my last chance for love
   my last chance for love
   i gotta do this right
   this might be
   my last chance for love

i gotta do this right
   this might be
   my last chance for love

There will be other chances...but why not comment anyway???

fj
Posted By: rsdean Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/04/23 12:25 PM
Floyd,

This song is an emotional wipeout...

I could have this on repeat all day. Absolutely beautiful and superbly produced. Your vocal is stunning.

Some of the best new music I have heard this year.

LOVED IT!

Bob
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/04/23 12:52 PM
You have us spoiled Floyd, before the 1st guitar strum we know it's going to be another top-shelf, pull the heart strings song.

Masterful is all I can say.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/05/23 12:34 PM
Floyd,

An excellent write by you and Mike! Yes we are getting older but your voice still sounds like a young man! Boy can I relate to this one...lyrics really speak to a lot of folks!
BTW that soloist guitar track really put a charge into this and sounded fantastic!

Thanks, TB
Posted By: MarioD Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/05/23 05:40 PM
Floyd, when I heard "i aint gettin' no younger
certainly no smarter" I thought that you wrote a song about me!

A really great love song with the perfect backing band.
Great vocal, as usual.
Great mix, as usual.
Floyd you are a professional for sure.

Loved it.
Posted By: firesong Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/05/23 07:53 PM
Floyd...you had me at "I ain't getting no younger"...I think you had all of us "seniors" at that point...super idea for a song...so well written and lovely melody...man you write great stuff! and the production was clean and crystal clear...really nice country ballad! kudos!!
Posted By: rayc Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/05/23 11:41 PM
Lovely song, lovely vocal performance and lovely arrangement.
I think the solo could be EQ mellowed just a little but it's probably my cruddy ears.
Every "break" in the voice is a break in a heart.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/06/23 09:21 AM
Dang, man, you write instant classics --often anthems, in fact, no matter who your writing partner is. Another gorgeous write with a pro production. Do you have any songs you wrote when you were four, Floyd? If so, please send it to me. I need a lower bar. wink
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/06/23 12:52 PM
Man, Floyd, you are one high-quality, prolific writer/artist! Another top-shelfer.

Dewey
Posted By: Al-David Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/06/23 05:53 PM
Hi Floyd ...

I know Mike slightly from the other music site we once belonged to at the same time. and yes, he's an excellent lyricist.

As I listened, Ed Bruce kept running through my mind. He's the only person I can think of who might have sung this as good as you do. I nearly cried when he died a few years back. He was always one of my favorites for many years. But you leave me with many of the pleasures I enjoyed when listening to him. I think that's a very fitting analogy.

A small suggestion, FWIW:

yea, there's some *age* in my eyes - yeah, got some *years* in my eyes

Just a very small, probably insignificant thing, but it crossed my mind. But, there's not a thing wrong with it as written. Feel free to ignore.

This is another stellar song. I miss this style of music. Thanks for continuing to give it life.

Alan

Posted By: dcuny Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/07/23 04:00 AM
Hi, floyd jane.

Man, you know how to sing a song. That phrasing:

My last chance for... (slight pause) love...

Great write with Mike - it's got me rooting for the underdog.

Love the arrangement and the mix as well.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/07/23 10:17 AM
I have finally begun to understand that the surface level meanings of songs are not what is really going on beneath the surface.

That being said, I hear this song and production as a cry of piercing pain in the deepest recesses of a tortured soul and I know what you're saying.

You're saying that this is the very last chance that you'll have for someone to comment on one of your songs in the forum, a desperate, heart-wrenching, gut-wrenching plea for love, like a knife in the stomach and an ax in the heart, a wounded, remorseful pain-filled plea for just someone, anyone in a vast empty dark swirling cosmos to listen and understand and reach out their hands in the virtual blind pit of the band in a box forum just to say you are my friend, I hear you, I understand, and I love your song.

Man, I could feel this in every chord of this song and every fiber of my being.

I hope I'm not over interpreting, but Floyd I just want to let you know man there will be another chance for you to post another song and another chance for us to comment.

I don't know how I know this, that you will someday post another song and give us another chance to comment, but I can feel it, a hope against hope, against all odds, a light at the end of the world, and the all light of all those things we cannot see.

Because in the eye of the tiger, we are all survivors. Running on empty, running blind, running into the sun but running behind. But somewhere in this world, there's a place for us, yes there's a time for us, and a new love for us, each and every one. East of Eden and west of the sun.

You can say that I'm a dreamer, but man I'm not the only one.

Oh, the song... Man it is great I love it and I hope I got the right interpretation!!!!!

Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/07/23 10:21 AM
Sorry to be the one to tell you but I think you may have to add "producer" along with "songwriter" going forward.

I honestly don't think most people really get what a producer does. It seems the word gets thrown around for any recording but listening to their songs I would say they probably don't understand it to the true degree of what it is. You sir understand what being a producer is and it shows. I'm not positive but I personally feel that this is an area that you've really taken interest in and studied over the last few years. To me, your already high quality songs have jumped up to being that much better. You've really grown!

Without getting into details, because you know that would take a bit to describe what you all have going on, the techniques you are using to keep the listener interested are sheer perfection. Knowing what to add when, and what to take out is so key. Especially when the listener isn't even aware of it! It's not obvious. It's subtle but needed.

I've really gotten to dislike the phrase "ear candy" as well because I feel it's thrown around a lot now too without much understanding. Part of "ear candy" is knowing to take something OUT so when you do add it in it's effective in creating interest, sometimes as something new, sometimes as familiar.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Let me tell you about how I'm known to do that. grin

Great song all the way around. Congrats to the two of you on this!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/07/23 12:18 PM
Touching lyrics for aging hearts and minds, really like the opening lines: 'I aint gettin' no younger certainly no smarter'.
I enjoyed the emotional singing especially in the chorus part. Very warm mix, especially the drums sound pleasant, somehow the solo guitar has bit too sharp tone in my ears but gladly it is served lightly.

Janne
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/08/23 07:33 AM
Hi Floyd
Great song
Has a nice, catchy melody
You can really bring the song to life with your voice - very cool !
Also the guitar solo is absolutely great
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/08/23 10:39 AM
Man you really know how to put together a song. Everything from the choice of real tracks, delicate touch of your arrangements, solid lyrical content,
Impeccable vocals that blend with the lyrics and backing tracks to give a point of view to the listener.
Everything about this song works.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/09/23 05:06 AM
floyd

Superb! Nothing else to add.

Peter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/09/23 12:07 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

This song is an emotional wipeout...

I could have this on repeat all day. Absolutely beautiful and superbly produced. Your vocal is stunning.

Some of the best new music I have heard this year.

LOVED IT!

Bob

What a really nice thing to say, Bob... much appreciated...

Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
You have us spoiled Floyd, before the 1st guitar strum we know it's going to be another top-shelf, pull the heart strings song.

Masterful is all I can say.

Thanks, B.T.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/10/23 05:03 PM
“yea, there's some age in my eyes
a bit of gray in my hair
but i think you'd be surprised
by what I'm feeling here”

Love that!

The build is fantastic and when you started with just the guitar and your vocal Janice said, “just listen to that voice!”

It’s all been said but we’ll repeat it:
Lyric, melody, vocals, band, arrangement, mix, etc are waaaaay high bar.

Another great collab between you and Michael!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/11/23 11:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd,

An excellent write by you and Mike! Yes we are getting older but your voice still sounds like a young man! Boy can I relate to this one...lyrics really speak to a lot of folks!
BTW that soloist guitar track really put a charge into this and sounded fantastic!

Thanks, TB

Thanks, Torrey. We appreciate that....

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Floyd, when I heard "i aint gettin' no younger
certainly no smarter" I thought that you wrote a song about me!

A really great love song with the perfect backing band.
Great vocal, as usual.
Great mix, as usual.
Floyd you are a professional for sure.

Loved it.

smile

Thanks, Mario...

Originally Posted By: firesong
Floyd...you had me at "I ain't getting no younger"...I think you had all of us "seniors" at that point...super idea for a song...so well written and lovely melody...man you write great stuff! and the production was clean and crystal clear...really nice country ballad! kudos!!

Thanks, Dan...
Posted By: vicarn Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/11/23 01:55 PM
Ahhh! The voice does it every time.
Another smooth one, Floyd.

Vic
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/11/23 08:12 PM
Man, your vocal is strong in this. Excellent.

This is now on the top of my list. Great relatable lyrics and a sound melody. Chorus builds nicely from the chorus.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/12/23 11:45 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Lovely song, lovely vocal performance and lovely arrangement.
I think the solo could be EQ mellowed just a little but it's probably my cruddy ears.
Every "break" in the voice is a break in a heart.

Thanks, ray. I get the mellow thought. I went with the original tone from the RT thinking it provided some contrast (the the most mellow arrangement/tracks)

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Dang, man, you write instant classics --often anthems, in fact, no matter who your writing partner is. Another gorgeous write with a pro production. Do you have any songs you wrote when you were four, Floyd? If so, please send it to me. I need a lower bar. wink

smile
I wrote my first song at 14, so nothing from 4.
It was pretty bad. Typical beginner's generic/cliched lyrics. But, oh!, what a melody!!! smile smile smile

Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
Man, Floyd, you are one high-quality, prolific writer/artist! Another top-shelfer.

Dewey

Much appreciated, Dewey....

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd ...

I know Mike slightly from the other music site we once belonged to at the same time. and yes, he's an excellent lyricist.

As I listened, Ed Bruce kept running through my mind. He's the only person I can think of who might have sung this as good as you do. I nearly cried when he died a few years back. He was always one of my favorites for many years. But you leave me with many of the pleasures I enjoyed when listening to him. I think that's a very fitting analogy.

A small suggestion, FWIW:

yea, there's some *age* in my eyes - yeah, got some *years* in my eyes

Just a very small, probably insignificant thing, but it crossed my mind. But, there's not a thing wrong with it as written. Feel free to ignore.

This is another stellar song. I miss this style of music. Thanks for continuing to give it life.

Alan

Thanks, Alan. Ed was a great one! for sure...
Thanks for the suggestion (I prefer "age", though)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/13/23 10:39 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, floyd jane.

Man, you know how to sing a song. That phrasing:

My last chance for... (slight pause) love...

Great write with Mike - it's got me rooting for the underdog.

Love the arrangement and the mix as well.

Thanks, David.
I always appreciate when someone says that they like "how I sing".
I wonder about that more than you might imagine.
I wonder if there are people who really DESPISE the way I sing. And if so, why?
There are SINGERS here who are liked by EVERYONE (mostly). Greg Johnson, for example. Janice Merritt, for another.
Then there are those here that most folks really like (the way they sing) and I would call it "not to my taste".
It is, of course....all opinion.
There are singers who take time to warm to (Tom Waits, Bob Dylan? for instance). So that might be part of it.
Just know, I do not take the compliment for granted....

Posted By: floyd jane Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/14/23 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
I have finally begun to understand that the surface level meanings of songs are not what is really going on beneath the surface.

That being said, I hear this song and production as a cry of piercing pain in the deepest recesses of a tortured soul and I know what you're saying.

You're saying that this is the very last chance that you'll have for someone to comment on one of your songs in the forum, a desperate, heart-wrenching, gut-wrenching plea for love, like a knife in the stomach and an ax in the heart, a wounded, remorseful pain-filled plea for just someone, anyone in a vast empty dark swirling cosmos to listen and understand and reach out their hands in the virtual blind pit of the band in a box forum just to say you are my friend, I hear you, I understand, and I love your song.

Man, I could feel this in every chord of this song and every fiber of my being.

I hope I'm not over interpreting, but Floyd I just want to let you know man there will be another chance for you to post another song and another chance for us to comment.

I don't know how I know this, that you will someday post another song and give us another chance to comment, but I can feel it, a hope against hope, against all odds, a light at the end of the world, and the all light of all those things we cannot see.

Because in the eye of the tiger, we are all survivors. Running on empty, running blind, running into the sun but running behind. But somewhere in this world, there's a place for us, yes there's a time for us, and a new love for us, each and every one. East of Eden and west of the sun.

You can say that I'm a dreamer, but man I'm not the only one.

Oh, the song... Man it is great I love it and I hope I got the right interpretation!!!!!

OR....

It could be a song about "my last chance for love..."

Wouldn't THAT be sneaky???!!!

smile

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Sorry to be the one to tell you but I think you may have to add "producer" along with "songwriter" going forward.

I honestly don't think most people really get what a producer does. It seems the word gets thrown around for any recording but listening to their songs I would say they probably don't understand it to the true degree of what it is. You sir understand what being a producer is and it shows. I'm not positive but I personally feel that this is an area that you've really taken interest in and studied over the last few years. To me, your already high quality songs have jumped up to being that much better. You've really grown!

Without getting into details, because you know that would take a bit to describe what you all have going on, the techniques you are using to keep the listener interested are sheer perfection. Knowing what to add when, and what to take out is so key. Especially when the listener isn't even aware of it! It's not obvious. It's subtle but needed.

I've really gotten to dislike the phrase "ear candy" as well because I feel it's thrown around a lot now too without much understanding. Part of "ear candy" is knowing to take something OUT so when you do add it in it's effective in creating interest, sometimes as something new, sometimes as familiar.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Let me tell you about how I'm known to do that. grin

Great song all the way around. Congrats to the two of you on this!

Chad - thanks for all of that!!
I Love producing!! (and mixing, for that matter). The last 20 years (maybe 30) has opened up SO many possibilities (for production/producers). The resources seem ENDLESS. And it is expanding the variety of music available. You are only limited by your imagination (granted, that might be a problem for closed-minded-all-new-music-is-bad kind of people...and there are a lot of them...)

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Touching lyrics for aging hearts and minds, really like the opening lines: 'I aint gettin' no younger certainly no smarter'.
I enjoyed the emotional singing especially in the chorus part. Very warm mix, especially the drums sound pleasant, somehow the solo guitar has bit too sharp tone in my ears but gladly it is served lightly.

Janne

Janne - thanks for stopping by. Appreciated...

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Floyd
Great song
Has a nice, catchy melody
You can really bring the song to life with your voice - very cool !
Also the guitar solo is absolutely great
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi....

Posted By: dcuny Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/14/23 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

I know you're not fishing for compliments, but...

As you know, by "how you sing", I mean the choices you make, and your skill at doing it. The ability to draw a listener into a song, so they have to hear it all, because they're emotionally hooked. There's an emotional vulnerability in your voice that certainly requires skill, but resonates as honest.

That's the whole point of singing, isn't it? Which makes it ironic that I choose to use synthetic voices, but that's an entirely different discussion. wink

And that's what I hear when you sing, a high level of craft that doesn't get in the way of feeling the song.

When I can hear to the craft, and still be touched by the singing - that's just so good. laugh

Then again, that goes for all the elements of your songwriting, arranging, and mixing.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/15/23 08:03 AM
Hi Floyd,

I took the time to read all the posts you got on this so nice -classic build- song.
And almost everyone had huge compliments about the lyrics, the quality of the song as a whole and your vocals even more!
And I can agree with all of them. The song is very good, and for aging people, the lyrics are so recognizable.
Well, maybe "my last chance for love" could be a bit of a talking point

It sure is a beautiful country song with all in it, the very nice solo guitar, the steel guitar and the passion.
But for me, your vocals are so outstanding in the mix, man, if ever I can reach that level of mixing...

Have a nice day,
Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/17/23 04:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Man you really know how to put together a song. Everything from the choice of real tracks, delicate touch of your arrangements, solid lyrical content,
Impeccable vocals that blend with the lyrics and backing tracks to give a point of view to the listener.
Everything about this song works.

Certainly appreciate that, Elliot...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Superb! Nothing else to add.

Peter

Thanks! Peter...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
“yea, there's some age in my eyes
a bit of gray in my hair
but i think you'd be surprised
by what I'm feeling here”

Love that!

The build is fantastic and when you started with just the guitar and your vocal Janice said, “just listen to that voice!”

It’s all been said but we’ll repeat it:
Lyric, melody, vocals, band, arrangement, mix, etc are waaaaay high bar.

Another great collab between you and Michael!

J&B

smile smile smile smile smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/18/23 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Ahhh! The voice does it every time.
Another smooth one, Floyd.

Vic

Thanks, Vic.

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Man, your vocal is strong in this. Excellent.

This is now on the top of my list. Great relatable lyrics and a sound melody. Chorus builds nicely from the chorus.

Appreciate that, Scott...

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

I know you're not fishing for compliments, but...

As you know, by "how you sing", I mean the choices you make, and your skill at doing it. The ability to draw a listener into a song, so they have to hear it all, because they're emotionally hooked. There's an emotional vulnerability in your voice that certainly requires skill, but resonates as honest.

That's the whole point of singing, isn't it? Which makes it ironic that I choose to use synthetic voices, but that's an entirely different discussion. wink

And that's what I hear when you sing, a high level of craft that doesn't get in the way of feeling the song.

When I can hear to the craft, and still be touched by the singing - that's just so good. laugh

Then again, that goes for all the elements of your songwriting, arranging, and mixing.

And, thanks...again! VERY much appreciated!!

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Floyd,

I took the time to read all the posts you got on this so nice -classic build- song.
And almost everyone had huge compliments about the lyrics, the quality of the song as a whole and your vocals even more!
And I can agree with all of them. The song is very good, and for aging people, the lyrics are so recognizable.
Well, maybe "my last chance for love" could be a bit of a talking point

It sure is a beautiful country song with all in it, the very nice solo guitar, the steel guitar and the passion.
But for me, your vocals are so outstanding in the mix, man, if ever I can reach that level of mixing...

Have a nice day,
Hans

Thanks, Hans!
Posted By: Lob-ster Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/20/23 04:29 PM
Excellent production...lots of emotion in the vocals...well done!!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/20/23 09:21 PM
FJ,
Smooth collaboration. Lyrics are a bit sad but at the same time hopeful. Performed very well. Clear mix and listens very well.
I read your somewhat humorous comments on vocals. You have a pleasant timbre and I find your singing very clear as I can make everything out without looking at the text. But most importantly is the story, and you can tell it well. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Last Chance For Love - 07/22/23 10:16 PM
Loved how the acoustic wraps around the vocal Floyd. Really pretty country tune. As always super vocal and lyric. Guitar break was awesome.
© PG Music Forums