PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD The Awakening - 10/11/23 07:03 PM
The Awakening

You are sleeping and the alarm keeps going off until you wake up,
OR
You find a simple melody and keep embellishing it hoping that it doesn't bore your listeners.

BiaB style = Awaken - Slow, Mystic New Age
Tempo = 58 BPM

Bass - Kontakt - Amadeus - preset - basses
Piano - EastWest - Symphonic Choirs - Presets - bass, tenor, alto, soprano
Guitar - Kontakt - Kanaryi Sounds - PolyScape - preset - SL Rising Space Sun
Strings - K1V - preset - SpaceTines
Utility Track - Kanaryi Sounds - Minipool - Preset - Pads-MC Chorssy

Via my keyboard controller I am playing the 1st and 2nd violins, viola, cellos, French horns, and the brass ensemble, all various Kontakt patches. I also put in the drum tracks via Groovemonkee MIDI loops and Kirt Hunter's SSD-5 drum kit - Deluxe Funk 1.

As always all comments welcomed.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: The Awakening - 10/12/23 05:21 AM
Hi Mario.

What a rich, cinematic experience! I have to be honest and say I've never personally experienced an awakening like this. Maybe sleeping is different in the southern hemisphere! The sound that you've created here is lush and full. The slowly drifting melody that sits above and within this measured, adagio chord progression is haunting and gives a feeling of "unfolding". For me, it was as if the flowers in a garden were slowly opening to meet a new day.

What a journey!
--Noel
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Awakening - 10/12/23 06:39 AM
Spacey! Sort of an early '70s vibe.

I thought sticking to a single idea worked great, giving it focus.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Awakening - 10/12/23 09:20 AM
Really well done, Mario, one of your best ambient type pieces I think. Love the melody!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Awakening - 10/12/23 05:19 PM
Mario,
Those strings, brass... One the best tunes I've heard from you this year. Really well done! Harmony does remind me of ELO, which is a good thing, as it's one of my favorite bands ever smile 2 spins - easy listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: musocity Re: The Awakening - 10/12/23 08:53 PM
I rarely come to this thread unless I see the latest post name and it catches my attention, it has been a new Mario song many times that's done it.
It sound great ! says it all without saying anything.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/12/23 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Noel96
Hi Mario.

What a rich, cinematic experience! I have to be honest and say I've never personally experienced an awakening like this. Maybe sleeping is different in the southern hemisphere! The sound that you've created here is lush and full. The slowly drifting melody that sits above and within this measured, adagio chord progression is haunting and gives a feeling of "unfolding". For me, it was as if the flowers in a garden were slowly opening to meet a new day.

What a journey!
--Noel

Noel, thanx so much for this outstanding review. Your vision for this song is perfect, much better than anything I could have come up with.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/12/23 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by dcuny
Spacey! Sort of an early '70s vibe.

I thought sticking to a single idea worked great, giving it focus.

Thanx David. I'm glad that I was not the only one that liked the single idea/melody for almost the entire song.

Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
Really well done, Mario, one of your best ambient type pieces I think. Love the melody!

Thanx Dave for this very kind review.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/12/23 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon#
Mario,
Those strings, brass... One the best tunes I've heard from you this year. Really well done! Harmony does remind me of ELO, which is a good thing, as it's one of my favorite bands ever smile 2 spins - easy listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanx Misha. I am an ELO fan also!

Originally Posted by musocity
I rarely come to this thread unless I see the latest post name and it catches my attention, it has been a new Mario song many times that's done it.
It sound great ! says it all without saying anything.

WOW, thanx! What you posted really boosted my ego to new heights. I'm glad that you find my music worth listening too.
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Awakening - 10/12/23 11:02 PM
Mario,

This is awesome... So much atmosphere. Such a deep and beautiful sound.

Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: vicarn Re: The Awakening - 10/13/23 11:20 AM
It's like watching an animated movie, where the lovers are flying together over the unfolding scenery below.
Well done Mario.

Vic
Posted By: firesong Re: The Awakening - 10/13/23 02:51 PM
Mario...love that choir...so ethereal!....the violin is lovely....man you know how to compose great pieces of music...this a powerful compsition...would be a great movie soundtrack!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Awakening - 10/13/23 05:11 PM
Mario,

Perfect Title.
Majestic.

If you keep adding to the list of instruments you play via your controller, you will soon be the whole orchestra.

The piece has "epic" written all over it.

fj
Posted By: cubanpete Re: The Awakening - 10/14/23 02:58 PM
Hi Mario, I've been following you on this genre particularly and to me, if not the best you have created, it is pretty much up there.
Loved it!!

Cheers

Mike B.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/14/23 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by rsdean
Mario,

This is awesome... So much atmosphere. Such a deep and beautiful sound.

Loved it!

Bob

Originally Posted by vicarn
It's like watching an animated movie, where the lovers are flying together over the unfolding scenery below.
Well done Mario.

Vic

Thanx Bob and Vic, I appreciate your kind reviews.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/14/23 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by firesong
Mario...love that choir...so ethereal!....the violin is lovely....man you know how to compose great pieces of music...this a powerful compsition...would be a great movie soundtrack!

Dan, thanx so much for this very kind review. That EastWest Symphonic Choir was one of my best purchases.

Originally Posted by floyd jane
Mario,

Perfect Title.
Majestic.

If you keep adding to the list of instruments you play via your controller, you will soon be the whole orchestra.

The piece has "epic" written all over it.

fj

Thanx Floyd. Actually prior to BiaB I used to do all of the instruments myself. With BiaB I feel that I have improved a lot on my musicianship, not to mention the number of genres I play with now.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/14/23 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by cubanpete
Hi Mario, I've been following you on this genre particularly and to me, if not the best you have created, it is pretty much up there.
Loved it!!

Cheers

Mike B.

Thanx Mike, I appreciate your comments.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: The Awakening - 10/14/23 07:08 PM
Mario, really nice composition and super playing. I sometimes forget how impressive MIDI instruments can sound in the hands of a master. Bravo!
Posted By: WaoBand Re: The Awakening - 10/14/23 11:00 PM
Lovely mix again, Mario. You certainly put a lot of work into your compositions.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: The Awakening - 10/15/23 05:23 AM
Mario,

I think the simple melody you have in mind can be turned into a solid cinematic orchestral piece.
The assignment of various orchestral instruments to BIAB's MIDI style was very successful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/15/23 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Mario, really nice composition and super playing. I sometimes forget how impressive MIDI instruments can sound in the hands of a master. Bravo!

Thanx Ron. Yes MIDI get a bad rap because of the GM sounds that are included with BiaB/RB. One must have good MIDI sound sources to get better sounding tracks. That and a bare minimum MIDI controllers can do wonders.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/15/23 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by WaoBand
Lovely mix again, Mario. You certainly put a lot of work into your compositions.

Thanx so much. I have been working with MIDI since the mid 1980s so it really doesn't take me that long to produce a song, of course that is with BiaB. Before BiaB when I had to do everything myself it did take a lot of work.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/15/23 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by animarorecords
Mario,

I think the simple melody you have in mind can be turned into a solid cinematic orchestral piece.
The assignment of various orchestral instruments to BIAB's MIDI style was very successful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanx so much for this wonderful review.
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Awakening - 10/15/23 05:20 PM
It is always big pleasure to find out where your beautiful melodies and lush arrangements lead me to. This one had several different moods, majestic, calm, sad - and then the drums surprised me - I felt some royal wedding going on. I can picture Mario conducting a big symphony orchestra with broad strokes and then imagine many more Marios playing their instruments enthusiastically. Superb work with playing all those instruments, I can only admire your hard work.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Awakening - 10/15/23 05:34 PM
Glad you didn't get up! smile

All those controller tracks ... wow. You could blow a sailboat across the Atlantic.
It's hard to imagine all the "head work" that it takes to create and arrange all those parts.

As we so oft say it is ethereal, cinematic and deserving of a film placement.

Most cool!

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Awakening - 10/15/23 05:43 PM
Hi Mario ...

What a classic sound. So well put together. Just a superb listen. Full, rich, and cinematic. Excellent!!!

Alan
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/16/23 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by jannesan
It is always big pleasure to find out where your beautiful melodies and lush arrangements lead me to. This one had several different moods, majestic, calm, sad - and then the drums surprised me - I felt some royal wedding going on. I can picture Mario conducting a big symphony orchestra with broad strokes and then imagine many more Marios playing their instruments enthusiastically. Superb work with playing all those instruments, I can only admire your hard work.

Janne
Thanx so much Janne. However there are a number of people who would dread having more that one Mario!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/16/23 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
Glad you didn't get up! smile

All those controller tracks ... wow. You could blow a sailboat across the Atlantic.
It's hard to imagine all the "head work" that it takes to create and arrange all those parts.

As we so oft say it is ethereal, cinematic and deserving of a film placement.

Most cool!

J&B

Thanx so much Janice and Bud. Arranging the tracks wasn't a problem however mixing was difficult, especially for these old ears.
I'm glad you liked it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/16/23 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Al-David
Hi Mario ...

What a classic sound. So well put together. Just a superb listen. Full, rich, and cinematic. Excellent!!!

Alan

Thanx Alan for this very kind review.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: The Awakening - 10/16/23 03:54 PM
Ambient film music ... yep, that's what you do.
I don't find it boring, it has a nice calming effect on me.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/16/23 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Ambient film music ... yep, that's what you do.
I don't find it boring, it has a nice calming effect on me.

Thanx, I appreciate you listening and commenting on this little tune. I'm glad that you liked it.
Posted By: rayc Re: The Awakening - 10/18/23 02:27 AM
You stack your tracks to create a very rich sound/harmony. Tiny parts of it reminded me of In The Year 2525 melodically.
BIG.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Awakening - 10/18/23 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by rayc
You stack your tracks to create a very rich sound/harmony. Tiny parts of it reminded me of In The Year 2525 melodically.
BIG.

Thanx Ray. I was just playing In the Year 2525 yesterday. It is one of my favorite songs.
© PG Music Forums