PG Music Home
Posted By: firesong Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/16/23 07:28 PM
Here's another song written with Buddy Sutton...I'm not Irish but I wanted to try to do my best "Irish tenor" on this tune and try to give it a Celtic flavor to fit Buddy's lyrics...so...if you do...thanks for listening and commenting...I appreciate them...Dan

Love of My Life
https://soundclick.com/r/s5baek
Key C#-D 62BPM

BiaB components:
Style is _DAINGNE.STY (Daingne Slow Celtic 6-8 Jig)

RealTracks in style: 3117:Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaFolk68Byron Sw 060
RealTracks in song: 3401:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticSlowJig68 Sw 060
RealTracks in style: 3401:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticSlowJig68 Sw 060
RealTracks in style: 3125:Mandola, Rhythm AmericanaFolk68Andy sw 060
RealTracks in song: 3128:Mandola, Background AmericanaFolk68Andy sw 060

I added: vocals, a string pad and Celtic drums via the Yamaha Genos
Posted By: RnAM Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/17/23 01:42 PM
Beautiful music, the mandolas do a great job.
And you've got a wonderful voice.
Sung with compassion.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/17/23 01:59 PM
Dan (& Buddy),

A powerful vocal.
Really nice melody.

There is a slight "boom-i-ness" on my speakers from a combination of the Bass and the low-mid range of the vocals.
(I think the BIAB acoustic basses all have that tendency).

You did a nice job of giving this that "Celtic flavor"
(not a favorite genre for me)

fj
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/17/23 03:39 PM
Dan, I thought you did a very good job of bringing out that Celtic feel and keepin' it country at the same time. It was another good song all the way around, and I know you commonly get a lot of deservedly good comments on your vocals, but I just had to mention it again on this track. The way you hit that chorus was fantastic. Very good job once again, Dan.

PS - As I was typing this your track with Amber, "Someone Else's Prayer" came on. You didn't ask for comments on that one so I'll keep it short. WOW!, fantastic song, I wish I would have written it.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/17/23 04:49 PM
One of the most powerful voices on this forum singing in Celtic style sounded very interesting combination and I didn't have to be disappointed. Great band, the drums sound especially nice. Excellent vocals with lots of dynamics and emotion to express the message.

Janne
Posted By: firesong Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/18/23 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Beautiful music, the mandolas do a great job.
And you've got a wonderful voice.
Sung with compassion.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Rob and Anne-Marie...so glad you enjoyed it...Dan
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dan (& Buddy),

A powerful vocal.
Really nice melody.

There is a slight "boom-i-ness" on my speakers from a combination of the Bass and the low-mid range of the vocals.
(I think the BIAB acoustic basses all have that tendency).

You did a nice job of giving this that "Celtic flavor"
(not a favorite genre for me)

fj

Floyd...thanks for your thoughts...especially the technical ones...Dan
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Dan, I thought you did a very good job of bringing out that Celtic feel and keepin' it country at the same time. It was another good song all the way around, and I know you commonly get a lot of deservedly good comments on your vocals, but I just had to mention it again on this track. The way you hit that chorus was fantastic. Very good job once again, Dan.

PS - As I was typing this your track with Amber, "Someone Else's Prayer" came on. You didn't ask for comments on that one so I'll keep it short. WOW!, fantastic song, I wish I would have written it.

Hey Brad...Ireland is a "country" too...thanks for your comments and for listening to "Someone Else's Prayer" too...I may post it someday...I appreciate your thoughts...Dan

Originally Posted By: jannesan
One of the most powerful voices on this forum singing in Celtic style sounded very interesting combination and I didn't have to be disappointed. Great band, the drums sound especially nice. Excellent vocals with lots of dynamics and emotion to express the message.

Janne

Janne...I do really appreciate everything you had to say...Dan
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/18/23 07:54 PM

Dan,

Nice!

Very warm, and spirit-filling.

I love Praise and Worship and you do it so well!!

smile
Posted By: vicarn Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/19/23 02:16 PM
Such a good voice you have, Dan.
I agree with Floyd about the bass. Maybe try a hi pass EQ to the lowest parts below 50hz.
Nice instrument selection and melody.

Vic
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/19/23 06:43 PM
A beautiful song and really well sung. You have a wonderful range in your voice and I enjoyed the Celtic style you choose. I must check it out in BIAB. Regards Dermot
Posted By: firesong Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/19/23 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Dan,

Nice!

Very warm, and spirit-filling.

I love Praise and Worship and you do it so well!!

smile

David...thanks for your kind words...Dan

Originally Posted By: vicarn
Such a good voice you have, Dan.
I agree with Floyd about the bass. Maybe try a hi pass EQ to the lowest parts below 50hz.
Nice instrument selection and melody.

Vic

Hey Vic...I worked on the bass a bit and I think it's better...thanks to you and Floyd...Dan

Originally Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq
A beautiful song and really well sung. You have a wonderful range in your voice and I enjoyed the Celtic style you choose. I must check it out in BIAB. Regards Dermot

Dermot...thanks...yeah there are some great Celtic styles in BiaB...Dan
Posted By: dcuny Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/20/23 02:54 AM
Nothing to add that hasn't been said, other than my agreement. laugh

Mandolas sounds perfect here. Your vocal is great as usual. Sung with passion.

You and Buddy did a great job with this.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/20/23 10:27 AM
Beautiful song with a nice Celtic vibe and, as always, a great vocal performance.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/20/23 10:57 AM
That's the way.

Vic
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/20/23 11:02 AM
"If I do..." You weren't talking to me, Dan. You got the Celtic thing down in a modern way. Very well done. Your voice can do anything. I always like how you modulate --so free and easy. An Irish waltz with a well-worn mandolin. Beautifully soaring melody and lyrics. I'm sure Buddy did too.
Posted By: firesong Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/20/23 12:07 PM
David, Brian, Vic and Marty...you guys are so kind and encouraging to this old songwriter...your words and sentiments are welcomed and truly appreciated...and Buddy thanks you too...without him it's a no go...thanks again...Dan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/22/23 01:18 PM
Excellent and passionate vocals (as always!) and the Irish tenor worked out very well. Your dynamics are standout.

Great band and arrangement, especially the mandolas and the drums.

Well done!

J&B

PS: As an upright bass player Bud agrees with fj's comment about the bass. Uprights are often tough to meld into the mix. We use Neutron to put an edge on them. Sometimes just a touch of overdrive will help. FWIW and nitpicking for sure!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/22/23 01:23 PM
Another Praise and Worship masterpiece from Dan.
There is nothing else for me to say.
Loved it.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/22/23 08:00 PM
This is ever so beautiful! The modulation on "the love of my life" is particularly inspired. But this whole song is inspired and so lovingly created. You have a voice which I can only dream of having, and you use it to sing with care and great warmth. So beautiful, once more. Well done - you really are a class act musician.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/23/23 07:11 AM
Hi Dan,

A very nice song again!
A wonderful composition, very nice Mandolas and a voice that stands as a rock in the turbulent waves...
I couldn't add more then others already wrote.
Very good!

Hans
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/23/23 08:24 AM
Hello Dan
very nice song
Sounds just great
but only your singing really brings the song to life
Very good Dan
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: firesong Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/23/23 03:43 PM
Hey J&B, Mario, James, Hans and Andi...thanks guys so much for your gracious and encouraging comments!! Dan
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/24/23 03:37 PM
Dan,

This is a very good P/W song! It really has that Irish/Scot feel to it! Having just traveling in that region, I heard a lot of music with a similar feel, and you nailed it here! Great vocals and you reached a lot of high notes with no difficulty! The drums from that Genos are very convincing! Excellent!

Thanks, T
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Love of My Life (Celtic P&W) - 01/24/23 09:10 PM
Beautifully done. Love the melody. Yes, definitely some Celtic spice.
© PG Music Forums