know I love that Bass!!!
Cool video, too.

Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Frida Gough - 05/21/23 04:19 PM
I think you're the first person to write a song about a cell phone cover.
I love your "everyday" stories, I think that's a special skill that not everyone has.

Great storytelling and what you and Dave do with your respective guitars, and a good mix that ties it all together.
Me likes!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Frida Gough - 05/21/23 04:40 PM
Marty, Dave and Celeste

That was fun! Quite unusual subject, but worked out great. Cool mixture of styles. Almost Latin reggae. Vocals and bass is up to specs. Dave's guitar is hot! Mix is very clear. If I listened to it before reading notes, I would of thought that tune is a tribute to your favorite artist. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Frida Gough - 05/21/23 07:33 PM
Yep, Misha's got it: Latin reggae. Absolutely brilliant, one of your best. Dave sounds like Carlos Santana on this one smile And what a song. Your pride at your daughter's painting shows, and SHE must be so proud of YOUR musical skills! The lyrics are genius and ingenious: love the "house/Grouse" rhyme, as well as the "best, Celeste".

You have talent to burn, my friend. And I'm always happy after I hear your songs. Not a common quality to have, that one. A number of my songs, for example, mostly send people wanting to shoot themselves, I think ... for a variety of reasons, haha. Other songwriters (none from this forum!) can elicit indifference, at best. You put a smile on people's faces. Superb job. Truly, one of your best, I think!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Frida Gough - 05/21/23 07:51 PM
"I didn't miss a beat and ordered some Famous Grouse"

Really enjoyed this. Great write and lots of fun.
Thanks for posting Babu.
Posted By: rayc Re: Frida Gough - 05/22/23 03:21 AM
Great story well told.
Poor Frida lived a very hard life. It's great that she brought good fortune to someone other than her unfaithful partners.
Bright, breezy, happy sound and a great vocal...of course the bass is ace.
Oh, nice work on the name too. You reminded me of Freda Peoples and, of course, ghoti.
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: Frida Gough - 05/22/23 09:24 AM
Great!!! I like the lyrics telling of the story. I like the guitar work in the intro and throughout the song.
Good use of real tracks a really good mix and production
Good job
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Frida Gough - 05/22/23 10:03 AM
Nice work. I like story songs. And it has a Latin feel. Sweet guitar reminiscent of Carlos... the man.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Frida Gough - 05/22/23 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Marty...great story telling...I somehow think you could sing the phonebook (wait...are there phonebooks anymore?) anyway your songwriting and creative skills are always a delight...this song and video were a trip (and south of the border no less!)...so recognizable at this point is you and Dave's signature sound...the flawless bass and smooth guitar work and spot-on mix are there of coarse and your clever play on word's style always work for me...fun in spades!

Thanks, Dan. Phonebook, huh? Maybe the numbers, but some of those names are too difficult. Our friend Ray was only 93 then. He'll be 99 early July, and he just got back from a visit to Florida. I want to grow up to be just like him.

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Marty,

Great story and great song.

Awesome arrangement and excellent track selections. Love Dave's guitar lines and your vocal - one of your best!

Enjoyed this one a lot!

Bob

Thanks, Bob. It sure was a fun trip, but we really couldn't find a bartender who makes a good caipirinha.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

A good story! Well told! Good write.
Good tracks. Well mixed.
Dave's guitar is exquisite, as always.
You know I love that Bass!!!
Cool video, too.

Enjoyed.

fj

Thank you, Floyd. You are a strong influence, sir.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Frida Gough - 05/22/23 11:05 AM

Great Groove Marty! Love the painting too!
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Frida Gough - 05/22/23 02:27 PM
Hi Celeste, Marty and Dave
It's really interesting what stories can be behind the development of a song ;-)
But also musically the song knows how to convince
Sounds really very good
Your vocals fit very well to the Latin sound
And the guitar of Dave 'Carlos' Bell sounds fantastic ;-))))
Add one or two Corona Extra and a Tequila and life is perfect...
Great work from all
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Frida Gough - 05/24/23 08:41 AM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I think you're the first person to write a song about a cell phone cover.
I love your "everyday" stories, I think that's a special skill that not everyone has.

Great storytelling and what you and Dave do with your respective guitars, and a good mix that ties it all together.
Me likes!

Thanks, BD. My theory is at least 8 people wrote about cell phone covers and no one will ever hear of any of us.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty, Dave and Celeste

That was fun! Quite unusual subject, but worked out great. Cool mixture of styles. Almost Latin reggae. Vocals and bass is up to specs. Dave's guitar is hot! Mix is very clear. If I listened to it before reading notes, I would of thought that tune is a tribute to your favorite artist. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Glad you like it, Misha. Latin Reggae, yeah I like it. Actually the tune IS a tribute to my favorite artist.

Originally Posted By: musician17
Yep, Misha's got it: Latin reggae. Absolutely brilliant, one of your best. Dave sounds like Carlos Santana on this one smile And what a song. Your pride at your daughter's painting shows, and SHE must be so proud of YOUR musical skills! The lyrics are genius and ingenious: love the "house/Grouse" rhyme, as well as the "best, Celeste".

You have talent to burn, my friend. And I'm always happy after I hear your songs. Not a common quality to have, that one. A number of my songs, for example, mostly send people wanting to shoot themselves, I think ... for a variety of reasons, haha. Other songwriters (none from this forum!) can elicit indifference, at best. You put a smile on people's faces. Superb job. Truly, one of your best, I think!

Wow, James, THANKS!! Dave Santana has a lot of different sir names and wears each one as if it's the way he played all his life. Yeah, that Grouse rhyme came when I tried to find something that rhymed with house and was expensive. Although it's famous, I never heard of it. You KNOW I never had that feeling of shooting myself over your songs. I'm a fan.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Frida Gough - 05/24/23 08:40 PM
Marty, only you could write a winner of a song about a cell phone cover!

Great vocal and mix but the lyrics took it over the top for me.

The video matched the song perfectly.

And of course Dave's guitar was the icing on the cake.

Great work gentlemen!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Frida Gough - 05/25/23 07:14 AM
Hi Marty ...

I'm a sucker for a good story song - even if it's about a most unusual subject for a song! Love all your stuff! This one pust a big ole smile on my face. And Dave's guitar work is always superb.

So, what's not to like? Just one thing ... I didn't write it! Dang!

Your creativity knows no bounds!!!

Alan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Frida Gough - 05/25/23 08:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
"I didn't miss a beat and ordered some Famous Grouse"

Really enjoyed this. Great write and lots of fun.
Thanks for posting Babu.

Ah, you know about Famous Grouse, Rob? I never heard of it but it was a good rhyme with drinks on the house. smile Thanks for giving it a spin and your comment, Rob.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Great story well told.
Poor Frida lived a very hard life. It's great that she brought good fortune to someone other than her unfaithful partners.
Bright, breezy, happy sound and a great vocal...of course the bass is ace.
Oh, nice work on the name too. You reminded me of Freda Peoples and, of course, ghoti.

Your vast knowledge is quite amazing, Ray. Thanks so much. An artist friend of mine's work reminds me a lot of Freda People.

Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Great!!! I like the lyrics telling of the story. I like the guitar work in the intro and throughout the song.
Good use of real tracks a really good mix and production
Good job

Thank you, Elliott. Pairing up with Dave Bell has many rewards.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Frida Gough - 05/26/23 12:50 PM
Lovely story behind the inspiration. Happy hour music, salud & cheers! Your music is the best free drink for my cup.
Nice Latin groove - creative chord progression, catchy melody, smooth bass, Dave's playing and always pleasant vocal track give a unique and memorable mood.

Janne
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Frida Gough - 05/26/23 01:17 PM
Marty,

That thing moves and moves the listener! The Black Magic woman vibe is clearly working here and there's nobody around this forum that can nail Carlos's sound any better than Dave! I can't get over how quickly you turn out these songs! Your mind must be constantly working on something new! Love the ending! Great work!

Thanks, TB
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Frida Gough - 05/27/23 09:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice work. I like story songs. And it has a Latin feel. Sweet guitar reminiscent of Carlos... the man.

Thanks, Herb. Hey, I'm enjoying listening to your progress with synth voices.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Great Groove Marty! Love the painting too!

Hi, David. Thanks. I was just talking with Hans about you --how I want to grow up to be just like you or something. I see you have a new one here --next stop.

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Celeste, Marty and Dave
It's really interesting what stories can be behind the development of a song ;-)
But also musically the song knows how to convince
Sounds really very good
Your vocals fit very well to the Latin sound
And the guitar of Dave 'Carlos' Bell sounds fantastic ;-))))
Add one or two Corona Extra and a Tequila and life is perfect...
Great work from all
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi. Cool you included Celeste's name in your acknowledgements. Admittedly the song is a bit of an exaggeration. I mean, everyone recognized the painting and they were all quite excited, but we only had one place buy us free drinks.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Marty, only you could write a winner of a song about a cell phone cover!

Great vocal and mix but the lyrics took it over the top for me.

The video matched the song perfectly.

And of course Dave's guitar was the icing on the cake.

Great work gentlemen!

Thank you, Mario. Much appreciated, sir.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Frida Gough - 05/27/23 07:30 PM
They say to write what you know. wink

Cool song, and some smoking guitar solos as well.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Frida Gough - 05/28/23 09:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Marty ...

I'm a sucker for a good story song - even if it's about a most unusual subject for a song! Love all your stuff! This one pust a big ole smile on my face. And Dave's guitar work is always superb.

So, what's not to like? Just one thing ... I didn't write it! Dang!

Your creativity knows no bounds!!!

Alan

Thanks, Alan. Oddly enough I feel like you DID write it --or at least inspired it. Glad it brought a smile.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Lovely story behind the inspiration. Happy hour music, salud & cheers! Your music is the best free drink for my cup.
Nice Latin groove - creative chord progression, catchy melody, smooth bass, Dave's playing and always pleasant vocal track give a unique and memorable mood.

Janne

Thank you, Janne. I really appreciate your encouraging comments. Salud.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Marty,

That thing moves and moves the listener! The Black Magic woman vibe is clearly working here and there's nobody around this forum that can nail Carlos's sound any better than Dave! I can't get over how quickly you turn out these songs! Your mind must be constantly working on something new! Love the ending! Great work!

Thanks, TB

Thanks, Torrey. Yes, Dave is a treat in many ways and in many styles. Right? I can't stop. Finished like 22 songs this year so far, and a bunch in the hopper.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Frida Gough - 05/28/23 10:44 PM
Awesome tune Marty. Excellent vocal and bass lines. Loved the lyric and video. Dave's guitar was a perfect add to the song. Well done...
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Frida Gough - 05/29/23 08:10 PM
I just pressed play and hadn't looked at the band list. I instantly said, "That's Dave's guitar!" Sure nuff, I was right.

Cool back story, and you told that story well lyrically.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Frida Gough - 06/01/23 04:17 PM
What a joyous song you made from such a cool story, Marty!

Dave’s guitar opening set the stage perfectly and Janice’s “happy feet” kept going throughout the song. smile

Your vocal truly reflects the fun you had on this adventure and, as always, you bass is spot on.
And the BiaB guys laid down a good session.

Also, the video is delightful and we loved the ending photo.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

PS Does Celeste share in the writing credit? smile
© PG Music Forums