PG Music Home
Posted By: Robertkc Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/23/22 06:51 PM
Brotherland

A song recorded solo a few years back which I thought fell a little short on intensity.This version, with Scott adding great guitar,and leading the production, sounds closer to the feeling I had for the write, and rerecording it got me into the "brothers" space again for a new song; there`s more to discover in Brotherland.
(the original song recording I had to remove from my SC page as its chock full-the account upgrade cost is too much for me!)

RT701 Bass
RDrums Driving Pop 8ths
RT 3182 AC Gtr
RT 3181 Ac Gtr
RT3267 Cello
RT833 El. Gtr

Brotherland

we grew up north of happy
across the river from getting by
born under a bad sign
the song he played after school

you better stay on planet Star Wars
my brother winked blazing that J
this world`s done he`d say
tell you what we`ll do

we`ll make another country
we`ll do things different there
in brotherland
we can`t fly
they`ll never know never know
we walk
walk an inch above the ground

we ran under the radar
he said proud nails get hammered down
the first kids on the moon
they`ll never find our base

I wonder if he even knows
he was half the air in my world
between the bottle and his girl
we built our escape

we made another country
we do things different there
in brotherland
we can`t fly
they`ll never know never know
we walk
walk an inch above the ground

© Robert Cordrey Nov.2019
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/23/22 09:23 PM
nice rt choices.

v nice lyrics and wow loved the sonic character of lead gtr..includeing 'wah'. superb session pro playing.

maybe in the song beginning bring up the lead vocs a tad. ??

lovely fade. this song really held my attention.

nice emotion in song vocs.

well well done.

happiness.

om
Posted By: dcuny Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/24/22 01:54 AM
Nice job with the lyrics - evocative and poetic, but clear.

It all works for me. smile
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/24/22 12:19 PM
Went back to the old version from 2019 for comparison but it's gone. This was one of the first songs I heard from you and it was a real eye-opener for me because I'd never heard anyone be so poetic in a musical context. Still amazed at how you pull it off. This song has several great lines in it and a perfect musical backing. Solo fits so well. Vocal great as well. Everything just fits, well done.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/24/22 12:19 PM

This sounds great!

Whatever you added must have done the trick.

You are a really good songwriter. I love this lyrics. Excellent instrumentation, and Scott is sounding good!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/24/22 12:57 PM
I like it, especially the lyrics and the guitar work. And great harmonies!

I'd add another harmonized "walk an inch above the ground" at the end
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/24/22 02:46 PM
Spirit Level strikes again!

COOL song. Good production. Good vocals.
Nice guitar work from Scott.
Mix is good.
Such interesting lyrics!

An excellent listen.

Well done.

fj
Posted By: Derochette Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/24/22 03:56 PM
Hi Robertkc,

Pretty composition very soft as I like them. The guitar solo is very well done. I apprecied.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/24/22 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
nice rt choices.

v nice lyrics and wow loved the sonic character of lead gtr..includeing 'wah'. superb session pro playing.

maybe in the song beginning bring up the lead vocs a tad. ??

lovely fade. this song really held my attention.

nice emotion in song vocs.

well well done.

happiness.

om

Thanks for that-I agree Scott`s playing & that wah solo is great!
My hearing was compromised during the mix so this is Scott`s take- vocal levels sound good to me on`phones though.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice job with the lyrics - evocative and poetic, but clear.

It all works for me. smile

Thank you,David!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Went back to the old version from 2019 for comparison but it's gone. This was one of the first songs I heard from you and it was a real eye-opener for me because I'd never heard anyone be so poetic in a musical context. Still amazed at how you pull it off. This song has several great lines in it and a perfect musical backing. Solo fits so well. Vocal great as well. Everything just fits, well done.

TuneMonger,
Sorry about the missing original- I left a note in the intro for anyone else curious about it.
This version is slowed down a little with a couple of major to minor chord changes.
I really appreciate your very kind comments on the Spirit Level rework of the song.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This sounds great!

Whatever you added must have done the trick.

You are a really good songwriter. I love this lyrics. Excellent instrumentation, and Scott is sounding good!

David,
I just added a few years of missing my bro` and big servings of Scott!
Thanks for listening and commenting.

Robert
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/24/22 07:08 PM
Robert,

I think one of my favorite set of lyrics from you—and maybe top song as well. Those opening two lines are excellent, as does all that follows. Like how the chorus kicks in—wonderful melody and harmony, sweet arrangement. Scott’s guitar aces as always. Outstanding collaboration!

My best to you both.

Deej
Posted By: Scott C Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/25/22 11:20 PM
Was really surprised and elated when Robert sent this piece to me. For me this song had a natural melody that just came to me in the first few minutes of listening to it. It felt like I had been playing it in my rotation for the last 10 years..

Thanks for all the awesome comments.

There was so much cool stuff going on in the Real tracks that I tried to make sure the instruments all had their own space aka Floyd, Bud and Jani's productions..
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/26/22 10:53 AM
Cool story, Robert. Your lyrics are always so staggeringly awesome. It's really cool how you create mental images with words. Man, that harmony really grabs ya. Really cool what Scott said about hearing this and instantly hearing the melody. Man, Scott it sounds so good. Excellent wah effect.

Yeah, I go that last-in-first-out routine to make way for new stuff on SC, too.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/26/22 12:06 PM
Robert / Scott,

This is an outstanding song. Love the story and production. Awesome vocal and some great guitar lines.

You guys always catch the right vibe...

Bob
Posted By: firesong Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/26/22 01:14 PM
Robert...super song...it has a Neil Young vibe to me...Scott is superb, as usual....your vocals are haunting as you deliver great lyrics...another great production!
Posted By: musician17 Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/27/22 03:02 AM
Your usual top-notch level, with your signature sensitivity to the nth degree. Your writing (both music and lyrics) always leaves me speechless and your delivery is exactly what's needed, in my humble opinion. This is a pro production, without the "technical shine to the nth degree" that some "pro productions" have, and that I feel detracts so much from them. Congratulations to you both.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/27/22 11:34 AM
Robert,
I didn't hear the original but I like this.
Evocative lyrics and great guitar work.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/27/22 11:52 AM
We didn't hear the first version, but we like this one for sure!
Great lyrics and music.
Good vocals.
Great job!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/27/22 05:17 PM
Scott’s performance and production truly suit the lyric, Robert and y’all were really “cooking!” Great mix too, Scott!

Love the wah guitar, Scott, and the emotions come through clearly in your vocal, Robert.

“we made another country
we do things different there
in brotherland”

This section reminded me (Janice) of how my little sister and I spent hours and hours in our imaginary world when we were growing up. smile

We look forward to those additional brotherland songs!

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/27/22 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I like it, especially the lyrics and the guitar work. And great harmonies!

I'd add another harmonized "walk an inch above the ground" at the end

B.D.

Thanks for your listen,likes and the good suggestion.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Spirit Level strikes again!

COOL song. Good production. Good vocals.
Nice guitar work from Scott.
Mix is good.
Such interesting lyrics!

An excellent listen.

Well done.

fj

Floyd,
We are happy you listen and support the Spirit Levellers with great comments!

Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Robertkc,

Pretty composition very soft as I like them. The guitar solo is very well done. I apprecied.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Derochette,
Thankyou for listening!

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Robert,

I think one of my favorite set of lyrics from you—and maybe top song as well. Those opening two lines are excellent, as does all that follows. Like how the chorus kicks in—wonderful melody and harmony, sweet arrangement. Scott’s guitar aces as always. Outstanding collaboration!

My best to you both.

Deej

That`s very kind,Deej : Thank You!

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Cool story, Robert. Your lyrics are always so staggeringly awesome. It's really cool how you create mental images with words. Man, that harmony really grabs ya. Really cool what Scott said about hearing this and instantly hearing the melody. Man, Scott it sounds so good. Excellent wah effect.

Yeah, I go that last-in-first-out routine to make way for new stuff on SC, too.

Marty,
I appreciate that and for me, Scott`s solo alone confirms the redo of this song was a good call.
Thankyou for your support!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert / Scott,

This is an outstanding song. Love the story and production. Awesome vocal and some great guitar lines.

You guys always catch the right vibe...

Bob

Thanks, Bob!

Originally Posted By: firesong
Robert...super song...it has a Neil Young vibe to me...Scott is superb, as usual....your vocals are haunting as you deliver great lyrics...another great production!

Firesong,
I think I was trying for more of a Springsteen style ballad, but appreciate the NY reference and your kind comments.

Robert
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/27/22 09:08 PM
Excellent guitar opening that sets up what follows.

You are on my list of the five top lyricists on this forum

Love the wah wah solo. Magnificent!

The chorus sticks in my ears. Nice.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/27/22 09:27 PM
Clever, cool guitar and sweet song about brothers.
Nice mix sounds really good on my JBLs. Reminds me of N. Young.
Much enjoyed.

Josie
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/28/22 03:44 AM
Robert,

Your charm as a singer-songwriter was pushed to the fore, and I was impressed.
Scott's guitar supports the song very effectively.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/30/22 08:10 PM
Love the vibe of this one!!! Glad to see you back Robert....did not see anything the last few times I was on. Love the Spirit Level sound!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: mark wilson Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 09/30/22 08:18 PM
Cool soundscape! I really dig it. Evokes the same feeling as listening to Neal Young. The wah was a sweet touch. Nicely done
-Mark
Posted By: Al-David Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 10/01/22 05:57 AM
Hi Robert & Scott ...

Such a cool song in all respects. Scott's guitar couldn't have been better. I think he has magic fingers!

Robert, the lyric and your layered vocals just shine! And what a story you tell in your lyric. Man, this was just so dang good!!!

My older brother, Ronnie, and I were very close growing up. He was the best big brother a kid could want. He never treated me as the little tag-along brat. He took care of me and made me proud. He died two years ago this past July. He'd just turned 76 2 weeks before his death, I'll be 76 this coming March. I really miss him. This song brought back many of those good memories. My eyes teared as my mouth smiled. I appreciate what this song did for me emotionally tonight. Thank you - both of you.

It's one of my very favorite songs I've listened to on the board in recent months. Thanks again.

Alan
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 10/01/22 02:17 PM
James: I`m glad you liked the feel of this song and thought we got the production right:thank you!

BassThumper: Thank you for listening.

RNAM: Thanks for listening and commenting.

J&B: Although I have a sister too, unfortunately I don`t know if Sisterland is the same as Brotherland. Janice`s comment makes me happy I connected with something close.
Many thanks for your kind comments!

Ezekial`s Storm: I agree with your thumbs up on Scott`s solo...and very happy you enjoyed the lyrics.

Josie: Thank you for your listen and positive comments.

Robert
Posted By: Scott C Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 10/02/22 01:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the awesome comments and for taking the time to check out the song. Really appreciate it... So glad you liked the song....
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Brotherland ( Spirit Level) - 10/07/22 11:21 PM
Robert and Scott,

I love the laid-back feel of this one! Kind of a Neil Young vibe going on! Clever lyrics as always and I like what Scott did with the guitar stuff...cool sounds! Great work guys!

Thanks, Torrey
© PG Music Forums