PG Music Home
Posted By: furry Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/21/19 01:59 PM
I'm an enormous fan of the TV & book series called Outlander set in the highlands of Scotland in the 17th Century before, during and after the battle of Culloden. After one very tearful episode I composed this tune called farewell to Craigh Na Dun. A fictitious place near Inverness, where superstition has it that people can move back or forward in time by touching one of the standing stones there.

RealTracks in style: ~2482:Bass, Acoustic, Bowed Held Ev 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 3011:Piano, Rhythm CelticSlowWaltzDave Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1815:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CelticSlowWaltz Ev 110
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2059:Strings, Rhythm CelticWaltz Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 2557:Cello, Background SlowWaltz Sw 085

Layered the strings about 4 times in reason 10 to give it plenty depth and hopefully mysterious sound
All comments welcomed of course

Farewell to Craigh Na Dun
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/21/19 04:12 PM
Graham, now you have me interested in the checking out the Outlander series from the library. Who is the author? Your melody is beautifully haunting. You have captured the setting of time and place quite well (although I have only been to Edinburgh in Scotland).
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/21/19 06:20 PM
Dearest friend,

You've certainly captured the hauntingly tragic aura of the TV series (although I have yet to see it.)

Have you considered offering it for sale to the producers? They might want it for a sequel. Just a thought.

Nobody aces the accordion or captures the mood as well as you do.

I noticed that the video runs on for about 30 seconds. Look for a long tail on one of the tracks.
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/21/19 09:31 PM
Diana Gabaldon, wrote the books and a wonderful job she made of it too. It really is a fascinating series. The TV series has got some wonderful scenery in it, but, I must admit that the book goes into much more detail. The narrator of the audible books is Davina Porter, who does a brilliant job. I like the audio books as I enjoy listening to them pottering about in the kitchen or if I'm driving from A-B
Posted By: dani48 Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/22/19 05:42 AM
Hi, Graham !:))

What a beautiful and sad tune
as directly from a film !
I´ve had the honor to visit
those places shown on your
video as f.i. Culloden !

I can relate to the sadness
that emanates from your
wonderful tune !

Norman
Posted By: Jim Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/22/19 07:23 AM
You have created a delightfully beautiful poignant melody...
I enjoyed listening to it.
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/22/19 09:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Dearest friend,

You've certainly captured the hauntingly tragic aura of the TV series (although I have yet to see it.)

Have you considered offering it for sale to the producers? They might want it for a sequel. Just a thought.

Nobody aces the accordion or captures the mood as well as you do.

I noticed that the video runs on for about 30 seconds. Look for a long tail on one of the tracks.

Hiya Don, yeah I keep forgetting this usually happens when I use string tracks. One of these days, my brain might just remeber about it before I upload LOL LOL

By the way, I HAVE sent a message on FB to the shows producers, so If I get no response I'll dig further
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/22/19 09:43 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Graham !:))

What a beautiful and sad tune
as directly from a film !
I´ve had the honor to visit
those places shown on your
video as f.i. Culloden !

I can relate to the sadness
that emanates from your
wonderful tune !

Norman

Hi Dani, and thanks, yeah it's quite sad. It would be lovely to travel back in time and live as they did in the good times. When Claire ( one of the characters in the show ) managed to get back to her own time in the 1940s it was amusing to hear her complain about how noisy it was. At first she couldn't wait to get back through the stones again, and after a while it was the last thing she wanted to do. Riveting story
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/22/19 01:50 PM
Very lovely, well performed and poignant.

We have often considered watching that series and/or reading the books. You've given us inspiration to do that.

Well done!!!

J&B
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/22/19 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
You have created a delightfully beautiful poignant melody...
I enjoyed listening to it.

Thanks so much for the listen Jim
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/23/19 01:54 AM
Hi Graham,

I love "Outlander" as well and I think your track fits very well with the mood of the story.

Wouldn't it just be nice to be able to travel in time and watch historic events - instead of just reading about it?

Thank you for sharing your wonderful music!
Will
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/23/19 07:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Very lovely, well performed and poignant.

We have often considered watching that series and/or reading the books. You've given us inspiration to do that.

Well done!!!

J&B

Thanks guys, Normally I'm not one for romantic dramas, but this one's brilliant, got humour, plenty action and some of the best acting I've seen for a long time. Not to mention fantastic scenery
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/23/19 11:54 AM
Wow - you really did an outstanding job on this, Graham. smile It flows beautifully, and sounds so huge and lush. Definitely imaginative, and conjures some gorgeous imagery. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/23/19 01:16 PM
very nice music for this tale

I guess it's on the Starz channel here,

I did see the pilot and thought it was an interesting story

nice video clips too,

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/23/19 01:49 PM
Beautiful, haunting melody definitely does take you back in time. Love the video the scenery is just outstanding. Very nice song and I wish you much luck in it going somewhere.
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/23/19 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Graham,

I love "Outlander" as well and I think your track fits very well with the mood of the story.

Wouldn't it just be nice to be able to travel in time and watch historic events - instead of just reading about it?

Thank you for sharing your wonderful music!
Will

Hiya Will, yeah, Outlander & Game of thrones are my two favourite programmes just now. Thanks for the comment
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/23/19 02:02 PM
Hello Graham,

I've been to Inverness and the area around it once, and it's so long ago. I felt then that this landscaoe (actually like many of places in Scotland)had a very impressive impact on me - I liked it very much.

This song reflects the feelings I had back then very well - it's just lovely and heartwarming. Very well done, Graham.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/23/19 07:45 PM
Graham,
Evocative -the layered strings work and you have a knack for creating traditional sounding melodies.
I enjoyed the images too.

Robert
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/23/19 09:35 PM
Very beautiful Graham! It takes me back to my visit there last summer! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/24/19 02:43 AM
Hi Graham,

This is superb! As I'm sitting here listening while I type, the very first phrase that entered my thinking was, "What a splendid and haunting composition this is." You've done a terrific job creating and presenting this.

The video was equally mesmerising. Scotland has such amazing scenery!

All the best for 2019!
Noel
Posted By: Scott C Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/24/19 10:28 AM
Lovely piece of music Graham. I also thought of the Outlander series when you mentioned the stones and time travel..
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/24/19 10:46 AM
Graham,

A beautiful piece. Haunting and "peaceful". Well put together.

We are huge fans of Outlander. This would certainly work as background for the series (Not so much now that they are in the Colonies - that has got more "rough" than "scenic"...)
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/24/19 01:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - you really did an outstanding job on this, Graham. smile It flows beautifully, and sounds so huge and lush. Definitely imaginative, and conjures some gorgeous imagery. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Derek as always
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/24/19 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
very nice music for this tale

I guess it's on the Starz channel here,

I did see the pilot and thought it was an interesting story

nice video clips too,

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

Hi Kenny, thanks it IS a really interesting story, so far I'm on series 3, so well into it and the books as well
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/24/19 01:44 PM
Well done Graham! This was wonderful! The different elements really glue well together and I really dug the chord progression. Good use of EFX on the guitar and adding the strings to this is a nice touch. Looking forward to hear more!
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/25/19 09:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Graham,
Evocative -the layered strings work and you have a knack for creating traditional sounding melodies.
I enjoyed the images too.

Robert

Hi Robert, appreciate the kind feedback
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/25/19 09:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Beautiful, haunting melody definitely does take you back in time. Love the video the scenery is just outstanding. Very nice song and I wish you much luck in it going somewhere.

Belladonna, many thanks for your kind words.
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/25/19 10:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Very beautiful Graham! It takes me back to my visit there last summer! Thanks, Torrey

Hiya Torrey glad you enjoyed it. Give's a holler next time you're over & we can meet up for a coffee
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/26/19 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely piece of music Graham. I also thought of the Outlander series when you mentioned the stones and time travel..

Hiya Scott, thanks for the comment, Outlander not as hi tech as the Tardis for time travel, LOL LOL LOL
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/28/19 07:59 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Graham,

A beautiful piece. Haunting and "peaceful". Well put together.

We are huge fans of Outlander. This would certainly work as background for the series (Not so much now that they are in the Colonies - that has got more "rough" than "scenic"...)

Hiya Floy thanks for the comment, I'm still getting through series 3, where Jamie gets a chance to head home to Scotland thanks to John Gray
Posted By: furry Re: Farewell to Craigh Na Dun - 01/31/19 01:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Well done Graham! This was wonderful! The different elements really glue well together and I really dug the chord progression. Good use of EFX on the guitar and adding the strings to this is a nice touch. Looking forward to hear more!

Hi Joe, Thanks a million. just dug out an old tune and have revamped it, will post soon. Apologies to anyone I've missed out replying to
© PG Music Forums