PG Music Home
Posted By: Derochette Please, Come back Home (new version) - 10/23/20 12:19 PM
Hello the biab members,
I am depositing today, a somewhat medieval Celtic soundtrack referring to the _CWZSSAJ.SRY style.
The chord grid created in biab Vst. I extracted the midi from the real soundtrack to correct some notes. I had the song played by the vst cinematic studio piano 'with reverb). Then I added symphobia brass, female vst freya choirs and for mixed choirs vst Eastwest choirs and for bass choirs vst metropolis alto choirs. The bells and vibraphone are vst from Eastwest Goliath. The flute is a vst IIya Efimov Tin Whistle (Irish wind). The strings are the vst spitfire Chamber strings. And some wav sounds for the strings. The tempo is 78 and the daw is Studio one. It's a fairly sober melody. If you have time , please give me good or bad comments, it will allow me to improve. Thank you for your help.

Here is the link to this soundtrack :
https://soundcloud.com/user-318966631/please-come-back-home

The link to my other soundtracks :
https://soundcloud.com/user-318966631

Soundtrack reworked according to your remarks

Kindly regard
Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/23/20 02:28 PM
Dero13,
I think you captured the solemn celtic/medieval atmosphere you aimed for.
I like the rhythm and most of the layers worked to create a big soundscape. I particularly liked the bass voices- sounding suitably monkish!
The female voices don`t sound as natural to me and I would have like a solo instrument ( the pennywhistle?) more to the fore.
I enjoyed your soundtrack!

Robert
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/23/20 03:32 PM
Hi Robertkc,

I'm glad you like this special soundtrack. I hesitated a lot before submitting it because it does not fit in the usual styles posted on this site. I also liked your very judicious remarks. For female choirs, which seem less natural, I have other vsts in my drawer. For the flute, I will put it more prominently. Thank you again for your help.

Nb : the original reference piano realtrack is the 2049 Piano acoutic SSolo accompagniment Country Waltz.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/24/20 11:52 AM
Lovely composition!
I have two thoughts for possible improvements:

-The beginning is just a tad to abrupt, add a little space there and do a gentle fade in.
Same for the end, the choir ends before the rest of the orchestra, extend them slightly and smooth out the ending fade.
-The piano seems to be overpowering everything else in the mix, I'd like to hear the choir pop through a bit more.

Otherwise, a very moody piece, I can imagine this as a movie score for something like "Game of Thrones".

moto
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/24/20 03:52 PM
Dero13,

Nice, pleasant piece of music. Beautiful combination of instruments / choirs.
Listens well. But since you are open to comments...
I think choirs drop too abruptly in places, making them somewhat unnatural. Meaning, VST itself sounds good, but imagine a large hall or old church building.., when choir does abrupt stops, echo still present for a brief second or more. Just an opinion. Penny whistle is nice! I also liked percussion on this.
Thank you for sharing,

Misha.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/24/20 04:51 PM
Dero,

An ambitious, moody piece. You've gotten some good advice about the choir sounds. The male choir is a cool sound. I agree that the penny whistle could be louder. The piece has some power - a commanding sound.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/24/20 04:56 PM
Hi Dero13,

What a beautiful, intriguing song you made! I liked it from the start. But I do like Gregorian songs. I once was in a church. There was a funeral going on and suddenly 7 monks sang acapella. So beatiful. One can easily forget it was at a funeral
It is a style you don't hear in this forum. I can understand you hesitated a bit. But I'm glad you posted it. This song must be heard. You had a lot of work on it. I can understand that.

But I agree with Moto and Misha on some issues. I think the reverb is a bit too much, the piano a bit too loud, the male choir a bit to soft, the female choir too soft and your ending too abrupt with no end-referb as Misha said.
But does that made this song not good? Not at all! As I started my post it is beautiful. But even beautiful songs can shine some more. Try some of these advises and let us/me hear it again.

Best regards,
Hans
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/25/20 06:27 AM
Hello fruitymembers.

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for your judicious advice which will enable you to improve this soundtrack.

I will try to summarize the improvements suggested in your comments.

For Robertkc, female voices don't sound so natural and the pennywhisle needs to be more prominent.

For you CaptainMoto, fade in at the beginning, for a less brutal entry and outro, adjust the chorus on the orchestra and put a fade out. The volume of the choirs should be slightly increased.

For you, Rustyspoon, backing vocals too abruptly in places and a delay can be applied in places.

For you, FloydJane, the Irish flute should be a little louder in volume.

For you, Birchwood, the reverb and the volume on the piano are a little too loud, the choirs a little too soft and the outro, the end is to be reviewed to soften it.

Thank you again for your good advice. This will really allow me to improve this atypical soundtrack on which I had a lot of hesitation before depositing it.

I take this opportunity to apologize for the delay in my comments on your compositions.But I will make up for it.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash

Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/25/20 08:32 AM
Early music is one of my favorite genres, so I totally dug this. What a lot of work, but it was so worth it! I have no critiques, I would just say keep at it and you will improve. Almost all Early music is public domain, so you could use a well-known piece and still post here. Good luck!
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/25/20 05:11 PM
Hello tuneMonger,

I was pleased to read your encouraging comment. It is true that it is a particular style which does not necessarily appeal to a majority of people but as a user of Biab I try to show that this wonderful tool adapts to all styles. Thanks again.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/25/20 07:38 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Lovely composition!
I have two thoughts for possible improvements:

-The beginning is just a tad to abrupt, add a little space there and do a gentle fade in.
Same for the end, the choir ends before the rest of the orchestra, extend them slightly and smooth out the ending fade.
-The piano seems to be overpowering everything else in the mix, I'd like to hear the choir pop through a bit more.

Otherwise, a very moody piece, I can imagine this as a movie score for something like "Game of Thrones".

moto

Good suggestions, particularly the piano......low mids are pretty dominant. Very nice music and arrangement!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/26/20 05:35 AM
Very ambitious piece, and I think for the most part it works well. You have had some good advice already so no need for me to add to that.

The important elements are already there, nice melody and nice movement.

Good work, I listened to it a couple of times.
Posted By: rayc Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/26/20 08:01 AM
The piano held my attention - it was strong and vibrant.
Occasionally that became buried in the arrangement and sometimes its lead was taken by other instruments but my ears kept searching for it.
As Misha mentioned..there're some abrupt ends to some phrases from the other instruments...some delay or long tailed reverb would fix that.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/26/20 06:52 PM
Hello Greg, BlueAttitude and rayc,

I thank you for stopping by and for letting me know your remarks, which joined those posted previously. I tried to take this into account and I put down a new version of my soundtrack, hoping that this one is better than the previous one.

Once again, a big thank you to all for your help and who took their time to point out the weaknesses of the first version. There are still things to improve but it's easier to spot them by someone other than me.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
This new version sounds great. It was great piece to begin with but the changes you've made make a big difference to the end product.
This is a great forum for getting honest advice and criticism to improve our work.
Thanks for sharing.
Mike
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 10/26/20 08:43 PM
personally I really like music like this and think there should be more of it. I am reminded of a flutist I really enjoyed over the. years by the name of Nicholas Gunn. while his style was southwestern for the most part I loved his work. Your song reminded me of it.

thanks for sharing
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 10/27/20 06:07 AM
Hello mkg50,

It is I who thank you for this return. I'm glad your advice paid off to improve this composition. I noticed that the bass sound of the piano had to be greatly reduced. On the other hand, I reduced the number of string instruments which blurred the choirs. The flute has been slightly increased in terms of sound and harmonic lines in the pianoroll. a fade in and a fade out have been placed. Thanks again to you.

Kindly regard
alias JaniJackFlash
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello mkg50,

It is I who thank you for this return. I'm glad your advice paid off to improve this composition. I noticed that the bass sound of the piano had to be greatly reduced. On the other hand, I reduced the number of string instruments which blurred the choirs. The flute has been slightly increased in terms of sound and harmonic lines in the pianoroll. a fade in and a fade out have been placed. Thanks again to you.

Kindly regard
alias JaniJackFlash

Hi Dero13,
It wasn't me who suggested the changes you've made. It was other very helpful forum members. But they put you on the right path and the results are now self-evident. Well done.
Looking forward to your future music compositions and productions.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 10/27/20 06:16 AM
Hello Rob,

It makes me happy that you like this atypical style. At first a guitarist, I don't have all the subtleties of a pianist and I have to be very careful when it comes to the mix to make the sound realistic. Thank you again for this encouraging comment.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Ardent Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 10/28/20 07:28 PM
My experience of listnening to your composition was simutaneously dramatic, evocative, wistful, and wonderous.
As a sound picture of the title, Please, Come Home, the music was suitably illustrative of the emotions that the title suggested.

I think this is a fine example of how to write music that stirs the emotions by making imaginative instrumental choices.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Please, Come back Home - 10/29/20 12:01 AM
Very lovely music. This could play at the end of a movie while the credits are rolling. The the Gaelic touch.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 10/29/20 10:06 AM
Derio, I love it when the music bypasses my ears and goes right to my chest. Does that make any sense? This makes me sit up straighter, be ready for what is to come, and accept what is while respecting what was. Cool composition, sir!
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 10/29/20 04:42 PM
Hello Ardent,

I'm glad you like this soundtrack. In this revisited version, I tried to introduce ornaments in intro and outro. I also set up a fade in and a fade out like CaptainMoto had me. I reworked the women's choirs as Robertkc advised me. Thank you.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alais JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 10/29/20 04:46 PM
Hello jpjpjp,

Thank you for your comment. Regarding film music, I can always dream of a few producers who would be interested. I'm joking here.

Kindly regard
Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: MarioD Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 10/29/20 04:50 PM
This is absolutely fantastic. Love the arrangement. Every sound fits perfectly. A lovely piece of music that you should be very proud of.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 10/29/20 04:54 PM
Hello BabuMusic,

It's a really nice compliment that you give me. When we compose, we always try to touch people and make them feel the sensations that we experienced ourselves while creating the music. I believe that at home you felt this feeling and I thank you very much.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 10/29/20 05:06 PM
Hello MarioD,

Thank you for this encouraging comment. I spent a lot of time reworking this piece based on the comments that had been made to me. And if you like this song it's because I'm on the right track, at least in terms of music. Thanks for the comment on soundcloud

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Wow! That is a magnificent production.

Sounds like it could be played in a Gothic cathedral.

VERY cinematic.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: edshaw Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/02/20 01:28 PM
I stand in awe. Wonderful piece!
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/03/20 02:21 PM
Hello Janice and Bud,

Thank you for this kind compliment here and on soundcloud. It is true that for this composition, I tried to reproduce a Gregorian atmosphere.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/03/20 02:24 PM
Hello,

Thank you, edshaw, for your comment and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Scott C Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/04/20 12:25 AM
What an excellent intro. Wow !!. The piano and violins were awesome. I got the feeling of European folk song. Very cool production and mix. Just filled my studio. Every instrument so easy to pick out in such a big song..
Posted By: dcuny Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/04/20 12:41 AM
Nice!

The fact that it isn't typically what's posted here is all the more reason to post it! smile
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/05/20 04:37 PM
Hello Scott C,

Thank you for your comment. It is true that I am influenced by European folk. I am Belgian (like the detective Hercule Poirot of the writer Agatha Christie). But I also like Country and Rock. Thank you again for your passage.

Hello dcuny,
Thank you for encouraging me to deposit my soundtracks even if they are atypical compared to the usual styles. Besides, I wanted to deposit my songs on Biab radio and they were not selected because it has no styles other than Country, Rock, Latin or Jazz and apparently, the people in charge could not classify my soundtracks in a category.

Kindly regard at you two

Dero13

alias JaniJackFlash

Posted By: Deej56 Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/06/20 01:41 AM
Dero13,

Wonderful sound right out of the gate. Medieval, Gothic, Celtic . . . all words used to describe this and all spot on. Impressive production. I thought the symbol crash at 1:43 was a little jarring, but beyond that it all worked for me . . . those back up vocals (if that’s what to call them) in particular. Adds depth and mood. Well done!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: PeterF Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/06/20 02:57 AM
Really well done and a lovely ambitious evocative piece.

An excellent listen.

Peter
Posted By: Al-David Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/06/20 03:58 AM
Hello ...

This is a splendid, powerful, and emotive piece of music. It is well-crafted and performed perfectly. You should be very happy with this song and very proud of it. It is one of the very best cinematic songs posted in this forum in a very long time. It was a true and sincere pleasure to listen to. Thank you for the opportunity to enjoy this wonderful song.

Kindest regards. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/06/20 02:13 PM
Hello Deej56,

Thank you for this pleasant comment. I retain your remark on the crash symbol which could be replaced by a less aggressive sound.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/06/20 02:16 PM
Hello PeterF,

Thank you for your nice comment

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/06/20 02:32 PM
Hello Al-David,

I really appreciated your comment where you took the time to express your feelings about this movie soundtrack. Thanks again.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash

Rich and beautiful music!!! A feast for the ears!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Derochette Re: Please, Come back Home (new version) - 11/08/20 01:31 PM
Hello Greg,

I'm glad that you came back to my revised composition and that you like it. thank you so much.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFalsh
© PG Music Forums