PG Music Home
Posted By: Deej56 You Make Me Wonder (w/Christian Devienne) - 10/03/23 01:57 PM
Hi, folks:

I’ve been taking an extended break from music-making and posting, and I’m not sure I’m ready to dive back into it. But I committed some time ago to tackle the lyrics for this song by Christian and finally got around to doing so. Here’s the current version. As always, we appreciate the listens and feedback.

Hope all is well and happy in your worlds.

My best to you all,

Deej

Here’s the song:

YOU MAKE ME WONDER

Here are the lyrics:

Those blue eyes in the rain
Hey girl you make me wonder
Are they seeing past the blame
Or are they searching for another

Fade to black
Has everything it takes to win you back
Just died

Is there hope beyond the pain
Hey girl you make me wonder
If I could find myself again
Maybe I could win you over

Silhouettes
Just another dark truth I can’t get
I’m blind

Lay your wishes on the line
Whatever will you’ve fallen under
I thought I knew you all this time
But girl you make me wonder

Here’s the band:

RD RockNorthern^7
RD RockBritDrivingEv16^5
RT 2960 Acoustic Bass
RT 1595 Acoustic Guitar
RT 1828 Acoustic Guitar
RT 3198 Solo Acoustic Guitar
RT 1038 Acoustic Guitar
RT 4295 Electric Guitar
RT 4026 Solo Electric Guitar
RT 1829 Electric Guitar
RT 3939 Electric Guitar 
Oh, yeah, I missed your vocals, Deej. So wonderfully unique. Interesting chord structure and key changes. The melody brings out the lyrics so well. I really enjoy the laid-back feel. Yeow, 9 guitar tracks mixed to sound like 3. Excellent mix and production. Masterfully done, you two.
Deej...I love the band on this one for sure...to me the song has a British ballad feel to it...I agree with Marty about the chord structure and modulations...your vocal is stellar as usual...lyrically so well written...mysterious and forlorn...great arrangement and outstanding production...hope you decide to dive back in soon...really miss your stuff...it's always a great listen!
Posted By: rsdean Re: You Make Me Wonder (w/Christian Devienne) - 10/04/23 02:27 PM
Deej,

This sounds great. Your vocal is wonderful. Love the crisp production.

So good to hear you again.

Bob
Posted By: MarioD Re: You Make Me Wonder (w/Christian Devienne) - 10/04/23 11:13 PM
Deej, you really know how to mix those guitars. They sound great!

Great vocal; loved those lyrics.
Perfect choice of RTs.
Super mix.
Loved it
Posted By: rayc Re: You Make Me Wonder (w/Christian Devienne) - 10/05/23 02:47 AM
Did you mix this Deej?
The voice is just a little too forward for my ears.
Your vocal & lyrics are wonderful.
The changes, like at 0.56, are trade mark Christian but I think he's possibly over used that one as it felt contrived - then again that may simply be becasue I worked with him a few times and am familiar, as are you, with his progressions.
ANYWAY...you've nailed you end.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: You Make Me Wonder (w/Christian Devienne) - 10/05/23 03:56 AM
Marty, Dan, Bob, Mario and Ray:

Thanks for the listens and kind words. I felt bad having let this sit around so long, and to Christian's credit he stayed ever patient . . . and so I'm glad it seems to be well-received.

Ray: No, I didn't do the mix on this. In fact, the reason I've been taking an extended break is that I'm somewhat exhausted by the idea of mixing . . . spending countless hours going through endless tracks finding the right fit, listening to and adjusting the tune a gazillion times . . . only to be disappointed with most of my outcomes anyway. So I totally punted this one to Christian, who does a better job on these things than I. In the meantime, I'm trying to get mentally OK with going minimalist and sharing lesser quality stuff . . . not sure I'll get there, but we'll see. Again, appreciate the feedback and I'm sure Christian will make some tweaks based on your comments.

Stay well all--

Deej
A good write.
Excellent vocals. Full of passion.
Nice BAND.
Good mix. (the solo guitar could be slightly louder.

fj
Posted By: dcuny Re: You Make Me Wonder (w/Christian Devienne) - 10/06/23 03:23 AM
Short,sweet and sad.

Sounds good to me.
Hi Deej,

Today I also listened to your song 'Tell me what you like'.
And with a lot of words I tried to tell you what that is. But now I heard this song. and that is my answer; this kind of songs.
Your vocals are a gem in this kind of music, including this specific song.
These lyrics are so sensitive. Well done!

Hans
This song has a pleasant, gentle darkness that keeps me glued to it. The melody takes us some unexpected directions, but is satisfying. Exceptional vocal.
Beautiful. The low notes on "Just died" and "I'm blind" are stunning. Wonderful, unexpected chord changes. The trademark, passionate vocal by Deej. Great lyrics. Great - dark and beautiful - song. Congratulations to the both of you ... I'm going to listen again to this one.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: You Make Me Wonder (w/Christian Devienne) - 10/10/23 03:43 AM
Floyd, David, Hans, Ezekiel and James:

Thanks all for the listens and feedback. Glad you all seemed to like what you heard.

My best to you all,

Deej
Welcome back, Deej. You and Christian delivered a fine collab!

Your lyric fits the brooding feel of the chords so well and your soulful vocal makes us feel the sadness of this fella. (Janice thinks he wins her back!)

We like the band and mix too and enjoyed the solos.

J&B
This is an excellent song. Really cool intro. Loved the vocal and lyric. The descending chord progression was very interesting. Gave the song a very original new feel. Well done
Posted By: Deej56 Re: You Make Me Wonder (w/Christian Devienne) - 10/24/23 03:16 AM
J&B and Scott:

Thanks so much for the listens and kind words. Sorry, Janice, I'm not sure this song has the happy ending you hope for, LOL! But, hey, love is unpredictable and you just never know!

Deej
© PG Music Forums