PG Music Home
Posted By: laurent4114 My friends have gone away - 03/29/24 11:59 AM

https://soundcloud.com/user-294987337/my-friends-have-gone-away

It's a melancholic minor blues.

Style : _POETRY.STY (Poetry British Psyc Soul avec Oohs)

RealTracks dans ce style Style: 1174:Basse, Electrique, Pop Calypso Bin 100
RealTracks dans ce style Style: 1408:Piano, SynthLayer, Rythmee Soul 70s Tenu DblCrch Bin 100
RealTracks dans ce style Style: 3442:Guitare, Electrique, Rythme, British Psychedelic Funky 16th Binaire 100
RealTracks dans ce style Style: 3027:Voix, Oohs, Arrière-plan Pop 3-part Bin 85
RealTracks dans ce morceau song: 2905:Guitare, Electrique, Rythme Clair Bluesy Pop Bin 100
RealDrums [dans ce Style:FunkHalfNotePulse: a: Snare, Kickb: Busy Kick, Snare

Mixed in Cubase, Hayden synthesizer V vocals, guitar solo by myself.
Good listening.
Laurent
Posted By: vicarn Re: My friends have gone away - 03/29/24 12:08 PM
Hi Laurent.
Sad reflection on old age when the road behind you is longer than the one ahead.
It's a good thing that most of us have memories.
Nicely balanced song.

Vic
Posted By: floyd jane Re: My friends have gone away - 03/29/24 04:13 PM
Laurent,

Good song. Strong melody.
Good BAND. Has a Doobie-Brothers vibe to it. Nice!
Good mix.
Nice guitar.
Hayden works well. Nice BGVs, too...

fj
Posted By: DC Ron Re: My friends have gone away - 03/30/24 10:08 AM
Laurent, really nice! Very cool Steely Dan-ish vibe. LOVE the guitar solos, and the BGVs are sublime. The arrangement and mix are spot on. Not my favorite synth V performance, but that could just be me. Enjoyed it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: My friends have gone away - 03/30/24 11:24 AM
Hi Laurent,

I agree with Ron about the Steely Dan vibe, very much sounds like something they would do, and that's a good thing.

Nice job on the lead guitar, I can hear passion in your playing.

Excellent!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: My friends have gone away - 03/30/24 12:58 PM
Describing this simply as minor Blues reminds me of how Charlie Parker would name his songs. It's so much more, Laurent. I really dig the Steely Dan feel (as others have mentinoned). Fun changes with syncopation and pushes, and the perfect melody to drive it along. Love the tone and feel of your guitar. All so good.
Posted By: Derochette Re: My friends have gone away - 03/30/24 04:28 PM
Hi laurent4114,

Video very rich in images which go well with your composition. It's pretty, well done.

Jani
Posted By: firesong Re: My friends have gone away - 03/30/24 05:58 PM
Laurent...I agree with Floyd...there is a Doobie vibe here...Heyden sounds great (I'm working with him these days also)...I love the texture of his voice...great tune...really nice band!
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: My friends have gone away - 03/30/24 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by vicarn
Hi Laurent.
Sad reflection on old age when the road behind you is longer than the one ahead.
It's a good thing that most of us have memories.
Nicely balanced song.

Vic
Thanks Vic. I started this song with the guitar riff in the verse and the theme of the lyrics came to me while listening to it.
Laurent

Originally Posted by floyd jane
Laurent,

Good song. Strong melody.
Good BAND. Has a Doobie-Brothers vibe to it. Nice!
Good mix.
Nice guitar.
Hayden works well. Nice BGVs, too...

fj
Thank you Floyd and it does me a lot of honor to compare it with the songs of the Doobie brothers, a group for whom I have a lot of admiration. The BGV comes from the original style, I just raised the volume during the chorus.
Laurent
Posted By: dcuny Re: My friends have gone away - 03/30/24 08:26 PM
Hi, Laurent.

Nice song - everything works. smile

Just a comment on the word "wind" - it's got two meanings and pronunciations in English, and SynthesizerV always picks the wrong one. The one you want is /w ih n d/.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: My friends have gone away - 03/30/24 11:35 PM
A very worthy theme, which us old-timers will relate to. One of my oldest friends of 5 decades passed on last October, while younger and older ones passed before him, all remembered with love. I also really like the guitar lead in this.
Posted By: Chris37 Re: My friends have gone away - 03/31/24 05:56 AM
Bonjour Laurent,
La répétition des 2 accords du début est particulièrement bien vue et les variations mélodiques autour sont maîtrisées.
L'ambiance qui se dégage de cette chanson est vraiment très originale.
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: My friends have gone away - 03/31/24 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Laurent, really nice! Very cool Steely Dan-ish vibe. LOVE the guitar solos, and the BGVs are sublime. The arrangement and mix are spot on. Not my favorite synth V performance, but that could just be me. Enjoyed it!

Thanks DC Ron for the comments. There are adjustments to be made with the Synthesizer V, there are inappropriate pronunciations.
Laurent

Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
Hi Laurent,

I agree with Ron about the Steely Dan vibe, very much sounds like something they would do, and that's a good thing.

Nice job on the lead guitar, I can hear passion in your playing.

Excellent!

Thanks Dave for the comments especially on the guitar.
Laurent

Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Describing this simply as minor Blues reminds me of how Charlie Parker would name his songs. It's so much more, Laurent. I really dig the Steely Dan feel (as others have mentinoned). Fun changes with syncopation and pushes, and the perfect melody to drive it along. Love the tone and feel of your guitar. All so good.

Thanks Marty. I'm really glad you like it.
Laurent
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: My friends have gone away - 04/01/24 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Derochette
Hi laurent4114,

Video very rich in images which go well with your composition. It's pretty, well done.

Jani[/quote

Thanks Jani for the comments.
Laurent

[quote=firesong]Laurent...I agree with Floyd...there is a Doobie vibe here...Heyden sounds great (I'm working with him these days also)...I love the texture of his voice...great tune...really nice band!

Thanks firesong for the comments. I like Hayden's voice but there are elements of pronunciation to correct like "wind" for example as David pointed out. In this song I used a little Cubase plugin to lower the formant which gives it a slightly deeper voice.
Laurent

Originally Posted by dcuny
Hi, Laurent.

Nice song - everything works. smile

Just a comment on the word "wind" - it's got two meanings and pronunciations in English, and SynthesizerV always picks the wrong one. The one you want is /w ih n d/.

Thanks David for the comments and the correction for "wind". I found that there was also a problem with "memories" as if the r was not pronounced. Since then I have tried adding an r: m eh m er r ih z and reducing the time of the phoneme eh. I'm still at the learning and testing stage.
Laurent
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: My friends have gone away - 04/01/24 08:41 PM
The Hayden synth reminds me of Tal Winkenfield’s voice.

The write, arrangement, choice of BiaB tracks, mix and your solo are all excellent.

Video scenery of stark landscapes fits well with the melancholy lyric but also shows the beauty of life, even in the lonely moments.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: David Snyder Re: My friends have gone away - 04/01/24 09:29 PM
Hey this is great Laurent.

Yes, I do think I hear a little Tal Wilkenfeld in the voice.

Nice job!
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: My friends have gone away - 04/02/24 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by WaoBand
A very worthy theme, which us old-timers will relate to. One of my oldest friends of 5 decades passed on last October, while younger and older ones passed before him, all remembered with love. I also really like the guitar lead in this.

Thanks WaoBand for the comments. It’s a theme that becomes more present with age.
Laurent

Originally Posted by Chris37
Bonjour Laurent,
La répétition des 2 accords du début est particulièrement bien vue et les variations mélodiques autour sont maîtrisées.
L'ambiance qui se dégage de cette chanson est vraiment très originale.

Merci Christian pour tes commentaires
le début est venu tout seul à la guitare et après j'ai brodé autour de ce motif.
Laurent
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: My friends have gone away - 04/03/24 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
The Hayden synth reminds me of Tal Winkenfield’s voice.

The write, arrangement, choice of BiaB tracks, mix and your solo are all excellent.

Video scenery of stark landscapes fits well with the melancholy lyric but also shows the beauty of life, even in the lonely moments.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Thanks Janice & Bud. I don't know Tal Wilkenfield's voice but I had the chance to see her on bass in concert with Jeff Beck.
Laurent

Originally Posted by David Snyder
Hey this is great Laurent.

Yes, I do think I hear a little Tal Wilkenfeld in the voice.

Nice job!

Thank you David for your kind comments.
Laurent
Posted By: MarioD Re: My friends have gone away - 04/03/24 11:14 PM
Laurent,
Great song
Super groove
Sad but oh so true lyrics
Great mix.

FWIW - I didn't care for the synth vocal, but that is only my opinion and others may not agree.
However it didn't really detract to much from this song.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: My friends have gone away - 04/04/24 07:18 PM
Cool production. The type of song that makes you sit back and think a little. I also hear some Doobies in there. By the way, neat video too.

Brad
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: My friends have gone away - 04/06/24 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by MarioD
Laurent,
Great song
Super groove
Sad but oh so true lyrics
Great mix.

FWIW - I didn't care for the synth vocal, but that is only my opinion and others may not agree.
However it didn't really detract to much from this song.

Thank you Mario for your kind comments.
The problem is that the synthesizers sing in tune and I don't!
Laurent

Originally Posted by Brad Williams
Cool production. The type of song that makes you sit back and think a little. I also hear some Doobies in there. By the way, neat video too.

Brad
Thank you Brad for your comments.
laurent
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: My friends have gone away - 04/07/24 03:44 PM
Hey Laurent, a very enjoyable listen.
I hear Michael McDonald in the vocals. But the funny thing is that I don't like McDonald's voice that much but I like this!
I also get a smooth jazz vibe here.

Also, GREAT work on the guitar.
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: My friends have gone away - 04/09/24 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
Hey Laurent, a very enjoyable listen.
I hear Michael McDonald in the vocals. But the funny thing is that I don't like McDonald's voice that much but I like this!
I also get a smooth jazz vibe here.

Also, GREAT work on the guitar.

Thanks Bass Thumper. I hadn't thought of Michael McDonald's voice. I know him a little from What a Fool Believes with the Doobie Brothers. I lowered Hayden's formants a little to make his voice a little deeper. I'm glad you don't like it anymore though. We therefore arrive at the following equation: hayden - 3formant= Michael McDonald.
Laurent
Posted By: Scott C Re: My friends have gone away - 04/12/24 04:23 PM
This is a really cool song. Loved the melody in the vocal. Excellent lyric. Awesome guitar break. Well played and loved the tone. Well done
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: My friends have gone away - 04/12/24 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Scott C
This is a really cool song. Loved the melody in the vocal. Excellent lyric. Awesome guitar break. Well played and loved the tone. Well done
Thank you very much Scott.
Laurent
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: My friends have gone away - 04/12/24 07:49 PM
Even though it's not my favorite genre, I enjoyed listening to it because you supported the message of the song very well with your arrangement and vocals and everything else.
It is consistent in itself (hope this phrase makes sense in English).
Well done.
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: My friends have gone away - 04/13/24 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Even though it's not my favorite genre, I enjoyed listening to it because you supported the message of the song very well with your arrangement and vocals and everything else.
It is consistent in itself (hope this phrase makes sense in English).
Well done.

Thank you B.D.Thomas for the comments. I designed the lyrics based on what the music evoked in me.
Laurent
Posted By: Birchwood Re: My friends have gone away - 04/13/24 09:35 AM
Hello Laurent,

What else can I say than everyone else wrote before me?
A very beautiful song, very sensitive lyrics, good rhythm, excellent solo and good singing.
But I had a wish about how the phrase "nothing remains" is sung and I would like it to be sung ;-)
The vocals go down every time on 'remain', where I would like them to go up and bring in a little more emotion there.
But I know, it's a matter of taste...

I enjoyed it much,
Hans
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: My friends have gone away - 04/14/24 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Birchwood
Hello Laurent,

What else can I say than everyone else wrote before me?
A very beautiful song, very sensitive lyrics, good rhythm, excellent solo and good singing.
But I had a wish about how the phrase "nothing remains" is sung and I would like it to be sung ;-)
The vocals go down every time on 'remain', where I would like them to go up and bring in a little more emotion there.
But I know, it's a matter of taste...

I enjoyed it much,
Hans
Thanks Hans for the comments. To be honest, I haven't thought about this detail. I thought of it as if without thinking about another option.
Laurent
© PG Music Forums