PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper Log Cabin Jam - 01/17/23 05:50 PM
The experimentation continues with a song a bit edgier than my usual.

Background:
Ever write a song inspired by a memory from your distant past? Here is one memory.

My “crew” and I were just a tad North of puberty and chomping at the bit to explore “the world of adulthood”. One of my chums discovered a girl scout cabin deep in the woods. When he took us there it looked abandoned and there were certainly no girl scouts there. We decided it was a girl scout cabin because it had an outhouse . . . which we never used. So plans were instantly hatched for the upcoming Friday night. Somebody stole a case of beer from a neighbor’s garage and we all showed up at the cabin with bags of potato chips and sacks of candy to kill the taste.

I put my boy scout skills to use and built a fire in the fireplace. We then dared each other to drink more and more in between the singing and stupid dancing we were doing. For most of us, this was our first introduction to beer. Within 2 hours the 5 of us were drunk as skunks and vomiting into the wee hours of the morning. Whenever anyone vomited they became the subject of much laughter from the rest of us; and we all had our turn at being the subject. [I know . . . dumber than dumb on multiple levels.]

When daybreak arrived we all staggered back to our homes for proper hydration and well needed naps. It was a long time before I touched another beer after this experience. This song is inspired by this memory and I always smile with gratitude when I think back as nobody got hurt and we didn’t even burn down the cabin smile

Technicals:
110 BPM

BiaB
RealTracks in song: 1949:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist PopRootsyJohn Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 3358:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BritBluesRock Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 4172:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm LatinRock Ev 125
RealTracks in song: 3759:Guitar, Electric, Soloist FusionGrittyBrent Sw16 100
RealTracks in song: 1260:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopShining Ev 120
RealDrums in style:BluesRockEv^4-a:Snare, Open HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Me
Electric Bass
Percussive Organ with note bending in the bridge via Korg keyboard
Octave Brass in last two verses via Korg keyboard
Ride Cymbal in last two verses via Studio One Impact XT and 16-Step Sequencer
Crash Cymbal at the end via Studio One Impact XT (this still needs work)

If you listen thanks, and comments welcome particularly on the song structure and the panning applied.

Log Cabin Jam
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/17/23 07:05 PM
I enjoyed your song and the way it keeps building. It keeps our interest by adding your instruments and I liked the big Octave Brass sound. I must try out that Blues Rock style you used - well done.
Regards Dermot
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/19/23 01:00 PM
Cool toe-tappin' tune. Fantastic groove to it and I liked the guitars you chose. I thought the intro sounded a little hollow until the bass came in. As Dermot mentioned, the song really builds well. That note bending organ and brass were a great touch. I thought the structure was fine and the panning was good. It kept me focused in the entire time.

Brad
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/19/23 01:05 PM
Hey Dermot,
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I really like the blues rock in BiaB. It has a crisp and driving force to it.
As for the octave brass, like that too. I wish there was a way to drill down and find out how they produced this voice. I believe 2 oscillators are involved.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/19/23 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Cool toe-tappin' tune. Fantastic groove to it and I liked the guitars you chose. I thought the intro sounded a little hollow until the bass came in. As Dermot mentioned, the song really builds well. That note bending organ and brass were a great touch. I thought the structure was fine and the panning was good. It kept me focused in the entire time.

Brad

Thanks for the review Brad. The note bending was achieved using the X-Y joystick on the keyboard. I think when you pull all the way right you get a note a fifth higher than the original note and when you push all the way left you get a fifth lower. It's also velocity sensitive and transitions from note to note very smoothly. This may have been the first I recorded its use in a song.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/19/23 02:05 PM
Nicely done BT.
I was waiting for a vocal to come in.

Vic
Posted By: firesong Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/19/23 04:59 PM
Very cool tune and arrangement...great selection of instrumentation...love the guitar solos...once I heard the piano riffs I wanted more...great listen and super construction of the BiaB tracks!
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/19/23 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
If you listen thanks, and comments welcome particularly on the song structure and the panning applied.

Howdy BT....

The composition itself I think is fine.
Straight forward and easy to like.
Probably a good backing track for the lead players too.

The "panning"....I'm not a fan of the hard panning of lead tradeoffs and they are slightly uneven to my aural receptors.
It's a bit distracting and I think it's totally unnecessary.
If that's a must for your creative purposes I would (at most) pan them at 11:00 & 1:00 or 10:00 & 2:00.
With the limited instrumentation (I'm not hearing keys), and if it were my choice, I would pan the rhythm guitar at 2:00 and all the leads at 10:00....or vice versa.
I'd but the bass at 12:00.

You have a good cut here and this would be my quite subjective opinion.
Which, of course, you can ignore totally smile.
I do hope that helps....

(EDIT: firesong heard piano riffs which I didn't for some reason.
It that's the case I'd go 10:00 & 2:00 with the rhythm guitar & piano and all leads at 12:00)

Back to it....

Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/19/23 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Nicely done BT.
I was waiting for a vocal to come in.

Vic

Thanks Vic, how I wish I could sing . . . like you gifted guys and gals !! crazy
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/19/23 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Very cool tune and arrangement...great selection of instrumentation...love the guitar solos...once I heard the piano riffs I wanted more...great listen and super construction of the BiaB tracks!

Thanks fs, I too am loving the VERY talented piano players PG Music has hired.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/19/23 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966

Howdy BT....

The composition itself I think is fine.
Straight forward and easy to like.
Probably a good backing track for the lead players too.

The "panning"....I'm not a fan of the hard panning of lead tradeoffs and they are slightly uneven to my aural receptors.
It's a bit distracting and I think it's totally unnecessary.
If that's a must for your creative purposes I would (at most) pan them at 11:00 & 1:00 or 10:00 & 2:00.
With the limited instrumentation (I'm not hearing keys), and if it were my choice, I would pan the rhythm guitar at 2:00 and all the leads at 10:00....or vice versa.
I'd but the bass at 12:00.

You have a good cut here and this would be my quite subjective opinion.
Which, of course, you can ignore totally smile.
I do hope that helps....

(EDIT: firesong heard piano riffs which I didn't for some reason.
It that's the case I'd go 10:00 & 2:00 with the rhythm guitar & piano and all leads at 12:00)

Back to it....

Hey chulaivet, thanks for your good inputs. I will try to implement them in future songs.
FWIW, Guitar 3 was panned Hard Right and Guitar 4 was panned L66, everything else had zero panning. The thinking was I wanted to seperate the 2 guitars so they wouldn't be confused as the same guitar. I do agree that the panning was a bit prominent but I thought that's what people like. I too prefer less prominence so that the blend is more central. There is probably a whole science behind this topic.

As for the BiaB piano riff that you didn't hear, it's short and begins at 1:40. There is also an organ riff at the same time that I am playing. But the organ may have too much volume which stepped on the piano too much. For any instrument I play I lean towards increasing the volume at least a little for 2 reasons 1) I hope others can give good critiscm on my playing and 2) when I'm "old" and my hearing begins to fail I'm hoping that I'll still be able to hear the parts I played.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/19/23 06:41 PM
[quote=chulaivet1966]I'm "old" and my hearing begins to fail I'm hoping that I'll still be able to hear the parts I played.

Ha....grab an oar....we're in the same boat. I'm 76 this year...whew. smile

The panning....I think you'd arrive at acceptable separation with most panning at appr. 8:00 & 4:00 or 9:00 & 3:00.
I'd start with 10:00 & 2:00 then use your ears to decide.
As a rule, in the song writing context, I just don't think Hard panning is necessary or appealing from my POV.

Glad you accepted my points as I intended.

Back to it....

Posted By: dcuny Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/20/23 03:02 AM
Nice sound... feels a bit like I fell into the 60's or something. wink

The piano bits sounded a bit more up front than anything else, but I'm listening to my monitors instead of headphones.

Interesting story, fun listen!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/20/23 10:13 AM
Needs vocals grin

I think it's a good song and a pleasant listen. It builds nicely and I always expected a singer to join the band.

It's funny that there are instrumentals that are supposed to have a singer and others don't.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/20/23 11:37 AM
I like your story, Steve, but there didn't seem to be "the happy ending" you guys were expecting. When I read your title, I was expecting a cool jam in a wintry cabin. Man, imagine a jam like that with all the musicians this program has to offer. You chose very well. Really nice build starting with the guitar, then bring in the bass followed closely by the rest of the rhythm section. Then the first soloist comes in on the right, soon followed by another on the left. The piano takes center stage and fades behind the guitars. This is just like a good jam. Then you WOW us bringing in the horn section who, up until this time, were hidden in the shadows to the back of the stage. Yeah, really good mix and a very enjoyable jam.

Funny... the other day I heard a bunch of girls about your age giggling about how they had a night of free beer and got to see a bunch of guys really making fools of themselves back at scout camp.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/20/23 11:52 AM
Hi Steve,

Your memories of that beer drinking bunch of boys, waiting to meet the girls (I thought) is a very nice one.
about the drinking experiences I think most of us will have their story on that.
Mine would be a little different than yours, but at the end I wasn't sober anymore.

a good song, a very nice solo, but -to be honest- like Vic I had hoped the vocals came in somewhere.
But that's because I like vocals in a song.
Now I read you can't sing, but have you tried it? Who knows? Some here at the forum also had no idea they could sing, but it turned out they could!

Hans
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/20/23 01:11 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice sound... feels a bit like I fell into the 60's or something. wink

Thanks David, I guess it does have a 60s feel. If so it wasn't intentional.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/20/23 01:13 PM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Needs vocals grin
I think it's a good song and a pleasant listen. It builds nicely and I always expected a singer to join the band.

It's funny that there are instrumentals that are supposed to have a singer and others don't.

Thanks BD. Now that you mention it I guess it could use vocals.
If you sing, let's collaborate.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/20/23 01:20 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
I like your story, Steve, but there didn't seem to be "the happy ending" you guys were expecting. When I read your title, I was expecting a cool jam in a wintry cabin. Man, imagine a jam like that with all the musicians this program has to offer. You chose very well. Really nice build starting with the guitar, then bring in the bass followed closely by the rest of the rhythm section. Then the first soloist comes in on the right, soon followed by another on the left. The piano takes center stage and fades behind the guitars. This is just like a good jam. Then you WOW us bringing in the horn section who, up until this time, were hidden in the shadows to the back of the stage. Yeah, really good mix and a very enjoyable jam.

Funny... the other day I heard a bunch of girls about your age giggling about how they had a night of free beer and got to see a bunch of guys really making fools of themselves back at scout camp.

Hey Marty, you are a HOOT !! We certainly wished that bunch of girls magically showed up that night, but alas, the truth must be told. They were no where to be found frown

But back to music. Thanks for your indepth review. The "message" I intended to transmit in this arrangement is exactly what you recieved. This is one of the many things that makes music so cooool, that it can actually communicate! Keep thumping, singing, writing and arranging man.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/20/23 01:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Steve,

Your memories of that beer drinking bunch of boys, waiting to meet the girls (I thought) is a very nice one.
about the drinking experiences I think most of us will have their story on that.
Mine would be a little different than yours, but at the end I wasn't sober anymore.

a good song, a very nice solo, but -to be honest- like Vic I had hoped the vocals came in somewhere.
But that's because I like vocals in a song.
Now I read you can't sing, but have you tried it? Who knows? Some here at the forum also had no idea they could sing, but it turned out they could!

Hans

Hey Hans, we weren't waiting for the girls because the cabin looked abandoned. BUT, being a crew of normal, healthy post-puberty males with hormones rushing from head to toe we certainly would not have shooed them away if they had showed up. As a matter of fact, most conversations were either about girls, music or sports . . . in that order. Regarding that night I guess one could say

No sugar tonight in my coffee
No sugar tonight in my tea
No sugar to stand beside me
No sugar to run with me
smile

Regarding the vocals, the best I can muster is the ooohs and aaahs in the background. But I do agree, vocals would be nice. Maybe somebody will express interest in collaborating at some point.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/20/23 04:16 PM
Steve,

A nice jam.
There is a slight Santana vibe that gives it a nice familiarity...
The guitar solos are nicely put together.
You Bass sounds really good.
Mix sounds good to me (I thought the piano was at a good level).

fj
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/21/23 12:31 PM
Nothing wrong than a good old jam in my book, and this sounds like a group of musician friends sitting around jamming, especially with the pans you used.

Enjoyed reading your backstory, man, when I think back on some of the crazy stuff I did back in the 70's ... fun times wink

Well done, I enjoy listening to your experiments.

Keep them coming!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/21/23 02:26 PM
Pleasant blues rock groove with nice organic arrangement. Those solo guitarists are very well chosen, the brass is a nice surprise and the cymbals are noticable in a good way. Funny inspiration for the song, kind of asking for lyrics also, I can almost hear lines like "getting drunk at a girl scout cabin" laugh

Janne
Posted By: rayc Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/21/23 10:45 PM
The brass sounds really mark a change well.
Panning is pretty subjective and, of course, is exaggerated in headphones.
Generally, in guitar rock, hard panning is used for double tracked guitars, (only slight differences in timing/tone/attack etc), to create a BIG sound.
However, it should be used as desired really. Many genres have quite specific rules about placement and level but who wants to be that specific or obstructed?
I though the panning was fine and swapping sides to emphasize the difference between instruments is a tried & proven process. It worked for my ears.
I liked it.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 09:42 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Steve,

A nice jam.
There is a slight Santana vibe that gives it a nice familiarity...
The guitar solos are nicely put together.
You Bass sounds really good.
Mix sounds good to me (I thought the piano was at a good level).

fj

Hey fj,
Thanks for the positive review. I guess I hear a little Santana in there too but that wasn't intended.
Another happy accident? smile
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 09:44 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nothing wrong than a good old jam in my book, and this sounds like a group of musician friends sitting around jamming, especially with the pans you used.

Enjoyed reading your backstory, man, when I think back on some of the crazy stuff I did back in the 70's ... fun times wink

Well done, I enjoy listening to your experiments.

Keep them coming!

Thanks for listening Dave, glad you liked it.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 09:48 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Pleasant blues rock groove with nice organic arrangement. Those solo guitarists are very well chosen, the brass is a nice surprise and the cymbals are noticable in a good way. Funny inspiration for the song, kind of asking for lyrics also, I can almost hear lines like "getting drunk at a girl scout cabin" laugh

Janne

Hey Janne, many thanks.
How 'bout these lyrics to start
Quit your blabbin
It's time for the cabin
The girls aren't there
But to drink I do thee dare
smile
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
The brass sounds really mark a change well.
Panning is pretty subjective and, of course, is exaggerated in headphones.
Generally, in guitar rock, hard panning is used for double tracked guitars, (only slight differences in timing/tone/attack etc), to create a BIG sound.
However, it should be used as desired really. Many genres have quite specific rules about placement and level but who wants to be that specific or obstructed?
I though the panning was fine and swapping sides to emphasize the difference between instruments is a tried & proven process. It worked for my ears.
I liked it.

Many thanks Ray.
I'm really liking the brass that I can get out of the Korg. Glad you liked it too.
As for panning, I've got much to learn.
Mix with headphone or monitors?
How hard to pan? Etc.
But you got my intended "message" which was to isolate/seperate the two guitars.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 01:26 PM

This sounds great man.

Excellent production and playing and instrument choices

I am going to create a style with them right now!

smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 02:03 PM
SUPER jam
Great groove
Super nice bass
Great dynamics and build up
You are really doing some fantastic work.

FYI - If you want to do octave work with your bass all you need is an octave bass pedal:

https://producerhive.com/buyer-guides/guitar-pedals/best-bass-octave-pedals/

I use an VST octave pedal from Amplitube on occasion.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 03:38 PM
Good groovin jam. Well mixed. Everything was in it's correct place. My Mom was a girl scout leader so when I was little I got dragged along to the meetings. I like to say I was a girl scout before I was a boy scout! Good listen, Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 05:46 PM
Cool jam sounding like some well seasoned gig/studio players who know one another well.

Nice build and bass...yeah, B&B is your signature smile

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 08:12 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This sounds great man.

Excellent production and playing and instrument choices

I am going to create a style with them right now!

smile

Hey David, thanks for the listen and positive review.
I'm continuing to learn from so many here.
Looking forward to hearing more of your craft.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 09:25 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
SUPER jam
Great groove
Super nice bass
Great dynamics and build up
You are really doing some fantastic work.

FYI - If you want to do octave work with your bass all you need is an octave bass pedal:

https://producerhive.com/buyer-guides/guitar-pedals/best-bass-octave-pedals/

I use an VST octave pedal from Amplitube on occasion.

Thanks for the positive review Mario, it's much appreciated.

Regarding bass pedals, you have reminded me I actually have one. It's been collecting dust for a few years. I'll start a separate thread on this subject.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Good groovin jam. Well mixed. Everything was in it's correct place. My Mom was a girl scout leader so when I was little I got dragged along to the meetings. I like to say I was a girl scout before I was a boy scout! Good listen, Tom

Thanks for the kind words Tom.
I got a chuckle . . . a girl scout before a boy scout?
I'm glad you clarified, with today's technology that could have meant a gender change was involved laugh
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/22/23 09:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Cool jam sounding like some well seasoned gig/studio players who know one another well.

Nice build and bass...yeah, B&B is your signature smile

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Hey J&B, thanks for the listen and glowing review. Not too sure about well seasoned gig/studio players but I'm learning and sure having a ton of fun.

Plus has anyone mentioned lately that music is a great Alzheimer buster?
Keep them brain cells dancing baby smile
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/23/23 08:36 AM
Hi Steve
Good Song
Great intro
The song is a feast for every guitarist ;-)
Unfortunately the solos (especially the longer ones) on BiaB are usually not that good.
But that's not your fault
Maybe you will find a guitarist who tries to play it
Really good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Scott C Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/23/23 07:45 PM
Cool groove BT. Excellent choice of instrumentation. Loved the basslines. Well done
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/24/23 03:41 PM
Bass Thumper,

Excellent job working with those RealTracks! This has that Santana feel for sure! Your additions to the song compliment the overall sound really well! I like the way you spread the solos and mix around loved the horn part-effective!

Take care, T
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Log Cabin Jam - 01/24/23 09:03 PM
Andi, thanks for the positive review.

Scott, I appreciate your comments. Thanks

Torrey, glad you liked it. The horn part took some effort to produce something I was satisified with.
© PG Music Forums