PG Music Home
Posted By: jptjptjpt Saint Brigid's Day (Hurry Home Róisín) - 01/30/22 03:50 AM
This is my first time using BIAB 2021. I was pleased with the options available to me.

I'll post the links to the songs up front and you can read the particular (or not) at your leisure.

Here is:

Saint Brigid's Day (Hurry Home Roisin)

And the video version:

Saint Brigid's Day:

Thanks for any listens, views, and comments. I appreciate it very much.

Saint Brigid's Day is the first day of February and it is the traditional start of spring in Ireland. I loved that concept so I wrote a song about it.

Here are the particulars:

-SL16UNP, STY Folk Pop Ballad
Key D
85 bpm
1596: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming POP 16ths Ev 16
1595: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop 8ths Steady
1601: Mandolin, Rhythem Pop 16 Melodic

I recorded the vocals into Mixcraft 5, using my SP1 mic, via the Cl1 interface.

Here is a glossary of terms used in the lyrics:

Róisín - (pronounced Row-sheen) is a common female name in Ireland. It means "little rose".

rose - while not the national flower (the shamrock is, or course), the rose has a special place in the hearts of the Irish. W. B. Yeats used the rose to symbolize Ireland in several of his poems.

ewe - a female sheep.

yean - (of a sheep or goat) give birth to (a lamb or kid).

puffin - The puffin is a bird, similar to the penguin, that returns to Ireland each spring.

Saint Brigid's Day (Hurry Home Róisín)

Hurry home Róisín
Ere a rose is seen
You promised we would marry in the spring

Hurry home Róisín
Soon the ewes will yean
You swore to me you would wear my ring

I know New York City
Is very far away
I pray you'll be with me
On Saint Brigid's Day

Hurry home Róisín
Before puffins preen
I miss you and all the joy you bring

I know New York City
Is very far away
I pray you'll be with me
On Saint Brigid's Day

Hurry home Róisín
Ere a rose is seen
You promised we would marry in the spring
This sounds like an authentic classic. The imagery is wonderful. Excellent work, sir!
Nice! Good writing and I like your vocal too. Well done!
Posted By: rayc Re: Saint Brigid's Day (Hurry Home Róisín) - 01/30/22 07:01 PM
It's a very sweet song, loaded with Irishness and longing.
The vocal is nice but seems dislocated from the backing - the different rooms problem.
Excellent lyric , melody & band.
jptjptjpt,

This is such a pretty song! Love the mandolin choice...it's just right for this one!

Not using drums/percussion in this makes this a more intimate sounding song!

I think you did an excellent job on it!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Scott C Re: Saint Brigid's Day (Hurry Home Róisín) - 01/30/22 11:42 PM
I just love Irish music. I was listening to a group of teens doing Adele's music in Gaelic the other day. Lots of history and traditions to inspire such beautiful songs. Super vocal and lyric.
Sean,

A good write - intimate and "honest".

Nice track choices. Vocal is well done.

Keep 'em coming...

fj
Posted By: bluage Re: Saint Brigid's Day (Hurry Home Róisín) - 01/31/22 03:22 PM
Dear 'jptjptjpt'...

This song production of your's, 'Saint Brigid's Day (Hurry Home Róisín)', is as lovely to listen to with your ears as a fine spring morning is to observe with the eyes. The delicate performances of the Real Track instrumentalists made me feel as though they had beheld a vision of young Miss Róisín that was as enchanted as your own. A sense of a kind of love that is innocent and pure rises out of your lyrics like a mist. The details you provided about the uniquely Irish conception of the story lends an air of cultural authenticity to the production that makes it feel and sound like the 'classic' song that 'Tunemonger' described in his comments.

It's a finely-felty musical creation and performance, sir! I hope it finds an audience outside of the User's Forum.

Very well done!

moto
Thank you so much for the listens and comments.

I was going for the authentic feeling, like it was an old standard. I'm glad that came through.
Hello Sean
Very good mix
Your background track is very well suited by its few instruments
to put your great vocals in the foreground
Really well done Sean
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Very good minimalistic track... I do love a simple love song.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Saint Brigid's Day (Hurry Home Róisín) - 02/03/22 01:17 AM
You hit the mark for "authentic" and "old standard".

The simple arrangement and plaintive singing work really well, along with the light plinky instrumentation.
jptjptjpt,
(Trying to pronounce it...is it a spell of some kind?)

Nice romantic tune. Clean, straight forward arrangement and very good vocals. I do believe you can make it (vocals) sit better in the mix. A little brighter, maybe adjusting EQ higher frequencies to make it stand out more and for clarity. I am just speaking from my mind, but there are people here who have much better ears and would know what to do better. In any case, this is well shaped and perfomed song. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Thank you everyone for the listen and comments. I appreciate it.

Tips and suggestions well received. Thanks.

jptjptjpt are initials repeated three times.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Saint Brigid's Day (Hurry Home Róisín) - 02/04/22 12:15 PM
Nice and sweet song.
Always nice to learn something about Ireland, having Irish roots (Anne-Marie)

Rob and Anne-Marie
What a lovely song and a rich vocal! While listening first to the song I (Janice) was saying, "go home, Rosheen!" and then when we watched the video I was delighted to see that she did go home. smile

Your band is excellent and the mix is equally so. We both liked the somewhat Victorian feel of the lyric.

Well done,

J&B
Thank you so much for the listens and reviews. I appreciate it very much.
Lovely and gentle song. Good lyrics. I like your production choice of instrumentation. I agree the vocal needs to be more present.
This is such a pretty song! Love the mandolin choice...it's just right for this one!

turkey property
property for sale in turkey
Such a beautiful melody and so well sung, jptjptjpt. Guitar and mandolin --simply perfect for this song. Really like the whole thing.
© PG Music Forums