PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Callin' Your Bluff - 01/19/18 09:22 AM
Callin' Your Bluff - With Cleaned Up Vocal

The original vocal picked up some static right at the end. We live in a 70 year-old house and the wiring gets a little testy at times. I redid the vocal and took just a bit of bass off the the original vocal track, as well as it has no static at the end.

It's been a while. Lots of things going on - some tragic news for Di. But I'll be here as much as I can.

Here's a simple Acoustic Blues number I worked on now and then for the past couple of weeks. It's simple and minimalistic - somewhat in the style of Leon Redbone. Hope you like it.

Will be over to hear some of the newer songs as I can.

Title: Callin’ Your Bluff
File:Callin’ Your Bluff.SGU
Key=G, Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=3:54
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,

Style is _CARRYON.STY (Carry On Even Acoustic Blues)

Title: Calling Your Bluff
File:Callin' Your Bluff.SGU
Key=G , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=3:59
tyle is _CARRYON.STY (Carry On Even Acoustic Blues)

RealTracks in song: ~2475:Bass, Acoustic, HeldSimple Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2677:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm BluesStraightBrent Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: DrivingPop8ths^01-a:HiHat, Snare, b:Open Hat, Snare

(Yep - just three instruments)

Note: That "glitch" at 2:51 happened in the upload to Soundcloud - tried several times but it was there each time. Not on my original tracks. Cyber mysteries!

Callin’ Your Bluff
© 2018 Alan D. David, BMI

(v1)
Now listen honey, I don’t need you here no more
Go pack your things, take them with you to the door
I liked my life, exactly as it was before

(v2)
You’ve been sneakin’, baby you been messin’ around
You can’t deny it, cuz the word’s all over town
And while you’re packin’, don’t forget your cheater’s crown

CHORUS
I gave you everything that you ever wanted
But I guess that just ain’t enough
You have a wayward heart, and a need of the evil sort
Such a mean disposition and an attitude that’s off the chart
Goodbye baby, cuz I’m calling your bluff

INSTRUMENTAL VERSE

(v3)
Don’t come cryin’, I got no will to dry your tears
If you got no hankie, they probably got one down at Sears
I’m done as your fool, like I was for all those years

REPEAT CHORUS

TAG
Adios baby, I'm callin' your bluff
Posted By: sslechta Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/19/18 09:43 AM
Loved this Al! Great song. It reminded me a lot of this classic:
Tracy Chapman - Give Me One Reason

Wishing Di well!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/19/18 10:01 AM
Alan,

Sorry to hear about Di - sending some good thoughts your way...

The song is great. I love the feel and vibe of this one - the pacing and delivery is outstanding.

Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/19/18 10:03 AM
Alan, Now that's some good stuff. You have a very good knowledge of several different genres. Your voice fits this one particularly well. I love the blues and this song as well. My best to the both of you, Tom
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/19/18 10:14 AM
Really well done! Your voice really suits this type of material I think. Enjoyed the listen!
Wishing all the best for Di.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/19/18 10:53 AM
"If you got no hankie, they probably got one down at Sears"

LOL. Loved that line, Alan.

This is nicely done. Good mix. Nice use of the BAND with just those 3 tracks...

Wishing you both good things.

fj
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/19/18 11:18 AM
Really well done, Alan smile The way your voice and instruments and contrast sounds so smooth here. I really like the laid back, mellow vibe of the this tune. It really pays off that you didn't over-complicate the arrangement, and kept it stripped down to the necessities. It gives it room to breathe, and helps all the different aspect hit you harder.

You should be proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/19/18 01:55 PM
Very nice stripped down blues. Your voice really shines here smile Your real guitarist plays your nice chording flawlessly.

Janne
Posted By: ROG Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/19/18 04:33 PM
Hi Alan,

First of all, our thoughts are with you and Di. I'm full of respect for how you keep going through the difficult times.

The song? Well it's just superb.
Why would you need more than those three tracks, when they work so well together.
Great story-line, wonderful vocals and a perfect mix.
Fabulous!

All the best, ROG.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/19/18 06:26 PM
A chill and relaxed blues - sort of an oxymoron, but as Deryk says, very smooth.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 01:49 AM
Alan

Great stuff - sounds great.
Best wishes to you both.

Peter
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 03:36 AM
Hi All,

I quick reply to everyone who has commented. I w9ill start listening to and commenting on the other great songs tomorrow evening. Looking forward to it!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 03:39 AM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Loved this Al! Great song. It reminded me a lot of this classic:
Tracy Chapman - Give Me One Reason

Wishing Di well!

Hi Steve,

First, thank you for the kind thoughts for Di. We both appreciate that very much. And I appreciate your very nice comments on the song. And yes, that particular Tracy Chapman song is a favorite of mine and Di's. And you;re right - there are some similarities. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, I'm originally from suburban St. Louis (St. Charles). I was born in St. Louis (Bethesda Hospital) and grew up in Troy and then St. Charles - moved to St. Charles in 1959. I now live in northern Alabama.

Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 03:41 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan,

Sorry to hear about Di - sending some good thoughts your way...

The song is great. I love the feel and vibe of this one - the pacing and delivery is outstanding.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the thoughts on Di - we both appreciate that.

Glad you enjoyed the song. It took me a couple of weeks to get it done but it was one of the easier songs for me to write, musically and lyrically. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 03:44 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Alan, Now that's some good stuff. You have a very good knowledge of several different genres. Your voice fits this one particularly well. I love the blues and this song as well. My best to the both of you, Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Much appreciated.

Glad you enjoyed the song. It was fun to put together. We like the Blues, too - great music! I've always liked almost all genres of music and try to get a grasp on their construction and deliveryz. I'm pleased to hear that some of that effort shows through.

Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 03:45 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Really well done! Your voice really suits this type of material I think. Enjoyed the listen!
Wishing all the best for Di.

Hi Dave,

Thanks a bunch! I'm delighted you like the song. Thanks for letting me know. Wishing you well.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 03:47 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
"If you got no hankie, they probably got one down at Sears"

LOL. Loved that line, Alan.

This is nicely done. Good mix. Nice use of the BAND with just those 3 tracks...

Wishing you both good things.

fj

Hi Floyd,

I hate to pat my own back, but I liked that line, too. It just came to me ... didn't have to ponder it. I like it when that happens! Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Sure do appreciate that! Best to you and yours,

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 03:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Really well done, Alan smile The way your voice and instruments and contrast sounds so smooth here. I really like the laid back, mellow vibe of the this tune. It really pays off that you didn't over-complicate the arrangement, and kept it stripped down to the necessities. It gives it room to breathe, and helps all the different aspect hit you harder.

You should be proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing!

Deryk,

You are much too kind - but don't stop! Contrast is always good in a song as long as it compliments the two sides. glad this one came across that way. Di, my wife, made a similar comment when she listened. Thank you very much. I'm enjoying my 2018 BIAB update! Best to you and everyone at PG Music.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 03:52 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice stripped down blues. Your voice really shines here smile Your real guitarist plays your nice chording flawlessly.

Janne

Janne,

Thank you very much! Not very many of my vocals "shine"! So I appreciate that so much. My singing voice is mediocre, so I enjoy all kind comments in reference to it. And yes, those backing tracks are marvelous - a big shout-out to PG Music! Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 03:57 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Alan,

First of all, our thoughts are with you and Di. I'm full of respect for how you keep going through the difficult times.

The song? Well it's just superb.
Why would you need more than those three tracks, when they work so well together.
Great story-line, wonderful vocals and a perfect mix.
Fabulous!

All the best, ROG.

Hi ROG.

Thank you for the kind words for Di. Her issues agree complicated, serious and varied. Keeping her alive is often a full-time task.

Your comments on the song are very kind. PG Music really hit the bullseye with many of their new tracks. I just massaged what they gave us. Apparently it worked out ok this time. I was very happy to hear the comments about the mix - that is not my strong point. Again, many sincere thanks. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 03:59 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
A chill and relaxed blues - sort of an oxymoron, but as Deryk says, very smooth.

Hi David,

I like that oxymoronic observation! I hadn't thought of it in those terms but that's a great perspective. Thank you noticing and commenting on that. Di often says I'm an oxymoron minus the oxy!

Wishing you well.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 04:00 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan

Great stuff - sounds great.
Best wishes to you both.

Peter

Hi Peter.

Thanks for the kindness - musically and otherwise. We sure do appreciate it. Glad you enjoyed the song. Wishing you well.

Alan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 04:31 AM
Alan,

I'm so sorry to hear about Di. Please let her know that I'm sending prayers and healing thoughts her way.

What you've managed to achieve with three instruments is a testament to your skills as a composer, a performing musician and an arranger. I absolutely loved the journey that you took me on. Not only do you have a flair with words but you also have a very well honed ability to set them musically so that prosody is the star of the show. The net result is that the lyrics flow effortlessly and without fuss, and they fit perfectly.

I always love listening to your music.

May good things come your way.
Noel
Posted By: RichMac Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 04:42 AM
Hi Alan.

Your voice is spot on for this song.
The accompaniment is also spot on.
I do like music with coherent phrasing and breathing room.
Thumbs up. Best wishes to you both.

Cheers.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 05:38 AM
Man! You know how to write a song smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 11:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Alan,

I'm so sorry to hear about Di. Please let her know that I'm sending prayers and healing thoughts her way.

What you've managed to achieve with three instruments is a testament to your skills as a composer, a performing musician and an arranger. I absolutely loved the journey that you took me on. Not only do you have a flair with words but you also have a very well honed ability to set them musically so that prosody is the star of the show. The net result is that the lyrics flow effortlessly and without fuss, and they fit perfectly.

I always love listening to your music.

May good things come your way.
Noel

Hi Noel.

Thank you for the kind thoughts. There are other folks on these boards who also have unfortunate circumstances, so we wish all them the very best. But we appreciate your thoughts for Di very much.

You are very kind with your comments. You put a smile on my face! I have no formal training in music, recording, production, etc. So I do all of that by the seat of my pants. It's encouraging to know I get some of it right once in a while! Thank you very much for all the kindness. Best to you and yours.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 11:56 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Alan.

Your voice is spot on for this song.
The accompaniment is also spot on.
I do like music with coherent phrasing and breathing room.
Thumbs up. Best wishes to you both.

Cheers.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the visit, the listen and very nice comments. I'll take a "thumbs up" any time - thank you! Wishing you well,

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 11:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Man! You know how to write a song smile

Hi Rob,

Sweet and to the point. That's probably the nicest, short comment (or any comment) I've received on any of my recordings. You made my morning ... thank you very much! Wishing you the best,

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 12:10 PM
The very best wishes to y'all...

"And while you’re packin’, don’t forget your cheater’s crown"

Love that line

Love the vocal

Love the arrangement

What a cool mellow blues...it all works!

Kudos!

J&B
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 01:05 PM

This sounds great as always Alan. I really enjoyed it.

Please know that there are continuous prayers for you and Di coming from this household.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 02:12 PM
Al,

I like the bare bones arrangement here that puts your fine lyrics front and center:

-like that ( and the other cool lines already quoted!)
I`m glad you still find time and inspiration to keep making music and sharing with us.

Robert
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 03:49 PM
Alan, I liked this straightaway.

And the more I listened, the more I liked it.

Quite remarkable, and as Floyd mentioned, I really got a smile with the hankie line

Sending positive thoughts to Di, and you. Stay strong.

Posted By: Scott C Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 09:35 PM
Not sure how I missed your tune Alan but so glad I checked it out. Loved this tune. Excellent vocal and the guitar was superb. Well done
Posted By: sslechta Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/20/18 09:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
I'm originally from suburban St. Louis (St. Charles). I was born in St. Louis (Bethesda Hospital) and grew up in Troy and then St. Charles - moved to St. Charles in 1959.

I live over on the Illinois side in Collinsville. St. Charles has really exploded in population over the past 20 years or so. If you haven't visited in a long time you may be surprised.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/21/18 01:09 AM
Alan,

Great job on this one! Sounding good.

Sorry to hear about Di's health. Just know that I am praying for you both. You have a lot of "friends" here on the forum. One of the things I really love about Band In A Box. There is such a good family feel to this place. We appreciate you and Di!

Steve
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/21/18 06:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
The very best wishes to y'all...

"And while you’re packin’, don’t forget your cheater’s crown"

Love that line

Love the vocal

Love the arrangement

What a cool mellow blues...it all works!

Kudos!

J&B

Hi Janice and Bud,

Thanks so much for all of that! I truly appreciate it. Music is my release from the challenges of every day. I write most of this (my music) between 2:00 am and 5:00 am - it's quiet and no interruptions (usually)

That particular line was a a last minute edit - literally less than 10 minutes before I did the vocal. Glad you liked it! And I appreciate all those other real nice comments - made my day! Many, many thanks!

Alan

Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/21/18 06:27 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This sounds great as always Alan. I really enjoyed it.

Please know that there are continuous prayers for you and Di coming from this household.

Thank you so much, David. Glad it sounds good in your ears. And yes, Di and I are very aware of your compassion and kindness. And we appreciate the prayers. God Bless, my good friend!

Alan

(Di says "Hi, David! Big hugs headed your way.")
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/21/18 06:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al,

I like the bare bones arrangement here that puts your fine lyrics front and center:

-like that ( and the other cool lines already quoted!)
I`m glad you still find time and inspiration to keep making music and sharing with us.

Robert

Robert,

Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate those very nice comments. When I heard this new style in the 2018 BIAB upgrade, I immediately marked it as a favorite and knew I would do something with it. I'm delighted that something seemas sound okay. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/21/18 06:31 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Alan, I liked this straightaway.

And the more I listened, the more I liked it.

Quite remarkable, and as Floyd mentioned, I really got a smile with the hankie line

Sending positive thoughts to Di, and you. Stay strong.

Hi Trevor,

First, thanks for the warm and positive thoughts. We sincerely appreciate it.

And your comments put a huge smile on my face. Like I told Floyd, that "hankie at Sears" line just came to from out of the blue as I was putting the lyric together - no considerable thought went into it - it was just there. I just wish that would happen more often!

Again, many thanks.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/21/18 06:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Not sure how I missed your tune Alan but so glad I checked it out. Loved this tune. Excellent vocal and the guitar was superb. Well done

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much! I know you are a big Blues fan, so comments mean a lot. Thank you for the kind words! Wishing you well.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/21/18 06:38 AM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Originally Posted By: Al-David
I'm originally from suburban St. Louis (St. Charles). I was born in St. Louis (Bethesda Hospital) and grew up in Troy and then St. Charles - moved to St. Charles in 1959.

I live over on the Illinois side in Collinsville. St. Charles has really exploded in population over the past 20 years or so. If you haven't visited in a long time you may be surprised.

Hi Again, Steve.

I left St. Charles in 1965 and went back in 2001 and stayed until 2010. But I'd visited several times during that extended absence. My son-in-law was shocked when he heard about the rapid growth - he's never been anywhere near St. Louis. I told him to look it up because he didn't believe me. What he discovered, pretty much as I'd told him, the population of St. Charles County in 1990 was a little over 100,000. In 2010, the population was 385,000. He was shocked!

My late uncle lived in both Collinsville and Belleville in the 1970s and 1980s before he moved to Bowling Green, KY, where he died.

Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/21/18 06:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Alan,

Great job on this one! Sounding good.

Sorry to hear about Di's health. Just know that I am praying for you both. You have a lot of "friends" here on the forum. One of the things I really love about Band In A Box. There is such a good family feel to this place. We appreciate you and Di!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, we are so appreciative of the big hearts that reside throughout these forums. We've received a number of PMs from folks wishing Di well and expressing their kindness and, prayers and best wishes. That's really special to us. And we appreciate your prayers. I know you are a leader in your church and have a strong faith. Your encouragement and kindness warm our hearts. God Bless.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/21/18 05:50 PM
Cool song Alan!! Really great attitude-clever and sharp. Vocal is nice, and I love the sparse arrangement (I could listen to Brent play for hours!). Enjoyed this a lot!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/21/18 06:39 PM
Nice work Alan! The laid back approach works well on this! Good to see you around again! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/24/18 04:32 AM
Hello, Alan

This is a very cool acoustic Blues.
Really nice guitar work!
As Tom said, you have a very good knowledge of several different genres.
Your voice fits this one particularly well.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

There is certainly the "glitch" at 2:51 on Soundcloud track.
If it's not on your original tracks, really cyber mysteries!

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/25/18 09:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool song Alan!! Really great attitude-clever and sharp. Vocal is nice, and I love the sparse arrangement (I could listen to Brent play for hours!). Enjoyed this a lot!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg!

And yeah. Mr. Mason picks a mean guitar! If I were even 1/10th that good, I'd be terribly happy. Again, appreciate the kind words.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/25/18 09:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Nice work Alan! The laid back approach works well on this! Good to see you around again! Thanks, Torrey

Thank you, Torrey!

I try to get by more often but my time is pretty well taken up. But, hope to drop in a little more often as things settle down - to the point they will. Wishing you well.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/25/18 09:24 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Alan

This is a very cool acoustic Blues.
Really nice guitar work!
As Tom said, you have a very good knowledge of several different genres.
Your voice fits this one particularly well.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

There is certainly the "glitch" at 2:51 on Soundcloud track.
If it's not on your original tracks, really cyber mysteries!

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki,

I'm delighted you enjoyed the song and the sparse arrangement. And yeah - cyber mysteries can be perplexing! Thanks again!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/25/18 09:25 AM
If I've overlooked anyone, please accept my apology -0 it wasn't intentional. Wishing everyone the very best.

Alan
Posted By: gruverider Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 01/25/18 07:04 PM
Thoughts and prayers to you and Di.

This is brilliant! What a great song! I love the "just three instruments"!
© PG Music Forums