PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Rhythm King - 02/01/24 01:01 AM
Rhythm King

If you are as old as I am you may remember the Maestro Rhythm King. It was one of if not the first drum machine in the 1960s.. It had awful sounding drums and even worse rhythms as well as a foot pedal to make it start and stop on a dime. If you are not familiar with it see and hear it here:

Anyway my good friend BobH was over Sunday and we put on a short drum machine loop as a click track and jammed to it. BobH came up with a great guitar track that fit the repetitiveness of the drum machine so we thought why not make a song out of it. So we added our own parts to the drum track and hopefully spiced it up enough so it wasn't so redundant.

BiaB Style = Awaken2 - Slow Meditative New Age
Tempo = 100 PBM

I deleted the guitar track
Drums- UVI Workstation - Prime 8+ - preset Clean Frank
Bass - Ultra Analog VA3 - 30,867Hz - preset Quzo bass
Strings - Ultra Analog VA3 - Angelicals - preset Oxygen PT2
Piano - Ultra Analog VA3 - Factory Library - preset Play A Low Note
Utility track - EastWest play - Symphonic Choir - preset Full Choir

Bob is playing the rhythm track on my SX Tele guitar.
I am playing the lead and harmony on my Harley Benton fake Gretsch guitar and via my keyboard and breath controller the Swam Tenor Sax. All three went through Amplitube.

As always all comments are welcomed.
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Rhythm King - 02/01/24 07:30 AM
Nice job, Mario and Bob! I just finished walking and feeding my 3 dogs their breakfast. This is the first thing I'm listening to. What a cool way to start off the morning.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Rhythm King - 02/01/24 11:04 AM
Cool track, Mario, nice instrumental bed and I like the melody and harmony parts you came up with on the guitar. Sax sounds good too.

I don't remember that particular drum machine, but I had a much simpler drum machine from Maestro many years ago, called the Rhythm Jester, early 70's maybe. Fun times! wink
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Rhythm King - 02/01/24 12:51 PM
Man, I learned a lot about drums by programing drum machines. Ringo was an amazing time-keeper.

You and Bob have great sessions. Must be a blast! Man, that's some fine "sax" playing. Very moody tune. Sometimes slow beats are harder to keep than faster ones. Good thing you had that drum machine to keep you on track. wink Keep jammin'.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Rhythm King - 02/01/24 01:08 PM
Very cool, dreamy song! Doesn't sound redundant in the least. You provided a lot of interest around the theme. I was surprised it ended so abruptly. Thought this would just drift off like a dream...

Ha! Great job on all live instruments, and good on you for keeping your vintage gear in play. It all sounds super!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/01/24 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by TheMaartian
Nice job, Mario and Bob! I just finished walking and feeding my 3 dogs their breakfast. This is the first thing I'm listening to. What a cool way to start off the morning.

Thanx so much for taking the time to listen and comment on this jam.

Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
Cool track, Mario, nice instrumental bed and I like the melody and harmony parts you came up with on the guitar. Sax sounds good too.

I don't remember that particular drum machine, but I had a much simpler drum machine from Maestro many years ago, called the Rhythm Jester, early 70's maybe. Fun times! wink

Thanx Dave.

I think the Rhythm King was the first from Maestro and yours was a later model.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/01/24 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Man, I learned a lot about drums by programing drum machines. Ringo was an amazing time-keeper.

You and Bob have great sessions. Must be a blast! Man, that's some fine "sax" playing. Very moody tune. Sometimes slow beats are harder to keep than faster ones. Good thing you had that drum machine to keep you on track. wink Keep jammin'.

Marty, yes Ringo was a human drum machine as always kept perfect time.

Yes Bob and I do have a blast jamming. We started using the drum machine so we could not only keep in time, we do have a knack for wandering, but also so we could bring them into BiaB and possibly post them.

Thanx for this very kind review.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/01/24 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Very cool, dreamy song! Doesn't sound redundant in the least. You provided a lot of interest around the theme. I was surprised it ended so abruptly. Thought this would just drift off like a dream...

Ha! Great job on all live instruments, and good on you for keeping your vintage gear in play. It all sounds super!

Thanx Ron. It ended so abruptly because that was the way those old drum machines stopped. I though ending it like that added some realism.

I do have some vintage gear but a drum machine is not one of them. What you heard was from UVI Workstation , a soft synth using bank Prime 8+ and the preset called Clean Frank, weird name for a preset isn't it!

I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Rhythm King - 02/01/24 05:03 PM
Cool bit of retro music.

Love the FX, which helps create the atmosphere. And you fooled me with the SWAM sax!

You can find other classic rhythm machines here: https://www.rhythmicrobot.com/beat-room
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/01/24 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by dcuny
Cool bit of retro music.

Love the FX, which helps create the atmosphere. And you fooled me with the SWAM sax!

You can find other classic rhythm machines here: https://www.rhythmicrobot.com/beat-room

Thanx David. I did realize there were so many drum machines! I never used drum machines on a song until I got the UVI software. I always just looped a BiaB drum track. Back when I was gigging I would never use a drum machine.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Rhythm King - 02/01/24 07:09 PM
I love this man, you guys did superb.

As for the "stone age" drum machine, thanks for sharing. I never heard of that thing.
There's definately value in history, it gives one a grounded perspective and an appreciation of the technology we have today.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/01/24 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
I love this man, you guys did superb.

As for the "stone age" drum machine, thanks for sharing. I never heard of that thing.
There's definately value in history, it gives one a grounded perspective and an appreciation of the technology we have today.

Thanx Steve.

I hear ya. I wish I had half the tools to make music today when I was gigging. When I was gigging I used a Casio Strat MIDI guitar controller and three tone generators and my long time friend had three synths for his keyboards but the sounds back then were no where as good as the sounds today. But I had fun back then and I am having fun today so that's all that matters.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Rhythm King - 02/02/24 04:17 PM
This is really cool and inventive tune. The King is used in such a way that I didn't pay any attention to the quality of its sound, thanks for sharing the information about that "beast".

The chord progression is very unique and mysterious, great effects on the guitars, the sax adds enjoyable warmth. Other synth sounds are a treasure chest in this electro-ambient-jazz wonderland, reminding me of a Finnish band called RinneRadio.

Janne
Posted By: rsdean Re: Rhythm King - 02/02/24 04:46 PM
Mario,

Now that is cool... You guys sound like you have discovered a Time Machine back to the early 60s...

Great, great stuff.

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Rhythm King - 02/02/24 04:47 PM
Cool stuff, Mario.
That sax is impressive.

Old is New again.
Lucky for us
smile

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/02/24 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by jannesan
This is really cool and inventive tune. The King is used in such a way that I didn't pay any attention to the quality of its sound, thanks for sharing the information about that "beast".

The chord progression is very unique and mysterious, great effects on the guitars, the sax adds enjoyable warmth. Other synth sounds are a treasure chest in this electro-ambient-jazz wonderland, reminding me of a Finnish band called RinneRadio.

Janne

Thanx so much Janne for this wonderful review. I tried to mix the drum machine like they mixed drums back in the 1960's. They were mixed a lot quieter than they are mixed today.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/02/24 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by rsdean
Mario,

Now that is cool... You guys sound like you have discovered a Time Machine back to the early 60s...

Great, great stuff.

Bob

Thanx Bob. There are times I wish I could step into a Time Machine and travel back to the 60's.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/02/24 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by floyd jane
Cool stuff, Mario.
That sax is impressive.

Old is New again.
Lucky for us
smile

fj

Thanx Floyd. Adding the breath controller with my keyboard opens up a lot of possibilities I don't have with my wind controller. There are a lot of VSTis that are replicating the old sounds.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Rhythm King - 02/02/24 08:53 PM
That's a really beautiful theme, Mario, and I love that recurring guitar phrase. Gorgeous!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Rhythm King - 02/02/24 09:01 PM
Cool, atmospheric retro sound done with retro stuff.
Very nerdy cool
I love it, Mario!
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Rhythm King - 02/02/24 11:09 PM
Great, unique sound Mario. You are the master.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/02/24 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by WaoBand
That's a really beautiful theme, Mario, and I love that recurring guitar phrase. Gorgeous!

Thanx so much. I actually thought that the guitar phrases were a little repetitious, but maybe I was wrong.

Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Cool, atmospheric retro sound done with retro stuff.
Very nerdy cool
I love it, Mario!

Thanx, I'm glad you liked it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/02/24 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Brad Williams
Great, unique sound Mario. You are the master.

Thanx Brad!
Posted By: Sören Ahlbäck Re: Rhythm King - 02/04/24 05:54 PM
Dramatic feelings, I like it! Well done Mario.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Rhythm King - 02/04/24 11:50 PM
You definitely kept it interesting with the musician and production skills. The angelicals (I think) reminded me a bit of Star Trek. I love the bits you play on guitar. Altogether, an amazing sound, scifi space feel.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/05/24 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Sören Ahlbäck
Dramatic feelings, I like it! Well done Mario.

Thanx Sören for taking the time to listen and comment. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
You definitely kept it interesting with the musician and production skills. The angelicals (I think) reminded me a bit of Star Trek. I love the bits you play on guitar. Altogether, an amazing sound, scifi space feel.

Thanx for this wonderful review.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Rhythm King - 02/05/24 08:41 PM
Hi Mario,

First I watched that video, expecting you to perform in it some way.
But the song in it was not your style. Your own version of rhythm King was far more interesting! Really cool, with all those sounds.
You're a much more creative guy than I thought you already were!
Liked it all very much,

Hans
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Rhythm King - 02/06/24 05:33 AM
Very good tune Mario. Relaxing and at times it could transport you to a mystic place .
Well done
Cheers

Mike B.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/06/24 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Birchwood
Hi Mario,

First I watched that video, expecting you to perform in it some way.
But the song in it was not your style. Your own version of rhythm King was far more interesting! Really cool, with all those sounds.
You're a much more creative guy than I thought you already were!
Liked it all very much,

Hans

Thanx Hans. Thanx for those very kind creative comments, I appreciated them.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/06/24 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by cubanpete
Very good tune Mario. Relaxing and at times it could transport you to a mystic place .
Well done
Cheers

Mike B.

Thanx so much Mike.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Rhythm King - 02/07/24 03:22 PM
An excellent song to listen to along with our porch wind chimes while looking through our forest out the window.

A great creative jam and as always the performances are top tier ... as is the mix.

Most enjoyable,

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rhythm King - 02/07/24 05:51 PM
Mario, you and Bob sure have a good musical connection. Everything is in the right spot and contemplative mood makes for good listening, Tom
Posted By: firesong Re: Rhythm King - 02/07/24 09:32 PM
Mario...this is very sound-tracky...weird and wonderful...love the texture running in and out...could be the perfect soundtrack for one of those 1950's sci-fi B-movies...very cool!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/07/24 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
An excellent song to listen to along with our porch wind chimes while looking through our forest out the window.

A great creative jam and as always the performances are top tier ... as is the mix.

Most enjoyable,

J&B

Thanx so much Janice and Bud. Yes Bob and I can be very creative. Bob know little music theory but he uses that to his advance, i.e. he comes up with some excellent chord progressions.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/07/24 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by firesong
Mario...this is very sound-tracky...weird and wonderful...love the texture running in and out...could be the perfect soundtrack for one of those 1950's sci-fi B-movies...very cool!

Thanx Dan. I never thought about it but you are right, it could be used for a 50's sci-fi B-movie.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Rhythm King - 02/09/24 12:18 AM
Your instrumentals are TOPS Mario!!! I love the synth sounds that create the ethereal backdrop!! Vox chorus is wonderful sounding!! And I love the dissonance on the resolution each time. GREAT STUFF!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Rhythm King - 02/09/24 12:44 AM
Mario,

Your songs are always a hoot and a blast.

This is so much fun.

And, as usual, TRIPPY. You, my friend, are the TRIPPY KING.

Posted By: edshaw Re: Rhythm King - 02/09/24 01:01 AM
At the risk of repeating myself, Mario, everything you produce sounds like it belongs in a movie soundtrack.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/09/24 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Greg Johnson
Your instrumentals are TOPS Mario!!! I love the synth sounds that create the ethereal backdrop!! Vox chorus is wonderful sounding!! And I love the dissonance on the resolution each time. GREAT STUFF!!! Take care. Greg

Thanx so much for this wonderful review.

Originally Posted by edshaw
At the risk of repeating myself, Mario, everything you produce sounds like it belongs in a movie soundtrack.

Thanx Ed, I appreciate the kind words you send my way.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rhythm King - 02/09/24 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by David Snyder
Mario,

Your songs are always a hoot and a blast.

This is so much fun.

And, as usual, TRIPPY. You, my friend, are the TRIPPY KING.

Thanx David! l don't need acid, weed, or alcohol to be trippy! I was born with a brain that is half a bubble off!
© PG Music Forums