PG Music Home
Posted By: guitar1 Distant Drums (old school) - 04/19/18 04:24 PM
Just thought I would post this, to remind us all of what it was like before the newer audio version of BIAB & Real Band came along. I used band in a box then as more of a layout tool for my songs. In this one, because it was more of a bluegrass style tune, I used a basic drum track to play along to, and a bluegrass style midi bass track. after I transferred these tracks into Sonar 2, I think it was, I played in the two guitars on my Taylor and an old Goya acoustic. I added my vocals and using an old fender dobro and my alveres mandolin lay in the background tracks. After I added the Bass on an old Fender P bass, I deleted the drums and the midi bass. The plugins that I used for finish work don't exist anymore, so they didn't work in Sonar Platinum but The whole thing probably involved two months work. Today, using RB you can accomplish the same thing, and much, much more in a single afternoon. Still it feels good to know that there was a time when my fingers still worked.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Distant Drums (old school) - 04/19/18 07:22 PM
Looks like you forgot to link to the song?
Posted By: LPman Re: Distant Drums (old school) - 04/20/18 08:03 AM

Hi guitar1
I liked how you sang your song.

Distant Drums (old school)
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Distant Drums (old school) - 04/20/18 12:34 PM
Really well done! The mandolins were an excellent touch, and your vocals here are on point. Very, very interesting tune as well - extremely creative.

Nice work - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Distant Drums (old school) - 04/20/18 01:22 PM
Hi guitar1, Great chord progression with this! The vocals are an excellent touch to this piece. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Distant Drums (old school) - 04/20/18 02:12 PM
I enjoyed the home grown sound and your distinctive laid back vocals.Nice place you took the melody too!
Good to hear how you worked with BiaB in the early days.

Robert
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Distant Drums (old school) - 04/20/18 11:10 PM
Gary,

I enjoyed listening. This creation has a very authentic and sincere sound that appealed to me.

Thank you for the background story. I really liked gaining the insight as to how you used BIAB in the old days. I came in at the very end of the midi-only BIAB versions in 2006 and I was amazed at what the program could do! At that time, I started looking around at how to make midi sound as good as it cold. Then, in 2008, Realtracks came along. I haven't looked back. As I see it, Peter Gannon and his team invented something incredibly outstanding with the creating of Realtracks.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Scott C Re: Distant Drums (old school) - 04/21/18 09:54 AM
https://soundcloud.com/user-484637010/distant-drums-old-school

Cool tune Gary
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Distant Drums (old school) - 04/21/18 11:57 AM

Hey Gary,

Really enjoyed this! Great work!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Distant Drums (old school) - 04/27/18 03:30 PM
Nicely done!! Really pretty song. Some great lyrics. Really like your vocal style as well. I love "old school"! Take care. Greg
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Distant Drums (old school) - 04/28/18 07:33 PM
It has been some time since I've been able to spend any time on the forum, so I haven't been doing a lot of posting. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted comments on any of my work. I have several projects going on right now, most of them not related to BIAB. I am able at times to listen to BIAB Radio and enjoy all the stuff that is being posted. It is a pity Spotify or Pandora doesn't have a station devoted to BIAB users. That would be beyond wonderful. Everyone here should have their chance to be heard. Thanks again everyone. Be well, be happy and rock on.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Distant Drums (old school) - 04/28/18 08:10 PM
Old school is a hell of a lot better than most of the new school!

I liked everything about this.
© PG Music Forums