PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/01/24 03:42 PM
Bob and I on 3-24

My friend BobH came over on Sunday, 3/24, and started to jam a chord progression that I immediately recorded. As I was adding effects to said progression he started to play a lead. It was a super lead but since he does not use picks the recording of his lead was extremely low. Instead of messing around with preamps and such I gave him my Harley Benton fake Gretsch guitar, which is always ready to record: I wanted to get as close to a first take as I could. I played my SX Fretless bass and via my keyboard controller the violin. Band-in-a-Box supplied the piano track.

BiaB track - 2056:Piano, Rhythm CelticAir, EV 085 Super MIDI track
I only modified two measures on this track.
Violin - Kontakt - Amedeus - solo violin

As always all comments are welcomed.

{edit} - I forgot to add the piano sound is EZKeys2 - upright - saloon.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/01/24 07:55 PM
Hi, Mario.

Nice and mellow. laugh
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/01/24 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by dcuny
Hi, Mario.

Nice and mellow. laugh

Thanx David.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/02/24 07:47 AM
Hi Mario,

That's a real nice listen! Nice guitar work - and some terrific backing tracks! Nicvely dione!

Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/02/24 11:00 AM
Nice little jam, Mario! Violin sounds great. I like Bob's style, very melodic.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/02/24 12:06 PM
Sounds like you're enjoying life, Mario. Relaxing tune.

Vic
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/02/24 01:40 PM
Man, you gotta start charging admission to your Sunday jams, Mario. You and Bob have so much fun and in shows in the music. I like Bob even more now since we both don't play with a pic. His approach really brought out the relaxed feel of the progression, and that fretless is always a good choice in your hands. The violin was an interesting intrusion that was also most welcomed.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/02/24 09:40 PM
Mario, nicely done, again! Your tune sets a cool mood and all the instruments sound great. Really like the FX chain on the guitar: Lots of pleasing ambience without excessive airiness, but not muddy at all. You guys have WAY too much fun, and I'm a little jealous....
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/03/24 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Al-David
Hi Mario,

That's a real nice listen! Nice guitar work - and some terrific backing tracks! Nicvely dione!

Best to you,

Alan

Thanx Alan. That's Bob's guitar work. When he played as a duet with his brother-in-law he never got to play any leads. Now he is excels at it!

Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
Nice little jam, Mario! Violin sounds great. I like Bob's style, very melodic.

Thanx Dave. Adding that drone violin was Bob's idea and it was a good one.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/03/24 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by vicarn
Sounds like you're enjoying life, Mario. Relaxing tune.

Vic

Thanx Vic. Yes I am enjoying life.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/03/24 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Man, you gotta start charging admission to your Sunday jams, Mario. You and Bob have so much fun and in shows in the music. I like Bob even more now since we both don't play with a pic. His approach really brought out the relaxed feel of the progression, and that fretless is always a good choice in your hands. The violin was an interesting intrusion that was also most welcomed.

Thanx Marty. Yes Bob and I do have a lot of fun on Sundays. Bob is an excellent finger picker guitarist. Thanx for the fretless comment and that drone violin idea was also Bob's idea, and a good one.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/03/24 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Mario, nicely done, again! Your tune sets a cool mood and all the instruments sound great. Really like the FX chain on the guitar: Lots of pleasing ambience without excessive airiness, but not muddy at all. You guys have WAY too much fun, and I'm a little jealous....

Thanx Ron. I'm glad that you noticed the guitar's tone. I was surprised that the BiaB's piano track fit so well; sometimes I just get lucky. Yes we do have a lot of fun and if you are ever in our area you are welcomed to join in!
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/03/24 10:58 PM
You guys are a great team.
I liked this a lot and didn't even notice (or mind) the lack of percussion.
The lead guitar was particularly well done.
Great job.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/03/24 11:26 PM
Okay Mario this is great and I really like it, and it's really peaceful and relaxing. Ultra groovy.

But I swear to God I don't understand why you don't get the Grateful Dead references I have made before. This is straight up Jerry Garcia. Who is a great guitarist by the way.

🙂

I'm also saying it as a huge compliment.

If I walked into any new age and/or hippie bar in Chapel Hill North Carolina right now and played this song women would start dancing around in their tie-dye dresses and sandals and crying and saying oh my God I didn't know the Grateful Dead were back together.

When are they going on tour?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/03/24 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
You guys are a great team.
I liked this a lot and didn't even notice (or mind) the lack of percussion.
The lead guitar was particularly well done.
Great job.

Thanx so much Steve. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to Bob.
Posted By: firesong Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/04/24 03:24 PM
Mario...this is why jam is better than jelly...jam has the chunks of real tasty stuff in it....a very enjoyable improv...good stuff.
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/04/24 05:07 PM
Hello Mario. There's nothing like old friends to make great music.
Laurent
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/04/24 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by firesong
Mario...this is why jam is better than jelly...jam has the chunks of real tasty stuff in it....a very enjoyable improv...good stuff.

Thanx so much Dan.

Originally Posted by laurent4114
Hello Mario. There's nothing like old friends to make great music.
Laurent

You got that right! Thanx for listening to our little jam.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/04/24 06:52 PM
I can almost see the smile on your face as you guys were recording this. Great jam. I think a little percussion would add a lot too, but that may not be the feel you're going for. Regardless, it was cool to have you bring us into the room to listen to you guys pick a little.

Brad
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/04/24 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Brad Williams
I can almost see the smile on your face as you guys were recording this. Great jam. I think a little percussion would add a lot too, but that may not be the feel you're going for. Regardless, it was cool to have you bring us into the room to listen to you guys pick a little.

Brad

Thanx Brad. We tried a little drums and percussion but thought it sounded better without it.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/05/24 06:51 PM
Hi MarioD,

nice chord progression. Pleasant ambient music.

Jani
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/05/24 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Derochette
Hi MarioD,

nice chord progression. Pleasant ambient music.

Jani

Thanx Jani for listening and commenting. We appreciate it.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/10/24 07:57 PM
Great collab and performances by you both.
We always love a fretless bass. Jack Bruce got us into that years ago.

Mellow and engaging --- not the easiest task. smile

The MST sounds excellent. MST's are our only venture into Midi ... we often use them.
They are great in our opinion.

Nice!

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/11/24 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
Great collab and performances by you both.
We always love a fretless bass. Jack Bruce got us into that years ago.

Mellow and engaging --- not the easiest task. smile

The MST sounds excellent. MST's are our only venture into Midi ... we often use them.
They are great in our opinion.

Nice!

J&B

Thanx so much for this very kind review Janice and Bud. MST's sound so great as they are not quantized and they are played by musicians. I prefer them over RTs.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/12/24 04:16 PM
Nice. Smooth.
A good listen.

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/12/24 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by floyd jane
Nice. Smooth.
A good listen.

fj

Thanx Floyd.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/13/24 07:05 PM
I had to look up the definition of 'soliloquy' as it was the first word that came to mind when this instrumental began. It's not quite the right word, but it sort of is a musical duet soliloquy - like 2 musicians playing to themselves, yet in harmony with each other. I soothing drift-along or float-along tune.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/13/24 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by WaoBand
I had to look up the definition of 'soliloquy' as it was the first word that came to mind when this instrumental began. It's not quite the right word, but it sort of is a musical duet soliloquy - like 2 musicians playing to themselves, yet in harmony with each other. I soothing drift-along or float-along tune.

Thanx so much for listening and commenting. "like 2 musicians playing to themselves, yet in harmony with each other", that accurately describes Bob and I to a tee!
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: Bob and I on 3-24 - 04/13/24 07:31 PM
Such a relaxing and soothing song, I love it!!
© PG Music Forums