PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper Prepared For The Season - Remix - 11/02/22 11:05 AM
I recently took a short course at the “Hans Birchwood Academy of Song Writing” smile where it was pointed out that my song structure could be improved.

The original song structure was AABABACA
A: Vamp on F
B: Chorus
C: Vamp on D

The problem was the ACA at the end had very little movement or dynamics and was overly predictable. Here is that posting
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=735874#Post735874

Mario also pointed out that this song could use more flute.

So I did a remix. The overall structure is still the same but the new C part (which begins at 1:56) now breaks up the predictability and has its own chord progression featuring a stronger flute part. Hopefully this fixes at least one of the shortcomings of the original.

Thanks go to Mario and “Professor Hans and his academy” for the constructive feedback.

Prepared For The Season - Remix
Posted By: Mora La Loba Re: Prepared For The Season - Remix - 11/02/22 04:11 PM
The mix sounds good to me, maybe the guitar arpeggios have too much reverb? they get lost a bit in the general sound... I think that removing a bit of reverb would make it more integrated into the set, otherwise everything works fine. Well there is an instrument that you put on the left with some chords, it could be a little more towards the center... Don't get mad at me.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Prepared For The Season - Remix - 11/03/22 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Mora La Loba
The mix sounds good to me, maybe the guitar arpeggios have too much reverb? they get lost a bit in the general sound... I think that removing a bit of reverb would make it more integrated into the set, otherwise everything works fine. Well there is an instrument that you put on the left with some chords, it could be a little more towards the center... Don't get mad at me.

Mad? Me? Nope.
To the contrary, thanks for the feedback and welcome to the forum.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Prepared For The Season - Remix - 11/03/22 11:39 AM
Getting better.

FWIW - From around the 2 minute mark on the song is great. There is a melody (flute) and super backing tracks. But the first two minutes of the song is, IMHO, just a very long intro. I was loosing interest until the flute came in and from that point on it sounded like a song. Remember that this is just my opinion and others may not agree.

I did find the mix very good.

You are learning very quickly.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Prepared For The Season - Remix - 11/03/22 03:29 PM
Best part about this is the Bass.
The flute is a nice addition.
The tremolo guitar seems louder now? Personally, I did not care for the sound of it. Opinion, of course.
I applaud your continued efforts...

fj
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Prepared For The Season - Remix - 11/04/22 11:25 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Getting better.

FWIW - From around the 2 minute mark on the song is great. There is a melody (flute) and super backing tracks. But the first two minutes of the song is, IMHO, just a very long intro. I was loosing interest until the flute came in and from that point on it sounded like a song. Remember that this is just my opinion and others may not agree.

I did find the mix very good.

You are learning very quickly.

Sorry you lost interest at the beginning, it's called a vamp, I like vamps.
I'm not going to do a 2nd remix.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Prepared For The Season - Remix - 11/04/22 11:27 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Best part about this is the Bass.
The flute is a nice addition.
The tremolo guitar seems louder now? Personally, I did not care for the sound of it. Opinion, of course.
I applaud your continued efforts...

fj

Thanks fj.
Yep, sometimes I like to make it about the bass.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Prepared For The Season - Remix - 11/05/22 11:03 PM
Cool tune BT. This mix is pretty cool. I use Ozone Tonal Balance to try and dial in the different frequencies. This will help balance the different instruments you use as well. BIAB is a great tool for jamming and honing the skills.

The drums were excellent.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Prepared For The Season - Remix - 11/06/22 01:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool tune BT. This mix is pretty cool. I use Ozone Tonal Balance to try and dial in the different frequencies. This will help balance the different instruments you use as well. BIAB is a great tool for jamming and honing the skills.

The drums were excellent.

Thanks Scott,
Yeah, others have commented on the drums. I liked them the first time I heard them myself; big and upfront.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Prepared For The Season - Remix - 11/09/22 10:47 AM
Bass Thumper,

Keep hammering away at it and you'll eventually arrive where to where you want it to be! I agree with Floyd that the bass is great sounding! The flute coming in is a nice touch also!

Thanks, Torrey
© PG Music Forums