PG Music Home
Posted By: musician17 Excuses - 05/26/21 05:53 AM
A song about the excuses we make when we don't really want to help other people :-)

https://amazingradio.us/profile/jamesdelsono/tunes/96d8ec1a-bdf2-11eb-99c5-d6a961ec9db9

On that note, I have an apology of my own to make, and a (genuine, but still an) excuse for it: I've been SO busy lately, I haven't really had a chance to keep up with the forum songs. Genuinely sorry. However, a promise: the busy-ness ought to end this Sunday, so I plan to dedicate some time on Sunday to catch up as much as possible - if you see a flurry of song comments from me, all at once, on Sunday, that'll be why.

I feel bad about posting this song, in the meantime ... I really shouldn't post anything until I've caught up! but ... hope you're all in a forgiving mood ...

Thanks to anyone and everyone that does listen and comment! :-)

and a BIG THANKS to PG Music, of course!

-------------

EXCUSES

... can't do it.
Hmm ... me neither.
... so what? ... yo, yo, yo
... he's not one of mine ...

Yo ... can't afford it.
Yo, brothers ... what's in it for me, guys?
Hmm ... I can't be bothered.
Hmm ... yo ... so what if he dies?

Yo ... he's not my child ...
Yo ... what d'ya want me to do?
Hmmm ... but I'm skint, you know ...
I'm all out ... all out of dough ... yo ...

... poor child ...
... this world is too wild ...

--------------

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Excuses - 26 May 2021
File:Excuses - 26 May 2021.SGU
Key=Cm , Tempo 100, Length (m:s)=2:43
No intro. 64 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 64. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _HOPHORN.STY (Hip Hop Beat w/ Horns)

RealTracks in style: 2524:Bass, Electric, FunkHalfNotePulseSync Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 2346:Horn Section, Rhythm, Funk 2-part, Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 2295:Sax, Baritone, Rhythm SlowPop Ev16 065 (1TrackHornSection)
Loop in Song: HipHop\Old School - gangstar_beat_95b drums ev16.wav
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleEven16^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Voice recorded and mixed in Audacity
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Excuses - 05/26/21 11:23 AM
Well, that's no excuse, James. HAHAHA! You are one of my favorite humans, man. This song is funny because it's true. It's also sad because it's true. I love what you do, brother. Keep up the Good Word. Excellent lyrics, by the way, and I'm NOT being facetious. Simple and to the point, and they (hopefully) make the listener think.
Posted By: bluage Re: Excuses - 05/26/21 06:50 PM
Mr. Delsono...

This is a surprise! Could you have achieved an end that most of us songwriters despair of, which is sending out to the masses a morally righteous 'message' in a musical form that makes it easy to swallow? Quite possibly, yes! The song is tight in construction, scored with Real Tracks that capture the prevailing hip-hop sensibilities in today's popular music, and most of all, you display real confidence in the rhythmic way you deliver your lyrics. Got a feel for what's real, my homey! It's like you've transformed yourself into the 'D.J. of I'll Say...Whatever Needs To Be Said, Fred!!!" Ha, ha laugh !!! The casually 'overheard' nature of the lyrics lends spontaneity to the production, too. High-fives, and keep on takin' it to he streets, 'musician17' smile.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Excuses - 05/27/21 05:08 AM
Marty: hahahaha ... thanks, man. You're one of my favourite humans, too - honestly ... you have a subtle sense of humour that never fails to make me grin from ear to ear when I read your posts. Such kind words about this little song, too! Thanks!!!

bluage: wow, thank you! What wonderful and detailed feedback! Yes, I've gone a little "street" here, but this needed saying. Basically, I set up a fundraiser for a well-known charity last week - only one friend donated. I got a little miffed, haha, and THIS is how this song got born. I'm still wondering whether to play it to those friends of mine, haha ... thank you for your wonderfully kind and perceptive words!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Excuses - 05/27/21 12:04 PM

James, this is very funny! I really enjoyed it.

One thing I might suggest though, it is kind of wordy. Maybe a little more music and fewer words?

Just a suggestion!!

smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Excuses - 05/27/21 12:32 PM
James,

Excellent.

This works perfectly with your "spoken" style.
You should continue doing more like this (my opinion).
Good mix.

The message comes across well (reminds me of the way Marvin Gaye got his messages across).

One of your best.

fj
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Excuses - 05/27/21 06:43 PM
Never apologize for being busy! We all get busy from time to time, but when you bring back such fun songs to share, I am sure nobody will complain! The sax in particular I feel added a nice little flare and extra character to the song. Thanks for taking the time to share with us!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Excuses - 05/27/21 07:36 PM
James

Nicely to the point and well produced.

Good one.

Peter
Posted By: musician17 Re: Excuses - 05/28/21 03:53 PM
Wow - thanks, all.

David Snyder: I'm glad you saw the humour in this. It's supposed to be humorous, too, although of the darker shade of things. Thanks for listening!

floyd jane: praise from you is praise indeed - thank you.

Ember: you are kind. Thank you for listening and for such nice words! Yes, I loved that sax, too ... that's why I left it in :-) It growls along, there, adding that little extra something! :-)

PeterF: thank you. I'm working on getting my songs more "to the point", instead of "rambling" (as I usually tend to do), so that's a great compliment, for me! Thanks again!
Posted By: edshaw Re: Excuses - 05/28/21 04:20 PM
What an original idea and execution!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Excuses - 05/29/21 12:03 AM
James,
Unexpectedly fresh. Very different from the your other offerings. You definitely should experiment more with different genres.
P.S. Maybe a little reverb on vocals and perhaps a tiny bit on whole mix to glue things better might be beneficial. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Excuses - 05/30/21 04:43 PM
Different and creative...

A path you might want to go down again or two or three or more times.

Enjoyed the little backstory on how you got miffed smile

Cool indeed.

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: Excuses - 05/30/21 06:00 PM
Yes very different, very creative, but also most excellent!
James this is an excellent song that was mixed to perfection.

Two thumbs up!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Excuses - 05/31/21 02:16 PM
Very different James. Cool groove in the backtrack. Well done
Posted By: musician17 Re: Excuses - 06/01/21 05:32 PM
Ed: thank you!

Misha: I'm doing my best to experiment, indeed :-) thanks!

Janice & Bud: haha. I get miffed too many times, these days, sadly ... but if it helps me write songs ... haha. Thanks so much for such kind words!

MarioD: compliments from the scarily talented man of the Showcase forum are always gratefully received! Thank you so much for listening and, again, for such ever so kind words!

Scott: thanks - so glad you liked it!

Thanks so much, each one of you that has listened - and a special thanks to all of you that have commented! Way, way too kind!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Excuses - 06/02/21 09:13 PM
Another thoughtful creation!

The world would be a beautiful place, if it wasn't for the PEOPLE!

moto
Posted By: musician17 Re: Excuses - 06/03/21 06:26 PM
Thanks, Captain Moto. I still believe in people, though :-) - but thanks for your kind comment!!!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Excuses - 06/08/21 03:18 AM
Hi James,

Wow!!!!

This is so inventive. I love it! You've really taken creativity to another level with this one. I can hear the rap/hip-hop influence but it is distinctly James Delsono. And that's a good thing. You've impressed me in ways that I never expected. That's also a good thing! smile

I absolutely love these sparse words that resonate with so much truth.

Excellent work.
Noel
Posted By: musician17 Re: Excuses - 06/09/21 06:43 AM
Thanks Noel!!! What a wonderfully positive comment - it really encourages me to carry on writing when I get such reactions - thanks!!!
© PG Music Forums