PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Jazz or Rock? - 08/10/23 09:10 PM
Jazz or Rock?

Is this a jazz or rock song? It started out as a rocker but I added some elements of jazz so now I'm confused. Thus I will let you decide what genre it represents.

I've always like the Vox Continental organ sound so when Arturia's Vox Continental organ VSTi when on sale I just had to have it. This is the first song that I recorded with it.

BiaB style - Medium Rock 2
Tempo - 120 Bpm

I deleted the piano and the guitar tracks

Piano - Vox Continental Organ - preset - Light Your Fire
Bass - Ample bass - preset P Bass
Drums - Addictive Drums 2 - preset - Funk Chicken Bone
Note I replaced the ride cymbal with a cowbell because the ride washed out the other tracks and you can never have too many cowbell hits in a song

Throughout the song I am playing the bass line on the Continental. I also played the treble during the intro on it. I played my keyboard controller on both.

I am also playing the Swam Alto sax - preset - Rock via my wind controller.

As always all comments are welcomed.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/11/23 12:07 AM
Despite using the "rock" preset on the SWAM sax, you've got far too much melody to call it rock. wink

Melodic and with a clear direction - I enjoyed listening!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/11/23 07:12 AM
Mario,

Sounds great. I would say this is an excellent fusion of rock and jazz. The Continental organ sounds tremendous.

Love the mix and pacing of the song.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/11/23 01:03 PM

Mario,

Since I simply cannot make a choice, I will go out on a limb here, and create a new genre.

I shall call it:

Jazz Rock.

Magnifico!
Posted By: firesong Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/11/23 01:30 PM
Mario...I would call it an eclectic piece with rock and jazz elements...there's too much categorizing of music IMO...the genre I would say is Mario!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/11/23 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Despite using the "rock" preset on the SWAM sax, you've got far too much melody to call it rock. wink

Melodic and with a clear direction - I enjoyed listening!

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Thanx for listening and commenting and making me laugh with that melody statement!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Mario,

Sounds great. I would say this is an excellent fusion of rock and jazz. The Continental organ sounds tremendous.

Love the mix and pacing of the song.

Excellent!

Thanx Bob. I really like the sound of the Vox Continental Organ. I think the Arturia version sounds exactly like the original model.
Bob
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/11/23 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Mario,

Since I simply cannot make a choice, I will go out on a limb here, and create a new genre.

I shall call it:

Jazz Rock.

Magnifico!

Thanx David. I think I will call it Rockin' Jazz. Thanx for the idea.
Posted By: rayc Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/12/23 07:20 PM
Jazz flavoured pop rock.
The Vox sounds very cool.
Nice one.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/13/23 10:55 AM
Rockin' funkin' jazz

Gotta give those drums some cred in the genre name smile

Great performances and mix as always.

As always we are clueless about how you do all this but we much enjoy it!

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/13/23 11:27 AM
It doesn't fit neatly into either the rock or jazz category to my ear. One thing is certain though, the cowbell needs to be more upfront in the mix.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/13/23 02:27 PM
Jazzy-klezmer-rock?
Mario, fun tune. A bit obscure, but I dig strange tunes. Cool sax paying and yea, that organ has a character.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/13/23 08:15 PM
Funkadelic jazzy rock. I like the Light My Fire organ. Nice blend of genres.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/13/23 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Rockin' funkin' jazz

Gotta give those drums some cred in the genre name smile

Great performances and mix as always.

As always we are clueless about how you do all this but we much enjoy it!

J&B

Thanx J&B. Rockin' Funkin' Jazz, I like that!

BiaB does have some great MIDI drum tracks doesn't it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/13/23 08:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
It doesn't fit neatly into either the rock or jazz category to my ear. One thing is certain though, the cowbell needs to be more upfront in the mix.

Thanx so much Herb. Maybe I invented a new genre?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/13/23 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Jazzy-klezmer-rock?
Mario, fun tune. A bit obscure, but I dig strange tunes. Cool sax paying and yea, that organ has a character.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanx so much Misha. If you dig strange tunes you will like my next one for sure.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/13/23 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Funkadelic jazzy rock. I like the Light My Fire organ. Nice blend of genres.

Thanx so much. I always have liked the Vox Continental Organ and this Arturia's version is really good. It's on sale right now for 1/2 price.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/14/23 08:22 PM
Well, if anything and in my humble opinion, the drum beat doesn't fit too well with a Jazz straight up style, but hey, whatever, sounds good anyway. Maybe Nu-Fusion?

Cheers

Mike B.
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/14/23 09:13 PM
I'm getting a little Latin percussion in there with the cowbell and the chord progression. The sax lines are interesting, and add a flavor to the mix. I don't think it's rock .... and I don't think it's jazz
I think it's all MarioD.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/14/23 11:19 PM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Well, if anything and in my humble opinion, the drum beat doesn't fit too well with a Jazz straight up style, but hey, whatever, sounds good anyway. Maybe Nu-Fusion?

Cheers

Mike B.

Thanx Pete. FYI I have had a couple of other listeners say that it was more of a fusion genre than anything else.

Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
I'm getting a little Latin percussion in there with the cowbell and the chord progression. The sax lines are interesting, and add a flavor to the mix. I don't think it's rock .... and I don't think it's jazz
I think it's all MarioD.

Thanx Elliott. I'm glad that you enjoyed this.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/29/23 10:33 PM
Cool piece Mario. Not sure either way I liked it. Most of my instrumentals start out with a specific genre. When completed I ask my friends what they think of my rock song. I get raised eye brows. BIAB takes the first logical step then who knows where your musical journey will take you. Love the song. Drums were excellent.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/29/23 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool piece Mario. Not sure either way I liked it. Most of my instrumentals start out with a specific genre. When completed I ask my friends what they think of my rock song. I get raised eye brows. BIAB takes the first logical step then who knows where your musical journey will take you. Love the song. Drums were excellent.

Thanx so much Scott.

I know, a lot of the time I think I know what I want until I start auditioning styles, then things change.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/30/23 08:47 AM
First thought was It must be fusion then. It's always good having some jazz players show up at a gig. Things like this cool song always jam out. I've never been a fan of categories, except as a way to remember things. So I give this one its own. Jazzer Rock or Rocker Jazz.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/30/23 10:11 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
First thought was It must be fusion then. It's always good having some jazz players show up at a gig. Things like this cool song always jam out. I've never been a fan of categories, except as a way to remember things. So I give this one its own. Jazzer Rock or Rocker Jazz.

Thanx Marty. I like the Jazzer Rock genre!
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Jazz or Rock? - 08/30/23 12:26 PM
Hi Mario
Cool song
A good mixture of two music worlds ;-)
Great solo
Well done Mario
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
© PG Music Forums