PG Music Home
Posted By: DC Ron Beach Boys tribute - 05/06/17 09:52 PM
The Bee Gees tribute responses included a PGMusic challenge for a Beach Boys tribute. Hmmm. Well THAT'S not hard, is it? Anyway...here it is. Not entirely PC, but neither were the Beach Boys in the sixties...

lyrics by R.W. Davis
vocals by Dusty Hughes

_RIPPING.STY

https://soundcloud.com/ron-davis-670103812/drowning-in-the-pool

Enjoy!
Posted By: jyonks Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/06/17 10:01 PM
Really fun piece...nice job
I enjoyed it

John
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/07/17 12:03 AM
Hi Ron,

That was a good listen from the songwriting team. You certainly managed to capture the essence of the Beach Boys while maintaining your own unique sound. I found the journey pleasantly entertaining.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/07/17 12:44 AM
You certainly captured both the 60's and the Beach Boys.

The harmonies worked extremely well especially in the Chorus, and the choice of style slotted in just absolutely perfectly.

"She wanted to ditch her fancy clothes and put on a small bikini"
"As she slowly passed all the fellows, and sipped on a dry Martini"

Excellent. How 60's is that?
Posted By: Al-David Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/07/17 12:53 AM
Hey guys,

Some pretty cool 60s sounds! Good job by all concerned. You certainly inspired the right mood. The vocal harmony was terrific - a trademark of The beach Boys. Good write, delivery and mix. Super cool listen! Thanks for the trip back in time - we can easily remember that era. We were in high school. Yikes - we're old!

Alan & Di
Posted By: PeterF Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/07/17 06:58 AM
Ron

Very clever - great harmonies and thoroughly enjoyable.

Peter
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/07/17 10:11 AM
Enjoyed this one. Great harmonies and a fun listen all around.

Charlie
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/07/17 01:55 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments. It was a VERY fun song to do.

A note about all of these songs...

We're a product of the internet. My lyricist sends me lyrics by email. He's more clever than me by half. I know him very well, but he lives in another state, and I don't see him often enough.

I write the music, arrange them in BiaB, record scratch vocals and sometimes harmonies or guitar, mix it down and produce it.

If we like it, we send it Dusty over the internet, who sings all of these that I post. He arranges and sings the harmonies and BGVs, and sometimes plays guitar if I ask. He'll follow any harmony or guitar part I send him, but he'll go for it without a guide as well. (He did THESE without a guide.) He is SO talented, really respects the music, and is nice guy as well. Never met him.

Thanks again. More to do!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/07/17 09:56 PM
Very cool tune . Heard a little Green Day in there as well
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/07/17 10:26 PM
Very cool! Nice, fun song. Good job of creating that "Beach Boys" sound. Really enjoyed it.

Steve
Posted By: Sundance Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/08/17 12:29 AM
Made me smile and terrific B Boy style harmonies!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/08/17 01:07 PM
Always pleasure to listen to your super catchy pop songs, especially this one with 60's vibe. Nice vocal and harmonies. Good BB-BIAB band, the crunchy bass is a perfect fit.

Janne
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/08/17 09:38 PM
Thanks, Janne! Music is such a cool thing, and who knows WHERE it comes from? Really enjoyed doing it, and appreciate that you like it!

BTW, spent a week in Helsinki for work a few years ago, what a great city! Need to get back there one day. All the best, Ron
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/08/17 09:41 PM
Sundance, glad it made you smile...that was the motivation! smile I (& we) can thank Dusty for the very awesome vocals and harmonies. They are sublime.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/09/17 01:48 PM
Hi DC Ron, This is a rockin' tune! Really catchy lyrics and I can't stop tappin' my toes. Excellent work! smile
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Beach Boys tribute - 05/09/17 08:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi DC Ron, This is a rockin' tune! Really catchy lyrics and I can't stop tappin' my toes. Excellent work! smile

Thanks, Joe! Think it was your comment/challenge to the Bee Gees tribute that gave the start to this one. Very fun project...glad you enjoyed it! smile
© PG Music Forums