PG Music Home
Posted By: Mark Hayes In Hell, You'll Remember Things b/w ABC - 03/13/22 03:32 AM
Pre-Spring Special: Listen to one, listen to another in half the time!

===============

In Hell, You'll Remember Things

A musical TV dinner pulled from the back of the freezer, microwaved with BIAB and topped in Logic with an important message. This was (believe it or not) an exercise in (whole tone?) melodic composition, and an object lesson to show that flatted 5ths want to go to 5ths and 5ths just want to go home. Guest vocal by Marjoe Gortner.

This is harsh matter. If it helps, maybe imagine it as a TV show theme.

Yes, there is some serious Frank Zappa fanboi-ing going on here, even as I write these words.

Form: PASSACAGLIA
Style is _THRASH1.STY (ha ha)
Normalness rating: LOW
Playing time: 2:54 OR BEST OFFER

RealTrack: ~387:Bass, Electric, Metal Ev 085
RealTrack: ~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTrack: 639:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockThrash Ev 085
RealTrack: 642:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockThrashHollow Ev 085
RealDrums: RockThrashHalfTimeEv16^1-a:Snare, Bell Ride , b:Snare, Crash Ride

=============== FREE BONUS TRACK! ===============

ABC

A groovy little number named after its only three notes, which I played on electric guitar. It has some cool electricity and a dandy BIAB sax solo, and is only a minute and a half. I like it as is and don’t want to put more into it, so this is another one for my imaginary TV show theme collection.

RealTrack: 2014:Sax, Alto, Soloist CountryTrainMark Ev16 130
Normalness rating: HIGH
Posted By: dcuny Re: In Hell, You'll Remember Things b/w ABC - 03/13/22 05:30 AM
Interesting - I wasn't familiar with Marjoe Gortner. At first I thought the name might have been some anagram you dreamed up, but it turned out to be a portmanteau.

It think the "HIGH" normalness rating might be a bit off. wink
Posted By: BLONG Re: In Hell, You'll Remember Things b/w ABC - 03/13/22 09:55 AM
Anyone whose song evokes Zappa is #1 in my book. 5:55 into "Son of Mr. Green Genes" is the most important music ever played. (Ask Harry Callahan about Marjoe Gortner.)
Brilliant...
where did you find Jean-Luc Ponty & George Duke?
Originally Posted By: dcuny
It think the "HIGH" normalness rating might be a bit off. wink

Oh, but this one got a "LOW"! Sorry for any confusion, I'll work on the warnlng label format.

Originally Posted By: BLONG
Anyone whose song evokes Zappa is #1 in my book. 5:55 into "Son of Mr. Green Genes" is the most important music ever played. (Ask Harry Callahan about Marjoe Gortner.)

Just listened and of course it was a way familiar moment. Zappa was not shy about his wah-wah, and he squeezed his guitar notes through it like a juicer. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Brilliant... where did you find Jean-Luc Ponty & George Duke?

Hey hey, thanks. Don't know about Duke, but that particular violin (EastWest's "Gypsy" instrument) does have a nice, Pontyish tone to my ear, so I use it in practically everything I do. I guess I'm a "Luc"-y guy! =8^)
Posted By: rayc Re: In Hell, You'll Remember Things b/w ABC - 03/13/22 07:56 PM
Hell IS remembering things.
ABC makes a cool ending for it too.
Two walks along alternates paths looking at vistas anew.
Cool fun.
Yes, Frank Zappa meets The Beatles (ala' "Revolution 9").

Interesting.
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Yes, Frank Zappa meets The Beatles (ala' "Revolution 9").

Good God, man, if you're serious my life is complete.

I did something with Revolution 9 here a while ago:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=676531
Posted By: Scott C Re: In Hell, You'll Remember Things b/w ABC - 03/17/22 12:25 PM
Very cool song. I remember Marjoe Gortner from TV shows in the 70's. Definitely got the Frank Zappa vibe. Well done
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool song. I remember Marjoe Gortner from TV shows in the 70's. Definitely got the Frank Zappa vibe. Well done

Thank you, I much appreciate it!
Yes, the tension in a flatted 5th finds temporary rest with the 5th, but then needs to find home. Oh, yeah, Zappa. This TV show is hosted by Frank, and I thought I heard him playing the bicycle in there. In Hell You'll Remember Things. Ha, and then say, "Yes, I would've sent me here too." This was fun, Mark, and it took my right into your Church Organ. Nice.
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
This was fun, Mark, and it took my right into your Church Organ.

Hey, I just listened to that sequence myself and it was nice, and intense... heaven and hell!

Thanks for hearing and speaking.
© PG Music Forums