PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/17/20 06:18 PM
Eulogy To A Broken Heart

Hello Folks ...

I HAVE RE-UPLOADED THE TRACK WITH THE ACOUSTIC LEAD VOLUME DROPPED A BIT AND THE HIGH EQ TRIMMED BACK SOME. I'M OKAY WITH THE BACKGROUND RHYTHM GUITARS BEING A LITTLE LOUDER THAN USUAL IN A TYPICAL MIX. ANY THOUGHTS ON THAT?

I've not had much time for music over the past several months due to Di's ongoing health issues. I've recently listened to and commented on a few posts as I could. I'm missing out on some really great music! But, priorities, ya know.

I worked on this in 15 - 20 minutes spurts over the past couple of weeks ... perhaps 4 hours total. So, it's not very polished. But wanted to get something new posted. It features acoustic lead guitar with two electric guitars lending support, as well as a nice bass and some sparse percussion. Hope you like it at least a little bit.

Just a quick question ... is the acoustic lead a little too much out front? I'm undecided. Or, perhaps I should simply cut back a little on the higher EQ?

Let me introduce the band:

Eulogy To Love.SGU
Key=C#m, Tempo 57, Length (m:s)=2:48

Style is _MURKY.STY (Murky Americana Baritone Ballad)
BassCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
DrumsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
PianoCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
GuitarCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
StringsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
MelodyCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded

RealTracks in style: 2877:Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
Loop in Song: Dubstep\Dubstep - big_man_ting_70_drum_loop_1_f_minor sw16.wav
RealTracks in style: 3160:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsBrent Ev16 060
RealTracks in style: 841:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBalladSlowGritty Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 3321:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist RnBPopDblBrent Ev 055
RealDrums [in Song:CongasEv16[single]: a: Congas b: CongasEv16[single]

Thanks for listening and any comments you might have. Hope 2020 is a great year for everyone!

Alan & Di

Posted By: Robertkc Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/17/20 10:23 PM
Al,
Evocative and moody (must be that baritone in the background), the lead acoustic is a new one for me and I really liked it. On my`phones the volume seemed good -( it needs to stand proud of the mostly electric band), though higher notes did seem a little hard edged.
I`m glad to hear you are finding creative moments... that`s all someone with your skills needs to produce good music!

Robert
Posted By: PeterF Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/17/20 10:24 PM
Alan

A very nice song - and some lovely acoustic playing. The mix sounds good to me
(the acoustic was loud in headphones but better through speakers??).

Nicely done all round.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/18/20 07:40 AM
The acoustic lead doesn't sit so much forward as high in the mix, (I'm wearing sennheizer head phones), about 6cm above my head in fact.
I'm not sure I'd pull back the level so much as ad a smidgen of reverb to move it back "down".
Nice arrangement.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/18/20 12:25 PM
Al, that is a masterful use of BiaB.

That solo RT is a real treasure and, man, did you ever
put it to good use.

The mix sounds good on our KRK's.

Best to the two of you!!!

J&B
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/18/20 01:58 PM
Nice one!
About the mix:
I like the volume on the lead guitar but the rest of the band is a little too far back, for my taste.
I'd say don't change the lead, bring up the band.
moto
Posted By: dcuny Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/18/20 03:49 PM
Nice listen! laugh

No strong opinion about the mix.

I was just thinking I needed to work on my MIDI acoustic guitar soloing skills, but listening to this, I think my time might be better spent digging into the the BiaB solo guitars. wink

Glad you found the time to make this!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/18/20 04:43 PM
Loved the acoustic Alan. Backtrack was perfect for it. Mix was excellent. Well dne
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/18/20 08:45 PM
Very nice, Al! The acoustic sounds good to me in the mix. I'm listening t the song on my PC's El Krappo speakers and it all sounds good. You know that is the real test on audio. smile

Chord progression moves smoothly under the acoustic solo.

Great title!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/18/20 08:59 PM
Alan, I hope that Di is doing better.

This is really a great instrumental. The backing tracks fit the lead perfectly.

Personally, I don't think that either bringing the backing tracks up or the acoustic guitar down as in one volume control is going to work. In the spots were the backing tracks get a little louder the acoustic fits perfectly but when the back tracks get softer the acoustic stands out too much. I think you would need to use volume animation on at least the acoustic track. Thus you can have the acoustic get softer in the more airy (less dense) parts of the song. YMMV

I really like this one.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/19/20 02:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al,
Evocative and moody (must be that baritone in the background), the lead acoustic is a new one for me and I really liked it. On my`phones the volume seemed good -( it needs to stand proud of the mostly electric band), though higher notes did seem a little hard edged.
I`m glad to hear you are finding creative moments... that`s all someone with your skills needs to produce good music!

Robert

Thanks so much Robert. Appreciate the kindness. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/19/20 02:31 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan

A very nice song - and some lovely acoustic playing. The mix sounds good to me
(the acoustic was loud in headphones but better through speakers??).

Nicely done all round.

Peter

Hello peter ...

Appreciate the listen and very nice comments. I've only listened through headphones, so not sure how much difference there might be there. Wishing you the best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/19/20 02:33 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
The acoustic lead doesn't sit so much forward as high in the mix, (I'm wearing sennheizer head phones), about 6cm above my head in fact.
I'm not sure I'd pull back the level so much as ad a smidgen of reverb to move it back "down".
Nice arrangement.

Good Morning, Ray ...

I appreciate the feedback. And I think you might be right. I'll add a touch more reverb to the acoustic as soon as I get a chance. Your listen and comments are very much appreciated. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/19/20 02:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Al, that is a masterful use of BiaB.

That solo RT is a real treasure and, man, did you ever
put it to good use.

The mix sounds good on our KRK's.

Best to the two of you!!!

J&B

Howdy Folks ...

Thank you very much. All that niceness might go to my head! I agree with you about that particular RT ... pretty sweet!

Wishing you both the very best. And thanks for the kind thoughts on Di.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/19/20 02:37 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Nice one!
About the mix:
I like the volume on the lead guitar but the rest of the band is a little too far back, for my taste.
I'd say don't change the lead, bring up the band.
moto

Howdy Cap'n ...

Good to "meet" you. I've been on the forum almost 1 years but have been absent a lot lately ... wife's very serious health issues. Glad you enjoyed the basic presentation. I'll play around with those b/g trax as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the input ... much appreciated. best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: RichMac Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/19/20 04:37 AM

Hi Al,

That was so enjoyable.
I'm glad you put it up.
Life goes on. Yes with priorities.

Cheers.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/19/20 04:07 PM
Alan,

Sounds great. The mix is excellent (I'm listening on studio monitors).

Nice use of that acoustic lead!!

Hope y'all are both doing well...

fj
Posted By: jannesan Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/19/20 04:50 PM
Another nice use of the MURKY style on the forum, acoustic lead and congas give it a lighter touch. Smooth and beautiful chord progression, good use of held chords.

Janne
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/19/20 06:52 PM
Alan, that track has been masterfully put together! I liked it as is! I think that acoustic lead is occupying its appropriate place in the mix! You are definitely one of the best around here when it comes to assembling a track! Super job on this! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Jim Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/19/20 07:04 PM
Your mix & song sound good to my ears...
But I must confess they are getting old smile

Take good care of your lady
As you try to squeeze some time for your music!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/20/20 09:52 AM
Hello Alan,

Immidiatly I loved that acousic guitar solo. Very nice!
But I realized practically every post mentioned that. So Alan, it's true. It is a nice piece of work you did, although you have so little time considering your worries about Di.
I listened to your song on my headphones (not 6 cm above my head like Ray does, but just on my ears). To me everything sounded well mixed, nothing to be changed.
Aah, just read Jims' response above. I think that also applies to me!

All the best,
Hans
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/20/20 09:55 AM
I always enjoy listening to a good instrumental. This is no exception.

Given the short time you had available to work on the song, it's a great outcome.

I perhaps think that the lead could sit a tiny bit further back, not too much, just a tiny bit, please don't bury it.

Nevertheless, a great performance. Well done.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/21/20 04:47 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice listen! laugh

No strong opinion about the mix.

I was just thinking I needed to work on my MIDI acoustic guitar soloing skills, but listening to this, I think my time might be better spent digging into the the BiaB solo guitars. wink

Glad you found the time to make this!

Thanks a bunch, David! Appreciate the listen and kind words! best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/21/20 04:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved the acoustic Alan. Backtrack was perfect for it. Mix was excellent. Well dne

Hi Scott ...

That's very nice of you to say ... I appreciate it very much. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/21/20 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Very nice, Al! The acoustic sounds good to me in the mix. I'm listening t the song on my PC's El Krappo speakers and it all sounds good. You know that is the real test on audio. smile

Chord progression moves smoothly under the acoustic solo.

Great title!

Thanks so much, my friend. And yep ... if the Krappo speakers still sound decent, then I guess it came out OK! Thanks for the visit and kindness ...

Alan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/21/20 10:06 PM
Really sweet song Alan!! Acoustic guitar sounds great to me.....I could listen to Brent play all day!! Say hello to Di. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/22/20 01:49 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac

Hi Al,

That was so enjoyable.
I'm glad you put it up.
Life goes on. Yes with priorities.

Cheers.

Thank you so much, Rich! I'm delighted you enjoyed it. Thanks for letting me know. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/22/20 01:51 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

Sounds great. The mix is excellent (I'm listening on studio monitors).

Nice use of that acoustic lead!!

Hope y'all are both doing well...

fj

Hi Floyd ...

Always a pleasure when you chime in! Thank you for the very nice comments. I don't have much time for music or the forums but always enjoy my interaction here. Please excuse the brevity of my replies, but trying to get back tyo as many commenters as possible in a short time span. Di is struggling but holding on. Thanks for the thought.
Wishing you & yours the best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/22/20 01:53 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Another nice use of the MURKY style on the forum, acoustic lead and congas give it a lighter touch. Smooth and beautiful chord progression, good use of held chords.

Janne

Janne ...

Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And yes, I switched out the original drums and then added the acoustic lead. Thanks for noticing. the original drum track, and several similar ones, got in the way of the b/g guitars, so I used the congas instead. Many thanks. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/22/20 01:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Alan, that track has been masterfully put together! I liked it as is! I think that acoustic lead is occupying its appropriate place in the mix! You are definitely one of the best around here when it comes to assembling a track! Super job on this! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey ...

Thank you so very much for those encouraging words! Excuse for a few seconds as I squeeze my head back to its original size! I appreciate those kind words more than you know. Wishing you and yours the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/22/20 01:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Your mix & song sound good to my ears...
But I must confess they are getting old smile

Take good care of your lady
As you try to squeeze some time for your music!

Thanks so much, Jim! You think your ears are getting old. Ha! Mine will be 73 years old in March. But, my hearing is "selectively" pretty good! But they tend to decrease in efficiency when someone is telling me everything I did wrong ... can't figure out that medical mystery !!!

Wishing the best for you & yours ...

Alan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/29/20 02:50 PM
Dear Alan,

first of all: Congratulations on the 2019 award !!!!

Eulogy To A Broken Heart is really so beautiful. So smooth and gentle. I don't know how you can put such a beautiful thing together in less than 5 hours - it's amazing.

Great soloist track and I love the arrangement and the mix sounds very good, too.

Hope Di has recovered - big hugs to both of you!

All the every best to you both,

Stefan
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/29/20 05:46 PM
Alan,
your arrangements always shine. This is not exception. Dark and beautiful. Since you asked, yes, lead is a bit loud, but if you have not asked I would not even mentioned, because overall it is A+. Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 01/30/20 04:35 AM
Thanks Everyone! Appreciate the kind words. I'll be back in a day or two to listen to a few more of your songs and leave a brief replay to each of you individually.

I HAVE REMIXED THIS AGAIN. I BROUGHT DOWN THE LEAD ACOUSTIC GUITAR JUST A BIT - MADE MANY MEASURE-TO-MEASURE ADJUSTMENTS TO THE VOLUME OF THE ACOUSTIC AS NEEDED. I PUT A LITTLE MORE REVERB ON THE ACOUSTIC SO IT WOULDN'T STAND SO "FORWARD" IN THE MIX COMPARED TO THE B/G GUITARS. I ALSO BROUGHT THE PERCUSSIONS UP JUST A BIT, TOO. I THINK OVERALL BALANCE IS BETTER NOW.

AGAIN, MANY THANKS.

DI IS HOLDING STEADY BUT NOT IMPROVING VERY MUCH. SHE SAYS "HI!" TO EVERYONE.

ALAN
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 02/05/20 07:24 PM
Hi Alan,

This is...

Every time I listen to one of your creations, I sit here in front of my computer mesmerised. Your gift for creating wonderful music has never once disappointed. Time and time again you post songs of the highest calibre.

I love the warm, inviting sound that your BIAB 'band' brings to this song. The aural textures blend together so well that the final result is such a very comfortable fit on the ears. I commend you on such a fine melody, too.

In a nutshell... I thoroughly enjoyed this music journey.

Please say hi to Di. I read in another post that 2019 has been a very gruelling year for you both. I hope that 2020 brings some joy to both of you.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Eulogy To A Broken Heart - 02/07/20 08:17 PM
Liked it all the way through, and then that ending was the best!
© PG Music Forums