PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane That Laugh - 02/22/22 06:26 PM
My last post was "a very old one".
This is just the opposite... a "very new one".
Most of what I am listening to these days runs along these lines.
(Contemporary Pop Country might cover it as labels go)

BIAB parts:
RealTracks in song: 3580:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PalmMuteRockPushFast Ev 130
RealDrums [in style:CajonFolkSlow8ths: a: Cajon b: Cajon, Shaker
RealTracks in song: 3726:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopIndiePhaserBrent Ev 085
Other parts:
I created the main acoustic guitar using AmpleSound Martin Lite (free vst)
I created a high sting part using Studio One Presence (Viola Legato preset)
I created an piano/keys track using the EZKeys Cinematic Grand (Drama Plate preset)
I played the bass part (on keyboard) using the Kontact instrument "Twenty Five" (Baby Ate preset)
"Clap" track (drum) from Kontakt Player Factory Slection - Urban Beats - Coral
2 percussion loops from the Presonus Studio One libraries

THAT LAUGH

i can't forget
the night we met
from that very first dance
we just fit
she smelled of citrus
and sandlewood
in levis and luccheses
damn, the girl, looked good
but the thing that roped me in
like nothing else

that laugh
   enchanted me
   rocked my world
   knock me off my feet
   that laugh
   on endless repeat
   in my head in my heart
   pure magic
   that laugh

i can't say
what went wrong
but the music stopped
before the end of our song
she didn't care
i beg her not to go
she just gave me a shrug
and a look gone cold
the thing that hurt the most
like nothing else

that laugh
   cut so deep
   rocked my world
   knock me off my feet
   that laugh
   on endless repeat
   in my head in my heart
   killing me
   that laugh

If nothing else, I hope you find it interesting and somewhat "fresh".
Comments of any kind are welcome.

fj
Posted By: David Snyder Re: That Laugh - 02/22/22 07:37 PM
Hey man,

I had to hop in here first this time!

This is great. Really modern. Down pat. Very 2022, or 2023. smile

LOVE the idea of the laugh. SO universal. That's what ropes all of us in man, for sure!!

smile

Really, really, really good. Keep 'em coming.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: That Laugh - 02/22/22 08:05 PM
Yeah, I loved this one too... I think you hit a nerve... I love the way "That Laugh", the thing you were most attracted to, transformed into the thing that hurt the worst... Very clever, and cool tune...
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That Laugh - 02/22/22 09:23 PM
Good song. Loved the lyrics. Was it modern contemporary? I don't know. Define contemporary.
I liked it if that makes a difference.
Posted By: rayc Re: That Laugh - 02/22/22 10:37 PM
An excellent reversal in the choruses...the thing that makes & breaks.
The vocal may be a little hot in spots in the 1st verse n chorus.
An excellent blend of modern & trad elements to carry a lovely vocal melody and another super yet sad narrative.
Love it!
Posted By: dcuny Re: That Laugh - 02/22/22 11:15 PM
Very appealing! It must be country, because it's got the ironic reversal.

Everything about this - the sparse arrangement, the instrumentation, the repeated guitar part, the (relatively) dry guitar lead - says contemporary... I guess, because I've been out of the "contemporary" loop for some time now.

I really like the little things in the mix, like the "ticks" bopping around in the stereo field. The echoes on "laugh".

Nice builds and change on instrumentation throughout the song.

The lyrics clip along - you're together at the end of the first verse, and by the start of the second verse it's turned around and gone.

That's OK, because it's all about the chorus anyway.

A subtle but effective earworm - just enough of a hook to be a hook. laugh
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: That Laugh - 02/23/22 01:39 AM
More genius from Floyd.

I really like the simple start and the gradual build.

The "Clap" track is really neat, unexpected but perfectly introduced.

Fantastic.
Posted By: PeterF Re: That Laugh - 02/24/22 03:36 AM
floyd

Impressive work.

Loved all the little touches, and how you integrate them all so well.

Lovely vocal, lyric and overall production.

Peter
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: That Laugh - 02/24/22 10:20 AM
New/old still brings out the same smile here, Floyd. You always have such great ideas to write about --that's often the hardest part. Your IDEA is the first hook, then your talent brings out so many other parts of the song that keeps the listener glued, even mesmerized. All of your songs also have that ineffable touch of magic. Maybe it's your voice, maybe the chord structure or melody, but likely all of it. Each one of your songs also has some intricate stuff that the listener can almost hear new stuff on each listen.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 02/25/22 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Hey man,

I had to hop in here first this time!

This is great. Really modern. Down pat. Very 2022, or 2023. smile

LOVE the idea of the laugh. SO universal. That's what ropes all of us in man, for sure!!

smile

Really, really, really good. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks, David!!!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: That Laugh - 02/26/22 07:44 AM
Good one as per usual, floyd, loved the twist in the lyric with the laugh, and how you handled that in the production when things went sour.

Favorite line: "I can't say what went wrong, but the music stopped before the end of our song"

Needed to google "luccheses" wink
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 02/26/22 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Yeah, I loved this one too... I think you hit a nerve... I love the way "That Laugh", the thing you were most attracted to, transformed into the thing that hurt the worst... Very clever, and cool tune...

bloc-head - thanks for having a listen... appreciated...
Posted By: RnAM Re: That Laugh - 02/26/22 05:42 PM
Hi Floyd,

Definitely different from a lot of other songs you've posted on the forum.
And an awesome difference.
You sing it in a very sensitive way, particularly the chorus.
Beautiful!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: That Laugh - 02/26/22 06:56 PM
The reversal of his perception of the laugh from the beginning to the end of the song is outstanding.
Clever and thought provoking.

Your vocals, the acoustic guitar, the string part, the keys and bass ... what to say?
"They all sound stellar" will work!

Those, we'll call them kettle drums, are remarkable especially on our new monitors.

With your multiple performances and BiaB you put together a heckuva room filling but open mix.

Whatever the genre moniker we most enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: That Laugh - 02/26/22 08:44 PM
Less is more but you got the most out of less here.

As usual outstanding mix, vocal, and lyrics.

I wish I had a tenth of your talent.

Loved it
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 02/27/22 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Good song. Loved the lyrics. Was it modern contemporary? I don't know. Define contemporary.

Thanks for listening, Herb. Not sure how to answer your question - are you suggesting that this is NOT contemporary? If so, I think you need to tell me what your definition of contemporary is...
Posted By: Scott C Re: That Laugh - 02/27/22 09:32 PM
Loved the rhythm track on this. Cool percussion. Lyrics were excellent and always super vocal. Well done Floyd.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: That Laugh - 02/28/22 02:18 AM
Well written song. You tell stories. I like the minimal instrumentation on this one. Great mix. Yes, this is very good. Nice job.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 03/01/22 06:07 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
An excellent reversal in the choruses...the thing that makes & breaks.
The vocal may be a little hot in spots in the 1st verse n chorus.
An excellent blend of modern & trad elements to carry a lovely vocal melody and another super yet sad narrative.
Love it!

Thanks, ray...as always... I listened on several different sources (monitors, media speakers, earbuds, car) and don;t get the sense of where the hot spots might be (meaning I don't "hear them"). I did process the vocal on this differently that usual - a whole line of compressors and several other plugins (within Nectar) to get more of a "squashed" sound that I hear in this style of music. So that may have caused what you are hearing (just a guess, though since I am not hearing it).

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Very appealing! It must be country, because it's got the ironic reversal.

Everything about this - the sparse arrangement, the instrumentation, the repeated guitar part, the (relatively) dry guitar lead - says contemporary... I guess, because I've been out of the "contemporary" loop for some time now.

I really like the little things in the mix, like the "ticks" bopping around in the stereo field. The echoes on "laugh".

Nice builds and change on instrumentation throughout the song.

The lyrics clip along - you're together at the end of the first verse, and by the start of the second verse it's turned around and gone.

That's OK, because it's all about the chorus anyway.

A subtle but effective earworm - just enough of a hook to be a hook. laugh

Thanks, David. It's nice to know you've caught "a lot of the little things" that went into to this production...
I understand that it might seem like a quick transition from the good parts to the bad parts (of the relationship). But, it is a telling after-the-fact (as opposed to an as-it-happens narrative). But...I "get" that wow-that-happened-fast sentiment.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 03/02/22 09:04 AM
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
More genius from Floyd.

I really like the simple start and the gradual build.

The "Clap" track is really neat, unexpected but perfectly introduced.

Fantastic.

Thanks, Trev. Always good to see you prowling the Showcase smile (would love to hear another song posting from you!!!)
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: That Laugh - 03/02/22 01:17 PM
Floyd, you did a super job using the various tools from Toontrack, Presonus and Native instruments! That took a lot of attention and patience to get all of that in place! The song is another great example of your writing and performance skills! It's a wonderful tune that should garner a lot of plays! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: That Laugh - 03/02/22 01:35 PM
Oh my what a song, the mix was fantastic. and the vocals superb. I could hear this one on the radio!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 03/03/22 10:24 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Impressive work.

Loved all the little touches, and how you integrate them all so well.

Lovely vocal, lyric and overall production.

Peter

Thanks, Peter....
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: That Laugh - 03/03/22 03:19 PM
Hello Floyd
Very good song
Very modern played
With a great sound and nice guitar solo
Fits really well to you
I liked it very much
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: That Laugh - 03/03/22 09:25 PM
I've always liked your lyrics. These are one of your tops.

I like that acoustic guitar. It works so well with this.
Posted By: edshaw Re: That Laugh - 03/03/22 10:24 PM
You sure have a way with it, Floyd. Another fine listen.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 03/05/22 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
New/old still brings out the same smile here, Floyd. You always have such great ideas to write about --that's often the hardest part. Your IDEA is the first hook, then your talent brings out so many other parts of the song that keeps the listener glued, even mesmerized. All of your songs also have that ineffable touch of magic. Maybe it's your voice, maybe the chord structure or melody, but likely all of it. Each one of your songs also has some intricate stuff that the listener can almost hear new stuff on each listen.

Marty - thanks for the great review! You say the nicest things!! smile smile smile

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Good one as per usual, floyd, loved the twist in the lyric with the laugh, and how you handled that in the production when things went sour.

Favorite line: "I can't say what went wrong, but the music stopped before the end of our song"

Needed to google "luccheses" wink

Thanks, Dave!! (glad we could get you a bit more educated about boots!! smile wink ...they come with a hefty price tag....)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 03/05/22 08:05 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Floyd,

Definitely different from a lot of other songs you've posted on the forum.
And an awesome difference.
You sing it in a very sensitive way, particularly the chorus.
Beautiful!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks, y'all...appreciated...
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: That Laugh - 03/06/22 08:58 AM
Floyd, you're able to keep things "fresh" effortlessly while still giving us "classic" and the comfort of another Floyd Jane song. Great production and performance.

Charlie
Posted By: Birchwood Re: That Laugh - 03/06/22 09:09 AM
Hello Floyd,

I enjoyed this song for a lot of reasons;
The clever lyrics
The nice composition
The brilliant mix
and whatever it did to my mood.

Well, these are a lot of things to tell you I have (again) enjoyed a song of yours!

Hans
Posted By: Derochette Re: That Laugh - 03/07/22 07:00 AM
Hi floyd jane,

It's a very pretty melody that you offer us. The arrangement is very well done. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Leon1 Re: That Laugh - 03/07/22 10:50 PM
Old or new, it always sounds like you, Floyd; well written lyrics, excellent vocal and pro mix. (I also had to google luccheses. Those're some good looking boots.)
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 03/08/22 03:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
The reversal of his perception of the laugh from the beginning to the end of the song is outstanding.
Clever and thought provoking.

Your vocals, the acoustic guitar, the string part, the keys and bass ... what to say?
"They all sound stellar" will work!

Those, we'll call them kettle drums, are remarkable especially on our new monitors.

With your multiple performances and BiaB you put together a heckuva room filling but open mix.

Whatever the genre moniker we most enjoyed it!

J&B

Thanks for mention the write, the vocal, the guitar part, the keys and bass!! And mix...
I'll want to hear those "keetle drums" on your monitors next time we are in GA....

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Less is more but you got the most out of less here.

As usual outstanding mix, vocal, and lyrics.

I wish I had a tenth of your talent.

Loved it

Thanks, Mario....

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved the rhythm track on this. Cool percussion. Lyrics were excellent and always super vocal. Well done Floyd.

Thanks, Scott...

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Well written song. You tell stories. I like the minimal instrumentation on this one. Great mix. Yes, this is very good. Nice job.

Thanks, Sean...
Posted By: jannesan Re: That Laugh - 03/08/22 04:09 PM
Yes, sounds fresh, the low drum has nice sound and the acoustic guitar works well with it.
very romantic descriptions, like "she smelled of citrus and sandlewood"
I like how the second verses changes completely the mood of the chorus and how your voice also reflects that change.
For some reason, this song made me want to listen to Michelle Branch...

Janne
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 03/09/22 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd, you did a super job using the various tools from Toontrack, Presonus and Native instruments! That took a lot of attention and patience to get all of that in place! The song is another great example of your writing and performance skills! It's a wonderful tune that should garner a lot of plays! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey - thanks!! I appreciate that you mention the gathering-of-sources - You do pro-level work using a wide variety of "tools"...

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
Oh my what a song, the mix was fantastic. and the vocals superb. I could hear this one on the radio!!

Ronnie - thanks for stopping in for a listen....

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Floyd
Very good song
Very modern played
With a great sound and nice guitar solo
Fits really well to you
I liked it very much
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi!!!

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I've always liked your lyrics. These are one of your tops.

I like that acoustic guitar. It works so well with this.

Nice of you to say, Scott. It's funny...I would rate this quite low on my scale of "well written lyrics"... just goes to show, you never know...

Originally Posted By: edshaw
You sure have a way with it, Floyd. Another fine listen.

Nice to have you stop by, ed....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 03/10/22 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Floyd, you're able to keep things "fresh" effortlessly while still giving us "classic" and the comfort of another Floyd Jane song. Great production and performance.

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. Always like having you drop in...

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hello Floyd,

I enjoyed this song for a lot of reasons;
The clever lyrics
The nice composition
The brilliant mix
and whatever it did to my mood.

Well, these are a lot of things to tell you I have (again) enjoyed a song of yours!

Hans

Much appreciated, Hans...

Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi floyd jane,

It's a very pretty melody that you offer us. The arrangement is very well done. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks, Derochette.

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Old or new, it always sounds like you, Floyd; well written lyrics, excellent vocal and pro mix. (I also had to google luccheses. Those're some good looking boots.)
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon....appreciate it...

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Yes, sounds fresh, the low drum has nice sound and the acoustic guitar works well with it.
very romantic descriptions, like "she smelled of citrus and sandlewood"
I like how the second verses changes completely the mood of the chorus and how your voice also reflects that change.
For some reason, this song made me want to listen to Michelle Branch...

Janne

Thanks for having a listen, Janne... I'll have to check out Michelle...
Posted By: musician17 Re: That Laugh - 03/11/22 04:14 AM
You're so blooming versatile. I don't know about modern or otherwise, but your delivery of the song is what struck me, first of all. You're a musician and a half. The writing is your usual stellar standard, no matter what style you write in, that's a given. But here it really sounds like you're "taking a risk" with the delivery, and it pays off. Sorry I'm late to the party in commenting, but boy was it worth the listen. Bravo.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: That Laugh - 03/11/22 02:25 PM
FJ,
You continue to hit them out of the park.
Interesting selection of tools building this one, It all works wonderfully.

Great write and as always, super vocal performance.

Loved it.
moto
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That Laugh - 03/11/22 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Thanks for listening, Herb. Not sure how to answer your question - are you suggesting that this is NOT contemporary? If so, I think you need to tell me what your definition of contemporary is...

I honestly don't know...I liked it. Isn't that what matters no matter what it's labeled as.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That Laugh - 03/11/22 04:05 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
You're so blooming versatile. I don't know about modern or otherwise, but your delivery of the song is what struck me, first of all. You're a musician and a half. The writing is your usual stellar standard, no matter what style you write in, that's a given. But here it really sounds like you're "taking a risk" with the delivery, and it pays off. Sorry I'm late to the party in commenting, but boy was it worth the listen. Bravo.

James - thanks for having a listen and for the nice comments...

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
FJ,
You continue to hit them out of the park.
Interesting selection of tools building this one, It all works wonderfully.

Great write and as always, super vocal performance.

Loved it.
moto

Appreciate that, moto...

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

I honestly don't know...I liked it. Isn't that what matters no matter what it's labeled as.

Thanks, Herb.
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: That Laugh - 03/12/22 04:27 PM
Hey Floyd,

As per your normal... This is some great work. I would echo what DCuny said. I really like how the acoustic sounds (did you play that?), your vocal, the claps, the production.
Jeez I can't find anything I don't like! grin

You're a talent man! Excellent job!

Greg

I've been working on something, so I hope to have a new song posted pretty soon.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That Laugh - 03/14/22 12:00 AM
Hi floyd.

This is fantastic listening.

Everything about it fits perfectly.

I love the "less is more" approach.

I also loved how it only took a couple of words to change the whole meaning of the chorus.

That trigger line that leads into the chorus, "like nothing else," is really clever writing. So simple but so, so effective.

You are "talent" with a capital "T" smile

All the best,
Noel
© PG Music Forums