PG Music Home
Posted By: EdZ314 No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/15/20 11:13 AM
[Link no longer valid]

This is a guitar solo based on the style _NOESCAP.STY (No Escape Brit Psyc Funk Soloist). The chords are from the demo song. I removed one of the guitar tracks and added a solo jazz guitar on top of it.

I've been working on this one for a while, and I believe it is good enough for the user showcase, but could still use some improvement, so all comments, critical and otherwise, are welcome. This is one of my first attempts at using a synth guitar on keyboard, and it's a challenge to make it sound natural so any tips would be appreciated.

I've got a pretty clear idea of how I want the melody to sound, and this is fairly close, so if this version gets a good reception I may try and work on it some more.

Realtracks used:

1434:Bass, Electric, JazzFunkPoppy Ev16 110
~689:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 085
3442:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BritPsycFunky Ev16 100
Drums FunkSanFran: a: Snare, Kickb: Snare, Open Hihat

Kontakt Jazz Guitar (Factory Selection) with some PG Reverb

Posted By: Belladonna Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/15/20 01:14 PM
Very nice upbeat groove!
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/15/20 03:16 PM
Liked the flow. Guitar is one of the hardest instrument sounds to achieve using a keyboard in fact for me it's the hardest (lucky I play guitar). I could get exactly what you were trying to do with the piece. Enjoyable and something of an earworm. Good job.

Rick
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/15/20 05:38 PM
Nicely done - superb playing, and as Rick said, it flows fantastically well. Loved the groove - easy to follow and nicely catchy. Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/15/20 08:37 PM
Pretty good first attempt.

I don't have the guts to try that myself.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/15/20 10:28 PM
This was some really rad playing. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/15/20 10:42 PM
Ed,
Very cool synth guitar playing, considering you are just starting exploring the synthworld!
The tune is uplifting, fun and flows well. My only "suggestion" is with the mix. I think synth guitar is somewhat way on top and that is not a bad thing, but I would probably use some sort of a "common" plugin on whole mix to try to glue guitar to the rest of arrangement better. P.S. I am not an authority of any kind, just an opinion. I think you can finish this off very nicely. Please post back progress, would be fun to hear it. Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/20/20 10:53 AM
Very melodic. Technically what you are doing is above our pay grade smile but it sounds a
bit like a mashup of a jazz guitar and a flute...if that makes sense.

Cool.

J&B
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/20/20 12:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ed,
... I would probably use some sort of a "common" plugin on whole mix to try to glue guitar to the rest of arrangement better ...

Misha.

Misha - I'm very interested in your suggestion about using a plugin as you describe. Do you have any examples to share? If it would be better to PM or start another topic about that so we don't clutter up the Showcase, that would be fine.

Thanks!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/20/20 01:38 PM
As someone else said, it's really really hard to use a keyboard, a midi synth, and end up with a natural sounding guitar as a result.

It is kinda possible.... There are a few guitar synths.... Real Strat is one that I can think of off hand. They have really high quality sampled sounds. You need that because most midi and even a lot of the sample libraries are not very realistic sounding. Much of that has to do with the very unique articulations and noises and such that is inherent in the playing of a real guitar. But even using something like Real Strat requires a very unique skill set to add the articulations on the fly as one is playing. Use of the Mod wheel and certain parts of the keyboard are important to the realism aspect.

As I listened to this, I was noticing almost from the start that it didn't sound real. Just in the phrasing of the notes and the tone quality, it was evident that this was a keyboard attempt to emulate a guitar sound.... not saying that in a negative way, just expressing a fact.

Don't give up. Take the time to listen to it with an object unbiased ear and see where you went off the tracks. I heard a similar keyboard attempt at guitar many years ago on a different forum and it really took me several close listens to be sure it was a keyboard and not a guitar. The creator of that song in question was a keyboard player and rarely had guitar players contribute to his original music. The guitar playing and the solo in particular were really well done and it was hard to determine on a quick listen. Yep.... keep at it. That's the only way you get better.

Here's a link to Real Strat. Watch some of the videos. https://www.musiclab.com/products/realstrat/video.html

Check out the Pat Benatar Hit Me With Your Best Shot guitar solo and how it was made. Cool stuff.
Posted By: edshaw Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/20/20 02:02 PM
Sounds well, Ed. It's a fusing.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/20/20 03:59 PM
A good first attempt. Electric guitar lead is a tough thing to emulate.
Herb's comments were om the mark, I thought.
Posted By: Al-David Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/20/20 06:36 PM
Hi ...

I almost never use midi. But you did pretty darn good with this. One of the major issues with trying to recreate a guitar sound with midi is it doesn't have much resonance or presence... it sounds somewhat staccato. But I think you did a nice track with what I perceive as the limitations of midi. Wishing you the best. Take care and be safe.

Alan
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/20/20 09:26 PM
That's really good, I like how the guitar is clear and stands out. Thanks for the listen!!
Posted By: Scott C Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/21/20 10:53 PM
Some very cool sounds. Well done
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/21/20 11:47 PM
Well done. Nice lead guitar. Good work.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/22/20 03:38 AM
I liked it and think you did a great job overall. I agree that you need the best samples available to get it to a certain standard. They are usually a bit expensive. Then you gotta learn how to take advantage of the keystroke manipulations. You probably know this already. But I enjoyed what you did and would love to hear what you might do with better samples.
Posted By: rayc Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/22/20 08:06 AM
Jeff Beck was very into guitar sounding like a synth in the late 70s...his band mate/touring partner at the time was very into synth sounding like a guitar.
The melody was engaging and the backing was fine.
keep at it.
Posted By: Derochette Re: No Escape (Guitar solo) - 10/27/20 06:49 AM
Hi EdZ314,

It's not easy to reproduce the sounds of the stratocaster, especially the noices on the neck of the guitar, but you get a very good result and your melody lends itself to short notes. I appreciated.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash

Ps : It would be interesting that you use in demo the version of musiclab in strat intended for synth in order to compare
© PG Music Forums