PG Music Home
Posted By: critter First RT entry to the forum - 11/03/10 06:25 AM
song All realtracks, not mastered, still have the count-in, etc. just finished before mastering. I was very careful with vocals to make sure all was ok. Will redo vocals before mastering. I just wanted to make sure all worked together for now.........When on soundclick, the song is listed as "piano one", the song is really "Pretty Girl"........
Posted By: critter Re: First RT entry to the forum - 11/04/10 05:19 AM
I can't believe that no one has a comment on my first post. All realtracks, vocals too, lol.
Posted By: Daisy Re: First RT entry to the forum - 11/04/10 05:30 AM
Hey, Wisconsin:

Nice first efforts. Like your use of the sax track. Vocals may be a bit overprocessed. Great to see that you persevered and managed to get the links set up properly... persistence pays.

I listened to all three of your songs. Are you aware that 66% of your material involves shouting at underage women? (Hee hee).

Daisy
Posted By: critter Re: First RT entry to the forum - 11/04/10 05:38 AM
Yep, had a conflict with flatpicker, rharv, set me straight as he always does, and here we are. Been doing this music stuff for forty years, the computer age has me baffled......Thanks
Posted By: critter Re: First RT entry to the forum - 11/04/10 05:53 AM
Pretty girl was written in 1979, High Heel Shoes was around 82, I'll Walk with God was back in the 50's. These songs were from girls I knew in high school
Posted By: critter Re: First RT entry to the forum - 11/04/10 06:02 AM
As to overprocessed, do you mean the reverb, easily removed, please explain. Harmony is through voice live 2. What are your suggestions?
Posted By: Daisy Re: First RT entry to the forum - 11/04/10 06:12 AM
Yes, sure.... we all seem to use too much reverb, myself included.

Harmonies are fine. That's a nice machine. I have a cheaper TC-Helicon Harmony-M.

Daisy
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: First RT entry to the forum - 11/04/10 06:21 AM
Critter,

I also think this is a good first effort and I thought the vocal was good.

A couple of suggestions I would have would be; first that the piano seems too dominant throughout the song, try having another instrument be the backing focus when you start a different verse and maybe the piano shines more in the chorus. Second thing is I'd like to hear a different instrument when the solo goes to the bridge section.

These are JMHO's and meant constructively.

Sincerely,

Greg
Posted By: Sundance Re: First RT entry to the forum - 11/06/10 05:32 AM
Critter since you asked me,

This is a good first effort imho. It's sounds like you're going for a haunting effect with the reverb on the chorus. I'm always a sucker for "oh, baby" with pretty harmonies. But I agree with Daisy on the reverb. You might want to back it off the lead vox just a little bit but keep it on the harmonies there. Greg gave you some good suggestions.

If you're going for a club mix that's one thing but otherwise 5:16 is way too long. The instrumental bridge is right at a min - too long. We used to turn some cover songs into marathons on some nights - grin - but in a listening - not dancing and drinking live club situation - you run the risk of losing your listener's attention with it that long.

You'll get more feedback on the lyrics if you want it by copying and pasting them in when you post a link to your song. (Most of us do good to remember our own. LOL.)

If you're into songwriting, and you haven't already read it, the best book to start with is 6 Steps To Songwriting Success by Jason Blume. You can pick up a used copy on ebay or Amazon cheap.

Hope that helps. Keep at it!
Posted By: critter Re: First RT entry to the forum - 11/07/10 04:21 AM
I never thought about time as an issue, I have songs longer than that. "High Heel Shoes" is about the shortest I have. All the original songs I have going are ones I wrote back in the late 70's for the band when we were playing live gigs all over Wisconsin. I will have to do as Greg said and jazz them up a bit with some different arrangements, etc. Thanks for the input, will try and do you guys proud. As for a song marathon, we used to end every gig with "Wild Thing," sometimes we played it for twenty minutes or more. LOL.
© PG Music Forums