PG Music Home
Posted By: DC Ron A Walk in the Snow - 01/19/24 05:03 PM
Our 2nd snowfall of the week is going to be an all day event, so seemed like a good time to remix this one. Made a few passes at a more elaborate production, but simple seemed to serve the song best. THANKS again for your time and insights!

A Walk in the Snow

****** Song Summary *************
Style is _GAMBOL.STY (Gambol Songwriter Folk Groove)
RealTracks in style: 3120:Bass, Acoustic, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1772:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkMovin Ev16 130
RealTracks in style: 2933:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterFolkSlapQuinn Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2932:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterAlternating8thsQuinn Ev 110
RealDrums in style:NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Lyrics: R.W.Davis
Vocals: D.A. Hughes
Shoveling: Me

Pipes froze
Roads closed
So much snow
That we don’t know
How far we can go
I suppose
I’m not opposed
To saying hello In person
A little flirtin’

The two miles between here and there
Will go faster if we both walk
And I’m keenly aware
That it’s much too cold to talk
So with whatever you wear
Make sure it will keep you warm
Then we will walk hand in glove
Into this fierce snow storm
Cos love
Yes, love will make you do such stupid things

Mid-day
Sky’s gray
It’s off-white
Like the twilight
The sun is not bright
It won’t stay
It’s gone away
It’s hiding in fright
I suppose
Or maybe it’s froze

The two miles between me and you
Will go faster if we both walk
And I suppose it’s true
That it’s much too cold to talk
So with whatever you wear
Make sure it will keep you warm
Then we will walk hand in glove
Into this fierce snow storm
Cos love

Cos love
Posted By: rsdean Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/19/24 06:23 PM
Ron,

Great song with great vocals. It's got a very cool 60s pop sound. Love the mix.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/19/24 06:36 PM
Ron, R.W., D.A.

Y'all are putting out an truly enjoyable catalog.
Good Pop Music.

Everything about this works.
An interesting write, crystal-clear vocals and BGVs sitting perfectly in the mix, a terrific selection of tracks - simple and full.
Drums as they should be.

Good Pop Music. (bears repeating)

fj
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/19/24 09:42 PM
Sounds old-fashioned and innocent in a positive way.
I like the words you chose and the way you sing them, Ron.
An interesting prosody is something I can learn from singers like you.
Really good production ... 2 thumbs up!
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/19/24 09:47 PM
I used to live in snow country and I'm kind of glad I'm out of it now. Pretty good description of life in the snow, it brought me back. Very impressive mix.

Brad
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/19/24 11:46 PM
Hi Ron,

As always, another great Pop hit. You, Dusty, and your brother know how to keep your listeners happy!

Sim-le, yet full. Understated, yet says everything needed. Heart-warming on a cold day. i could go on, but I think you get the idea.

It's perky without being "all dolled up". It pushes all the buttons. Excellent song with a stellar presentation. You gentlemen simply know how to write and deliver wonderful music.

Stay warm!

Alan
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/20/24 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by rsdean
Ron, Great song with great vocals. It's got a very cool 60s pop sound. Love the mix. Excellent! Bob

Bob, thanks for the listen, glad you liked it!

Originally Posted by floyd jane
Ron, R.W., D.A. Y'all are putting out an truly enjoyable catalog. Good Pop Music. Everything about this works. An interesting write, crystal-clear vocals and BGVs sitting perfectly in the mix, a terrific selection of tracks - simple and full. Drums as they should be. Good Pop Music. (bears repeating) fj

Floyd, when the lyricist and vocalist raise the bar, I can sometimes overthink the mix in an effort not to screw up their work. Thanks for the listen and validating that it might be pretty close this time. Whew! Of course, I could always gain stage the electric piano in that middle section...Ha!

Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Sounds old-fashioned and innocent in a positive way. I like the words you chose and the way you sing them, Ron. An interesting prosody is something I can learn from singers like you. Really good production ... 2 thumbs up!

Brain, glad you liked it! Have to point out that the vocalist you hear is not me, although I did the guide vocals. So I guess I can take credit for the phrasing. Thank you for the listen!

Originally Posted by Brad Williams
I used to live in snow country and I'm kind of glad I'm out of it now. Pretty good description of life in the snow, it brought me back. Very impressive mix. Brad

Brad, yeah, I listened to this again yesterday while shoveling out the cars and grimly smiling at the lyrics. Glad it worked for you!

Originally Posted by Al-David
Hi Ron, As always, another great Pop hit. You, Dusty, and your brother know how to keep your listeners happy! Sim-le, yet full. Understated, yet says everything needed. Heart-warming on a cold day. i could go on, but I think you get the idea. It's perky without being "all dolled up". It pushes all the buttons. Excellent song with a stellar presentation. You gentlemen simply know how to write and deliver wonderful music. Stay warm! Alan

Alan, so glad you liked it! They lyrics really are lovely and set the tone for everything. And Dusty nailed it, as always. Have to give them all the credit for keeping the pressure on me to deliver. Ha! Hey, thanks for remembering our alter egos, too! ATB, Ron
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/20/24 04:12 PM
I just started writing another song about winter after walking knee-deep in the snow (unfortunately no-one to share this stupidity with me wink ) and was wondering how not to repeat myself. So I'm glad to hear your original take on the subject, positive and romantic in a refreshing way. Pleasant pop song to ease the wait for winter to end. Good mix, good vocals. Happy shoveling smile

Janne
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/20/24 04:36 PM
You guys did a superb job!
I really like this and as Bob says above, it's got an innocent 60s pop groove. It also reminds me of a specific artist but I can't recall who.

Very well done to all involved.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/20/24 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by jannesan
I just started writing another song about winter after walking knee-deep in the snow (unfortunately no-one to share this stupidity with me wink ) and was wondering how not to repeat myself. So I'm glad to hear your original take on the subject, positive and romantic in a refreshing way. Pleasant pop song to ease the wait for winter to end. Good mix, good vocals. Happy shoveling smile Janne

Janne, thanks for the listen and reflections. Have happy memories of a long ago trip to Helsinki, and the beauty of all things Finnish. Even the snow. Ha!

Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
You guys did a superb job! I really like this and as Bob says above, it's got an innocent 60s pop groove. It also reminds me of a specific artist but I can't recall who. Very well done to all involved.

THANK YOU! The vocalist said this song reminded him of Gordon Lightfoot (which thrilled me, to be honest), but he didn't try to do a vocal impression. Sometimes I listen to one of our songs and think I know the style that inspired it. But this one leaves me baffled. Let me know if you think of it!
Posted By: MarioD Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/21/24 12:14 AM
Ron, what a fantastic song.
Great vocal and mix.
This line is so true "Cos love
Yes, love will make you do such stupid things" - been there - done that!
An outstanding pop song.

PS - We just got our first batch of snow. Today was the second day of clearing out our driveway. The temp was 14F (-10C) and the wind was around 15 MPH (24 KMH).
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/21/24 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by MarioD
Ron, what a fantastic song. Great vocal and mix. This line is so true "Cos love Yes, love will make you do such stupid things" - been there - done that! An outstanding pop song. PS - We just got our first batch of snow. Today was the second day of clearing out our driveway. The temp was 14F (-10C) and the wind was around 15 MPH (24 KMH).

Mario, THANKS for the listen! Yep, I should have "Love Will Make You Do Such Stupid Things" T-shirts printed up. I'd have a drawer full for sure. Ha! Stay warm up there when you can. Know your snow season is just getting started...BRRR!!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/21/24 02:18 PM
Simple works so well on this, Ron. What a wonderful song. I couldn't hear the shovel, but D.A. Hughes' vocal makes me not care. Good job all around. Very relatable lyrics. I enjoy long walks in forests blanketed with snow, and, of course, I love love --except the stupid things.
Posted By: MarioD Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/21/24 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Ron, what a fantastic song. Great vocal and mix. This line is so true "Cos love Yes, love will make you do such stupid things" - been there - done that! An outstanding pop song. PS - We just got our first batch of snow. Today was the second day of clearing out our driveway. The temp was 14F (-10C) and the wind was around 15 MPH (24 KMH).

Mario, THANKS for the listen! Yep, I should have "Love Will Make You Do Such Stupid Things" T-shirts printed up. I'd have a drawer full for sure. Ha! Stay warm up there when you can. Know your snow season is just getting started...BRRR!!

Actually our snow season is two months late. It usually starts in late October.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/21/24 02:56 PM
Actually our snow season is two months late. It usually starts in late October.

Mario, that's what I saw when I checked the winter weather trends for Hamlin, NY. Yikes, lake-effect snow is (usually) really something, isn't it?! Stary warm!

Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Simple works so well on this, Ron. What a wonderful song. I couldn't hear the shovel, but D.A. Hughes' vocal makes me not care. Good job all around. Very relatable lyrics. I enjoy long walks in forests blanketed with snow, and, of course, I love love --except the stupid things.

Marty, I'm about to go for a walk in our urban snowscape, which isn't nearly as nice as a freshly blanketed forest, but we have to go with what we have. Here's to winter fun and the stupid things that make us wiser. Thanks for the listen, so glad you liked it!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/21/24 03:19 PM
Hey this sounds great!

Very 60s! I should go even further than that and say very early 60s! But I love that era and this has a really nostalgic feel to it.

Great job everyone.
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/21/24 03:46 PM
Ron, We enjoy watching the snow on TV. I liked the 60's Pop sound of this and the vocals are top notch. Another good one from the team, Tom
Posted By: WaoBand Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/21/24 06:27 PM
Another great song. I particularly like these lyrics:

"The two miles between here and there
Will go faster if we both walk"
&
"Then we will walk hand in glove"

Poetic twists on 'Will go faster if we both talk' & 'hand in hand'.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/21/24 11:37 PM
We've had more snow (although not a lot) in the DMV area this past week than we've have in the past two years.

I love that 60s folk-pop sound. Good song.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/22/24 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by David Snyder
Hey this sounds great! Very 60s! I should go even further than that and say very early 60s! But I love that era and this has a really nostalgic feel to it. Great job everyone.

Oh, NOooooo! I've regressed to the early 60's now. Seems the longer I post songs, the earlier my song references get. So as my songs hurdle backwards across the musical timeline, I'm actually advancing in the opposite direction. In a few weeks, if I'm still around, I'll be posting...Big Band tunes? Hey, that would be pretty cool, now that I think of it. Hmmm....

David, KIDDING! Thanks for the listen, glad you liked it. Didn't intend to ring the nostalgia bell for you and others, but a happy accident is a very good accident indeed.

Originally Posted by tommyad
Ron, We enjoy watching the snow on TV. I liked the 60's Pop sound of this and the vocals are top notch. Another good one from the team, Tom

Tom, ha! I lived in north Florida for 14 years, so I'm tracking your somewhat distant appreciation of snow. Never used an ice scraper even ONCE the whole time. Miss that. Glad you enjoyed the tune!

Originally Posted by WaoBand
Another great song. I particularly like these lyrics: "The two miles between here and there Will go faster if we both walk" & "Then we will walk hand in glove" Poetic twists on 'Will go faster if we both talk' & 'hand in hand'.

Chay, glad you liked it! I love these lyrics, too. All credit to my lyricist, he's amazing.

Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
We've had more snow (although not a lot) in the DMV area this past week than we've have in the past two years. I love that 60s folk-pop sound. Good song.

Ezekial, yeah, we got 3" on each pass, so 6" is the most we've seen in at least two years. I won't complain since Mario is near the Lake Ontario shore. Brrr! Glad you liked the tune!
Posted By: vicarn Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/22/24 12:49 PM
Nice original sounding melody on this, DC.
I was thinking it could be useful to break up the pattern by having a part verse or chorus without the music tracks about 2/3 of the way in.
Just a thought.

Vic
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/22/24 05:24 PM
Vic, this melody came to me in a dream, so I'm relieved that it sounds original. Always worried that I'd copied it...

Agree with your arrangement suggestion. I did drop the guitars out of the 2nd verse, and the piano out of the 2nd chorus, but it did not make a huge listening impact since the guitars and pianos occupy similar sonic space. Oh well...

THANKS for the listen and input!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/23/24 02:40 PM
Hi DC,

A lovely, not-complicated love/popsong!
Very nice vocals too, but I told you so in your earlier song.
I really like your style of singing in this song, 'Prosody' as Brain said in his post.
And about 'love' and 'snow'; youngster here hardly know what snow is. We haven't had real winters the last years.
Lots of rain and stormy weather, yes, but one can't make a lovesong on that, I fear...

Enjoyed it very much,
Hans
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/23/24 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Birchwood
Hi DC, A lovely, not-complicated love/popsong! Very nice vocals too, but I told you so in your earlier song. I really like your style of singing in this song, 'Prosody' as Brain said in his post. And about 'love' and 'snow'; youngster here hardly know what snow is. We haven't had real winters the last years.Lots of rain and stormy weather, yes, but one can't make a lovesong on that, I fear...Enjoyed it very much, Hans

Hans, THANK YOU for the listen. So glad you liked it! I'm sad for the generation losing the beauty of a snowy winter. We have a photo of our son's face the first time he saw snow falling. It was the best time ever...
Posted By: firesong Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/24/24 04:44 PM
Hey Ron...I'm typing this and there's over a foot of accumulated snow fall in my yard...so...I get this song a bit...a very clever atmospheric love song...you guys always produce very high quality music...I love the style and the vocals (lead and harmony) are top-notch...super mix...a fun yet chilling listen!
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/24/24 08:36 PM
Dan, brrrr! Glad you enjoyed the listen...stay warm!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/24/24 09:11 PM
Ron,
Great choice on the production choices! The vocal is so good on this it doesn't need a huge production covering it up! Beautiful song! Reminds me of late 60's early seventies folk rock classics!
Thanks, TB
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/25/24 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Torrey Bliss
Ron, Great choice on the production choices! The vocal is so good on this it doesn't need a huge production covering it up! Beautiful song! Reminds me of late 60's early seventies folk rock classics! Thanks, TB

Torrey, thanks much! There was really a lot of nice folk rock back in those daze, uh...days. Ha! Glad you enjoyed it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/27/24 03:04 PM
Hi Ron,

Love the work you three produce!

Just a great pop sound, very catchy and hooky.

Good lyrics, fabulous vocal, and super job with the shovel wink
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/28/24 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
Hi Ron, Love the work you three produce! Just a great pop sound, very catchy and hooky. Good lyrics, fabulous vocal, and super job with the shovel wink

Thanks, Dave! Sometimes I listen to all the parts of a song together for the first time, and my only thought is, "Ok, Ron. PLEASE don't screw this up..." Ha! The shovel can get pretty heavy at that point. Glad you liked it!
Posted By: dcuny Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/29/24 10:50 PM
Hi, Ron.

Got to this late.

Cos love

Ha! I was actually surprised the song didn't end up killing the two characters. smile

Fun listen, well done.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/30/24 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by dcuny
Hi, Ron. Got to this late. Cos love Yes, love will make you do such stupid things Ha! I was actually surprised the song didn't end up killing the two characters. smile Fun listen, well done.

Ha! Funny you should say that. There's a different lyric/song based on roughly the same wintery circumstances where there is indeed a tragic end. The song I posted adheres more closely to the reality of the inspiration for these lyrics. (This is one of the few lyrics where I know the backstory.) Glad you enjoyed it!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/30/24 03:18 PM
We like how the lyric shows the warmth of love melting the snow’s cold effects.
The line with “walking hand in glove” reminded us of, well, us. 😊

Dusty’s vocals are supported well with the BiaB tracks.
And it's all enhanced by a fine mix.

Your melody is one we’d be glad to have come to us in a dream!

Keep warm!

J&B
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/30/24 04:02 PM
Nice song, the simplicity of the background doesn't take away from the message of the lyrics. But it's a great song.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/30/24 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
We like how the lyric shows the warmth of love melting the snow’s cold effects. The line with “walking hand in glove” reminded us of, well, us. 😊 Dusty’s vocals are supported well with the BiaB tracks. And it's all enhanced by a fine mix. Your melody is one we’d be glad to have come to us in a dream! Keep warm! J&B

Janice & Bud, glad you liked it! The lyric story in full is a bit unbelievable. Woke up in the middle of the night and checked my phone, saw my lyricist had emailed me a lyric document titled "A Walk in the Snow" and went back to sleep. Woke up with this melody in my head, and then read the lyrics for the first time. And they fit. Queue Rod Serling. Wish dreaming music was a more reliable system. Ha!

Originally Posted by Ronnie Fields
Nice song, the simplicity of the background doesn't take away from the message of the lyrics. But it's a great song.

Ronnie, glad you liked it! The lyrics really are quite lovely. Glad I didn't mess them up!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/31/24 06:03 AM
Ron,

It's a nice pop song.
It has a very 60's old fashion feel.
The vocals and harmonies are great.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/31/24 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by animarorecords
Ron, It's a nice pop song. It has a very 60's old fashion feel. The vocals and harmonies are great. Enjoyed my listen a lot. Best regards. Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki, why THANK YOU! So glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: A Walk in the Snow - 01/31/24 06:26 PM
Hi Ron
Great song
Sounds really good
TOP vocals
Fun to listen to
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 02/01/24 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by PROJECT M
Hi Ron Great song Sounds really good TOP vocals Fun to listen to Great work Many greetings Andi ;-)

Hi, Andi! Glad you liked the song. Yes, my vocalist is wonderful. MUCH better to hear him sing these than me. Ha!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: A Walk in the Snow - 02/01/24 04:36 PM
Ron,
Very cool & positive tune. Really liked your rhyme & phrasing. Unusual and fresh. Solid backing and mix. Enjoyed my listen and thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: A Walk in the Snow - 02/02/24 12:28 AM
Misha, thank you for the listen and sharing your thoughts. "Unusual and fresh" is a compliment I truly value. This song came from someplace I'd like to get back to. smile
© PG Music Forums