PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Wayside - 08/05/23 01:38 PM
It's been said that if you want to stretch yourself musically, get out of your rut.

Disclaimer:

This is way, and I mean, far out of my normal musical wheelhouse. I've been collaborating with a musician and writer from out in the midwest. I've worked on a few songs with him in the past adding bass tracks and helping him out with raising the bar on his recording chops. This is our third project that's more of a collab vs a contribution of bass tracks to a song.

Here's the details:

The drums and vocals are Rob. I've rearranged the song and added 3 synths as well as writing and singing the bridge vocals.

TBTH I really worked to get this into BB and failed miserably with the ACW to get anything useful, so in the end, I created a separate version and used BB to generate the choir oooohs and aaaaahs. It's Real Track 3020 if you are interested. Mixed in Cakewalk.

Some time back I learned, much to my surprise that BB had a synth called SYNTHMASTER in it. Curious, I went to investigate it and ended up picking up some of the patches that were available for it. I used one of those for the low end bass synth sequencer. I don't recall off hand the name of the patch. Bass something....

The other two synths are NI Massive with again, patches that I don't recall the names off hand. A pad and the other thing in the chorus playing 16th notes. I was planning to use SV for the bridge vox but I haven't gotten to that point yet. I'm still considering it and there might be a revised version as this is still a work in progress. Feel free to comment with your thoughts on what we have so far.

Oh yeah... did I mention that this is EDM/Rap? No? Well, yeah, something like that. I warned you I was off the reservation. Totally out of my normal genre and also true for Rob, as he's more of a rock guy.

Having a sub in your studio might help.... also, it's certainly way more compressed than I usually do but it was sounding good so..... crank it up.

WAYSIDE

"Wayside"

This is my life I want to strive for something more
Cause what I've been doing ain't working out for sure
If I knock I know you'll open up every door
If I fall you'll you catch me before I hit the floor

I'm not waiting by the wayside
Pretending that I'm alright
I can see the view right in front of me
Tired of fighting this fight
Love you with all my mind
Help me be the man I was meant to be

All my own, I'd fold I know I couldn't win
Once a slave to sin now freed indeed I am
When I feel weak yeah you just keep reaching out your hand
To give me wings so I can fly just like the wind

Chorus

Rap:
I can feel the Holy Spirit put me back on my feet
Speak the truth show my love no need to compete.
spread my wings soar with hope and I'm totally stoked
Got everything I need and I'm learning to cope.
I won't be held down, I won't be denied,
I keep pushing forward, with you by my side
No longer filled with pride, I embrace the truth and light
I've come to realize that this ain't my fight
On my own I couldn't win, once a slave to sin now freed within
I don't believe the spin
And when I feel weak, I fall down on my knees, and it's you I seek
And like the Eagle on the wind. I rise above, rise above it all

Chorus

Yeah Yeah

Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: Wayside - 08/05/23 02:08 PM
Sounds Great!! Like the mix, and production quality. Powerful lyric, well presented.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Wayside - 08/05/23 04:23 PM
Herb & Rob ...

Yep - much different than your typical posts. But exploring other roads is a good thing. I played lead guitar for whatever was contemporary country at the time, but listened to many other genres and learned a lot by exploring those other possibilities. And more than a small amount I was able to integrate into my country licks.

This has drive with a great lyric.

Good on you for not being "afraid" (maybe hesitant?) to at least step out of your box once in a while. I enjoyed my listen a lot!

Alan
Posted By: vicarn Re: Wayside - 08/05/23 05:25 PM
Sounds good. Clever stuff.

Vic
Posted By: MarioD Re: Wayside - 08/05/23 07:28 PM
Everything is working now.

Super groove. It sounds like you have been doing this genre for years!
Outstanding mix.

This is really good!

You should get out of your comfort zone more often.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Wayside - 08/05/23 08:34 PM
Excellent production and sound elements--great wall of sound.This sounds very contemporary at least to me it does.
Posted By: rayc Re: Wayside - 08/06/23 04:10 AM
LOUD.
The vocal flow is more pop rock than rap but, yeah, he's not moving between notes much.
The above does seem to suggest a rock song or two I've heard.
Your part has a decent rap flow and your voice...distant, filtered...works well.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wayside - 08/06/23 06:58 AM
Sounds good to me, Herb.

Good groove, good sound, and kudos for trying something new.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Wayside - 08/06/23 07:08 AM
Herb,

This sounds great. Love the vibe and the production is outstanding.

Bob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Wayside - 08/06/23 09:28 PM
This is cool Herb.

I like it.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Wayside - 08/07/23 02:03 PM
Herb,

It's inspiring to see someone with your skills work outside the box, comfort zone etc. It looks like you put a tremendous amount of effort into this project, and I hope your collaborator truly appreciates the effort! I am not qualified to make any judgements on this genre of music but to my ears it sounds phenomenal! Nice clean sound, mix and production!

Thanks, TB
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/07/23 11:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Sounds Great!! Like the mix, and production quality. Powerful lyric, well presented.

Thanks Elliott this was a fun time
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/07/23 11:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Herb & Rob ...

Yep - much different than your typical posts. But exploring other roads is a good thing. I played lead guitar for whatever was contemporary country at the time, but listened to many other genres and learned a lot by exploring those other possibilities. And more than a small amount I was able to integrate into my country licks.

This has drive with a great lyric.

Good on you for not being "afraid" (maybe hesitant?) to at least step out of your box once in a while. I enjoyed my listen a lot!

Alan

Thanks Al. I'm not skert to try new things. I actually did my homework and went listening to some music from the genre so I knew how to best do it justice.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/07/23 11:29 PM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Sounds good. Clever stuff.

Vic

Vic....glad you enjoyed it
Posted By: Derochette Re: Wayside - 08/08/23 07:02 AM
Hi Guitarhacker,

Excellent. Pleasant atmosphere created. I'm not familiar with Rap but this piece is well done. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: Wayside - 08/08/23 09:35 AM
This is not a genre I would normally listen too but, wow, it sure drew me in and I love the message as well. Great co-write!
Posted By: firesong Re: Wayside - 08/08/23 04:49 PM
Herb and Rob...that was crazy good! I did not expect that but I am pleasantly surprised...it's not my genre but then again it is (the Message!)...it sounds like something you would hear on the radio! but you're right you gotta turn it up...you need to feel it as well as hear it...I heard it and I felt it! great collab!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/08/23 06:40 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Everything is working now.

Super groove. It sounds like you have been doing this genre for years!
Outstanding mix.

This is really good!

You should get out of your comfort zone more often.

Thanks Mario. I like the groove on this too.

I'm glad you enjoyed the song and the mix.

I think everyone should be courageous and step out of our comfort zone from time to time. It's what helps us grow as my musicians.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Wayside - 08/09/23 10:36 AM
Hi Herb really great work on this tune !!! excellent mix everything clear and crisp very pro sounding great chioce on instruments native instruments are great vocals shine like crazy well done thanks Eric
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/09/23 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Excellent production and sound elements--great wall of sound.This sounds very contemporary at least to me it does.

It doesn't take much to create a wall of sound apparently.

Glad you enjoyed it
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/09/23 02:16 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
LOUD.
The vocal flow is more pop rock than rap but, yeah, he's not moving between notes much.
The above does seem to suggest a rock song or two I've heard.
Your part has a decent rap flow and your voice...distant, filtered...works well.

Yep ... It's loud. And the funny thing is I actually backed off the loudness a fair amount.

I had to use something to have my country voice sound like rap.... The best I could do was a telephone call effect....
Thanks for the listen
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Wayside - 08/10/23 09:04 AM
Waaaaay out of your wheelhouse, but you guys hit all the right spokes. Not the wheelhouse of my life either, but, man, I dig it. Gave it a couple spins and like it more with each pass. It's such a good mix and overall production. I really dig Rob's vocal, and the lyrics are cool. Well done, Herb & Rob.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/10/23 10:54 AM
Dave, Bob, David, Torry, Derochette, Dewey, FireSong, FMM and Marty

Gotta catch up.... thanks for listening. There's been a lot of changes to this and I'll likely be updating the song file some time later today or tomorrow. Just suffice it to say it will be a big change.... hopefully in the right direction.

Stay tuned and THANK YOU to everyone who has listened to this work in progress and given us your comments and ideas.....
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wayside - 08/10/23 12:02 PM
If I was asked who forum member has made this song, I would have never guessed correctly. Yes, it is good to experiment and hopefully this inspires other BIAB users to get out of their boxes smile
I would call this Gangsta's BIAB. Very professional sounding work, nice bass, great vocals. Works surprisingly well for the message.

Janne
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/10/23 09:53 PM
Remix 8-10-23

Here

This is a structural change as well as a rewrite of the rap part and it was an excellent decision I think, to pull in someone who can actually rap.. some level changes....

Enjoy. This is not a final mix.... Just another step on the journey
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/10/23 09:55 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
If I was asked who forum member has made this song, I would have never guessed correctly. Yes, it is good to experiment and hopefully this inspires other BIAB users to get out of their boxes smile
I would call this Gangsta's BIAB. Very professional sounding work, nice bass, great vocals. Works surprisingly well for the message.

Janne

Thanks for listening. Have a listen to the new one
Posted By: dcuny Re: Wayside - 08/10/23 11:59 PM
Sounds good!

I'm not in a position to say anything about the genre, but it works for me.

As cool as heavy synths are, I think the second mix works better.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/12/23 12:17 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Sounds good!

I'm not in a position to say anything about the genre, but it works for me.

As cool as heavy synths are, I think the second mix works better.

Thanks DC... I like those synths but I don't often get a chance to use them in a project.... but this was a good fit.

I didn't mix the second mix. All I did was arrange it. Cut, copy and paste.

I'm thinking we may be done with the song at this point. Other things are on the drawing board currently.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Wayside - 08/12/23 05:28 PM
Far out! The song sounds like you were very comfortable outside of your comfort zone. wink

We normally only hear this genre on commercials but it seems like you nailed it.

The lyric message was a surprise and you both delivered it well.

Kudos to you both on a cool collab!

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/13/23 11:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Far out! The song sounds like you were very comfortable outside of your comfort zone. wink

We normally only hear this genre on commercials but it seems like you nailed it.

The lyric message was a surprise and you both delivered it well.

Kudos to you both on a cool collab!

J&B

Far out... haven't heard that in a long long time.... groovy man! I added a newer mix from Rob.... but wasn't able to go back to add it to the OP. I guess the forum software shuts off edits after a certain number of days.

Thanks for listening.... and just so you know..... I read on FaceBook that hip hop is now well over 50 years old..... wow.... I reckon, better late than never to the party.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Wayside - 08/13/23 01:23 PM
Herb & Rob,
Pretty cool use of BIAB! Absolutely stunning experiment considering your prior offerings, meaning it sounds very seasoned, like someone wrote it who is comfortable with genre. Listened to both mixes. Second one is a winner. The vocal performance in strange way reminded me of RHCP. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/15/23 12:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Herb & Rob,
Pretty cool use of BIAB! Absolutely stunning experiment considering your prior offerings, meaning it sounds very seasoned, like someone wrote it who is comfortable with genre. Listened to both mixes. Second one is a winner. The vocal performance in strange way reminded me of RHCP. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks for listening Misha. I too like the second mix. I had to look up RHCP. I can't take much credit for the vocal performance but I'm sure Rob will take that as a compliment.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Wayside - 08/21/23 12:04 PM
Hello Herb and Rob
Sounds really great
Can be played immediately on the radio
A great production
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wayside - 08/21/23 02:18 PM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Herb and Rob
Sounds really great
Can be played immediately on the radio