PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/08/23 11:53 PM
Hello forum friends. Don't get around here enough but I will try to get here more often and catch up (again). Really appreciate all the nice comments on my last post. This is a song I wrote last year, but released recently for the timing of the season. I hope the season is treating you all well. Despite the sad feel of the song, I love this time of year! I will post the tracks soon. Would love to hear your thoughts on the song! Take care. Greg

Here Comes Autumn

Here comes Autumn
With her leaves of gold and red
And she takes those sultry evenings
And she brings a chill instead
And fills my heart with memories
That I hoped would fade away
And once she comes, I know she’s gonna stay

We met in Autumn
And back then I loved that chill
And the warmth that grew between us
Cant, forget, no never will
It’s the season when I think of you
And I dread the coming snow
I say goodbye again when Autumn says hello

The dawning of the springtime
Can take my blues away
And I can sail away on summer breeze
But the clouds, they start to roll in
Right after Labor Day
And I start to look for changes in the colors of the trees

Here comes Autumn
She torments me out of spite
With her gloomy, foggy mornings
And her cold and moonless nights
And she conjures up your memory
Like a love song, sweet and low
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/09/23 12:35 AM
Hi, Greg.

Easygoing jazz intro sets up the feel, and the song doesn't disappoint.

You come in with a slow and dreamy vocal. Excellent write, love the personification of the season. Memorable images, everything fits together smoothly.

My thoughts? Another excellent song. laugh
Posted By: rsdean Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/09/23 12:40 AM
Greg,

This is absolutely beautiful... This should be a standard. I can imagine Sinatra, Jack Jones, Vic Damone, and countless others singing this song.

I love the higher register of your voice. Also, the production and instrumentation is superb. So crisp and clean.

This is a new favorite for me! Everything about this works and is top shelf.

Bob
Posted By: Alex Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/09/23 07:08 AM
Beautiful song, well arranged and sung. Like David, I enjoyed the personification of the season. Clever lyrical move to hook the listener right at the beginning.

Alex
Posted By: David Snyder Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/09/23 02:14 PM
Beautiful in all ways Greg.

Lovely lyrics, and a smooth, creamy jazzy sound.

This was a pleasure to listen to.

Thanks for posting!
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/09/23 02:34 PM
Everything is good in your song. it arouses emotion and that means it’s successful.
Laurent
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/09/23 07:55 PM
Greg.

Truly Excellent.
A Gorgeous Song.

WHY aren't you Rich and Famous?
A true mystery.

fj
Posted By: WaoBand Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/09/23 08:02 PM
Beautiful song, Greg. Very laid back and the kind of cool ride I'd expect to hear in a movie soundtrack. Exellent.
Posted By: tommyad Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/09/23 10:45 PM
Mr. Smooth strikes again! Beautifully written and sung with great skill. Beautiful arrangement. A true pleasure to listen to, Tom
Posted By: DC Ron Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/09/23 10:57 PM
Really, REALLY nice. I could listen to this all day. Your harmonic and melodic turns just do it for me. Was the song sad? Didn't make me feel that way at all. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/10/23 12:14 AM
Greg, you had me from opening measure.
When your vocal came in the first thought in my mind was "old blue eyes" is alive and still singing.
Everything about this is professional!
Music at its absolute best!
Posted By: firesong Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/10/23 04:08 PM
Greg...this is exquisite...the slow gentle flow is perfect for thoughts of autumn...things slow down and the land is drenched in the colors, farmers reap the harvest of their faith and labor...your song captures this lyrically and musically...the track is stellar and the vocal is so very well done...your peaceful smooth vocal fits the genre like a glove...it doesn't seem sad (autumn is my favorite time of the year)...I fell in love with my wife of 52 years in autumn so I get a fuzzy warm feeling when it rolls around...top-notch all round!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/10/23 09:53 PM
I'm not an expert in this genre, but it sounds very professional to me.
I love your vocals and the mood you create.
Very, very good!
Posted By: vicarn Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/11/23 02:44 PM
Good to hear you back Greg.
You always sounded smooth on the vocals.
Excellent work.

Vic
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/11/23 03:31 PM
In my deepest smooth DJ voice I can muster: "You're listening to the velvet voice crooner, Greg Johnson here on KBIB radio" smile
Greg, You've got the voice that so many of us wish we had! So smooth and right on pitch, always!
It's another great tune with a sad and melancholy feel, but it still is perfect for the subject matter.
You're one of the very best!

Thanks TB
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/11/23 11:42 PM
Smooth and satisfying. So good to hear your lilting voice. Enjoyable listen. Perfect for the season.
Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/12/23 05:03 AM
Lovely from all perspectives. there're a couple of spots of sibilance I'd, personally, address but most folk won't know or care.
Lovely.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/13/23 01:38 AM
Hi Greg,

Lovely song and beautifully sung.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Deej56 Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/13/23 06:24 AM
Greg,

Another terrific tune, wonderfully sung, with a soft, melodic vocal. Love those falsetto like tones you sprinkle throughout like falling leaves. Outstanding write, great mix, cool jazzy vibe. Great stuff!

All my best to you,

Deej
Posted By: jannesan Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/15/23 06:06 PM
Appropriate lyrics for these Autumn days, "She torments me out of spite" yes I can feel that in my bones. Perfect arrangement for the mood, the intro/solo sax sounds lovely and everything is mixed perfectly. Excellent singing, enjoyed those high notes. The song fills my heart with memories but they are warmly received.

The sign of a really good song is that I wish it wouldn't be over so quickly, it happens here with every listen.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/16/23 09:09 PM
This reminded us of the feel of Diana Krall’s Live in Paris concert. The piano is light and the strings are subtle and the sax solo is so smooth.

Your silky vocal sits perfectly in the mix too.

Lovely!

J&B
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/17/23 12:13 PM
What a great song - indeed, "a love song sweet and low".
Greg, the way your voice caresses the beautiful melody and lyrics evokes Sinatra's ballad recordings in the autumn of his years.
Great work,
Mike
Posted By: PeterF Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/17/23 09:26 PM
Greg

Simply lovely.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/19/23 02:22 AM
Lovely piece Greg. Perfect for a small smoky lounge and your favorite partner. Really well done..
Posted By: Al-David Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/19/23 06:23 AM
Hi Greg ...

You are one of the best singers I've ever had the pleasure to hear - that means anywhere from radio to here at BIAB Forum. i think this genre was invented because they knew you would show up someday and give it the justice and validity it deserves. Your lyric writing is out of this world - exceeded only by your voice.

I've exhausted all the superlatives I know listening to you over the years, but every one of them is earned. You are a massive talent who should be all over the airwaves. Simply gorgeous!

Best to you and yours.

Alan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG POST: Here Come Autumn - 11/19/23 07:54 AM
Hi Greg.

This is a wonderful work.
The composition really suits the AABA form you've used.
The song reminded me of those Tin Pan Alley American classics from the great composers and lyricists of the 1930s, 40s and 50s.
You've really done a sterling job arranging and producing this.
Great writing, great performance and superb listening.
--Noel
© PG Music Forums