PG Music Home
Posted By: fgrittner There Goes Tomorrow - 12/06/23 09:40 PM
I wrote this the end of last year. I woke up in the morning and the chorus lines came into my head. Took about 20 minutes to write the rest and come up with a tune. A homage to early 60s country. I have always loved the harmonies created by Buck Owens and Don Rich.

https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com/track/there-goes-tomorrow

There Goes Tomorrow

CHORUS
There goes tomorrow
Walking out the door
All I’ve got are yesterdays
There won’t be anymore
I know why she’s leaving
But she’s never left before
There goes tomorrow
Walking out the door

How could this happen
To put me in this spot
Words I said things I did
Without a second thought
It’s too late
I can’t turn back the clock
It’s too late
She won’t even talk
CHORUS

How can I get past this
I’m barely hanging on
Days of laughs nights of love
Can’t face that they’re all gone
I tell myself
This really can’t be true
Make time standstill
Till I think things through
CHORUS

Real Tracks:
1697:Pedal Steel, Rhythm CountryDrivin8ths Ev 150
1669:Pedal Steel, Soloist CountryPaul Ev 120
1693:Bass, Electric, CountryDrivin8thsA-B Ev 150
2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120
2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120

RealDrums RockClassicBritEv^3-a:Snare, Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Loose HiHat
Posted By: rayc Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/06/23 09:42 PM
Nice one - missing a honky tonk piano though.
Nicely constructed lyric.
Classic kick in with the hook structure too.
Well done.
Posted By: Al-David Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/07/23 12:11 AM
Hi Fred,

I think you might already know I'm a big fan of your music. This is just another reason to ingratiate that statement.

I've often been told to never start a song with the chorus. I have three songs that do just that, and I think it works, as it does with this song. As always, your vocal is excellent. Maybe just a tad more reverb would further embellish it. Just a personal opinion. Your voice always sounds good, regardless.

Nice backing tracks in support of everything else.

I really enjoyed this rocking little piece!

Take care.

Alan
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/07/23 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Al-David
Hi Fred,

I think you might already know I'm a big fan of your music. This is just another reason to ingratiate that statement.

I've often been told to never start a song with the chorus. I have three songs that do just that, and I think it works, as it does with this song. As always, your vocal is excellent. Maybe just a tad more reverb would further embellish it. Just a personal opinion. Your voice always sounds good, regardless.

Nice backing tracks in support of everything else.

I really enjoyed this rocking little piece!

Take care.

Alan

Thanks, Alan. I’ll check out the reverb. I recorded it a year ago and since then I have been encouraged to add a bit more.

Glad you like my music. That means a lot to me.

As for opening a song with a chorus, Merle Haggard wrote many of his best songs that way. This type of song establishes the big issue at the beginning and the verses fill out the details. Again, there are no rules, but sometimes there are a bunch of alternative rules.
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/07/23 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by rayc
Nice one - missing a honky tonk piano though.
Nicely constructed lyric.
Classic kick in with the hook structure too.
Well done.

Thanks, Ray. Piano doesn’t fit the 60s sound I was going for. Buck and Merle relied on guitars and pedal steel.
Posted By: dcuny Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/07/23 03:59 AM
Hi, Fred.

Great title - and the song uses it to excellent effect. Strong start with a catchy chorus, nice vocals and harmonies,and an excellent backing.

As rayc says, a really well constructed lyric. Solid pop write, a pleasure to listen to. Lyrically, everything connects together smoothly.

Love it! laugh
Posted By: DC Ron Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/07/23 10:35 AM
Ha! Nice homage to Buck Owens and the Buckaroos! That was some band. Really nailed everything about that genre in lyrics, chords, melody and band composition. I did expect hear Buck's Texas twang, but that's only because everything that you've done led me there. Nice listen, brought back some good memories!
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/07/23 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by dcuny
Hi, Fred.

Great title - and the song uses it to excellent effect. Strong start with a catchy chorus, nice vocals and harmonies,and an excellent backing.

As rayc says, a really well constructed lyric. Solid pop write, a pleasure to listen to. Lyrically, everything connects together smoothly.

Love it! laugh

Thanks,David
Posted By: floyd jane Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/07/23 08:31 PM
Fred,

When this started my first thought was - "Dwight Yokum"...then reading your notes, that made sense...

A solid write. Good BAND. Well sung.
Good mix.

Good stuff.

fj
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/07/23 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Ha! Nice homage to Buck Owens and the Buckaroos! That was some band. Really nailed everything about that genre in lyrics, chords, melody and band composition. I did expect hear Buck's Texas twang, but that's only because everything that you've done led me there. Nice listen, brought back some good memories!

Thanks, Ron. I’m from Minnesota, so I’m more “you betcha” in terms of regional speech.😄
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/08/23 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by floyd jane
Fred,

When this started my first thought was - "Dwight Yokum"...then reading your notes, that made sense...

A solid write. Good BAND. Well sung.
Good mix.

Good stuff.

Thanks, Floyd. Yes, Dwight was on my mind as well.

Fred

fj
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/09/23 02:02 PM
Great, upbeat old country song.
Like Ray said, all that's missing is an out of tune old upright piano.
Good stuff, keeps my toes moving.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/09/23 02:20 PM
Always fun, Fred. "There goes tomorrow" is a strange thing to wake up to, but, man, you turned it into a terrific and catchy song. Good band. Pedal steel and baritone is an excellent touch. A fun listen, and as I sing along I seem happy tomorrow is gone.
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/09/23 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Great, upbeat old country song.
Like Ray said, all that's missing is an out of tune old upright piano.
Good stuff, keeps my toes moving.

Thanks, B. D. I was going for the Bakersfield Sound, which didn’t use piano, just pedal steel and Telecasters.

Fred
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/10/23 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Always fun, Fred. "There goes tomorrow" is a strange thing to wake up to, but, man, you turned it into a terrific and catchy song. Good band. Pedal steel and baritone is an excellent touch. A fun listen, and as I sing along I seem happy tomorrow is gone.

Thanks, Marty. I agree it was strange to wake up to this lyric. A year ago, after I quit drinking, I had a bunch of songs that appeared in my dreams or when I awakened. Never happened before. And, in time, it didn't reappear. Glad I got what I had at that time.

Fred
Posted By: rsdean Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/11/23 05:41 PM
Fred,

Very nicely done. Classic 60s country for sure!

Bob
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/15/23 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by rsdean
Fred,

Very nicely done. Classic 60s country for sure!

Bob
Thanks, Bob.

Fred
Posted By: Deej56 Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/15/23 06:21 AM
fgrittner,

Cool classic county vibe. Nice vocal, pretty slick production . . . and a catchy chorus. A toe-tapper—however sad—-for sure. Well done!!

Deej
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/15/23 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Deej56
fgrittner,

Cool classic county vibe. Nice vocal, pretty slick production . . . and a catchy chorus. A toe-tapper—however sad—-for sure. Well done!!

Deej
Thanks, Deej!
Posted By: MarioD Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/16/23 12:56 AM
Fred, you really nailed that Buck Owens and the Buckaroos sound.
Great mix!
Loved the vocal and arrangement, but of course I did like Buck! (I miss programs like HeeHaw!)
This was an absolutely outstanding song.

You're from Minnesota? I never heard Da Yoopers sound like this wink
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/16/23 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by MarioD
Fred, you really nailed that Buck Owens and the Buckaroos sound.
Great mix!
Loved the vocal and arrangement, but of course I did like Buck! (I miss programs like HeeHaw!)
This was an absolutely outstanding song.

You're from Minnesota? I never heard Da Yoopers sound like this wink

Mario, Thanks!

Back in the late 60s, I got addicted to the Porter Wagoner Show with Dolly Parton. By the time I ended up in Saigon, I had a Southern accent. Back in the day my Army mates were from the South.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/17/23 03:20 PM
We are big Buck Owens fans and this fits in perfectly with his sound.
Janice bought some dvd’s of his old tv shows for she and her Mama to watch a few years ago.
Good memories from both eras!

It all sounds great and we can close our eyes and imagine Don Rich playing and singing in the background.

We’d love to wake up with a song like that in our heads. 😊

Good one!

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/17/23 06:07 PM
Nicely done Fred!! Very catchy song with a good hook and memorable title!! I think the production and mix are perfect for the track too!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/17/23 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
We are big Buck Owens fans and this fits in perfectly with his sound.
Janice bought some dvd’s of his old tv shows for she and her Mama to watch a few years ago.
Good memories from both eras!

It all sounds great and we can close our eyes and imagine Don Rich playing and singing in the background.

We’d love to wake up with a song like that in our heads. 😊

Good one!

J&B

Thanks!
Posted By: fgrittner Re: There Goes Tomorrow - 12/20/23 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Greg Johnson
Nicely done Fred!! Very catchy song with a good hook and memorable title!! I think the production and mix are perfect for the track too!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg.
© PG Music Forums