PG Music Home
Posted By: Island Soul More island styles - 11/10/15 03:40 PM
I play steel drum and obvious a lot of the time I play Caribbean, calypso, and stuff like Jimmy Buffet, Beach Boys, Bob Marley, and Harry Belafonte to name a few. So far the only options are some country-islandish style,calypso, and reggae. I would really like to see more authentic Caribbean style like Soca, that feature Steel drum backing tracks so I could have more authentic tracks.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: More island styles - 11/10/15 05:08 PM
Is there any chance you can provide some example song links (on YouTube, Soundcloud, CD Baby, iTunes or Spotify) so we can have a better idea of the Caribbean styles you would find useful? Unfortunately I am not familiar with Soca so I have no point of reference.

Posted By: 90 dB Re: More island styles - 11/11/15 12:15 PM
Try:

Soca1.Sty
Soca 1
Carribean Soul Calypso

Or:

BTNYSOCA

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: More island styles - 11/22/15 09:34 AM
+1
These styles are great and can provide some interesting dimensions, especially when layered with other styles.
Posted By: MarioD Re: More island styles - 11/22/15 12:03 PM
+1 for both RT and MIDI styles.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: More island styles - 11/22/15 02:51 PM
There is a Jon Lucien bossa/samba style, with and without RealDrums. I requested this a dozen years ago in the Styles Wishlist and PG Music made one! It's MIDI for the rest of the instruments, but try it.

Filter in Styles for "jonluce".
Posted By: Bob Schilling Re: More island styles - 12/16/15 03:04 AM
I'm also very interested in steel drum styles. You'll find them in many, many Jimmy Buffett songs. For a great example check out the Zak Brown and Jimmy Buffett live version of Toes (in the sand). Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYLiLVyDfhY
Posted By: Bob Schilling Re: More island styles - 12/16/15 03:15 AM
For more examples of Caribbean steel drum styles ala Jimmy Buffett, Bob Marley, Beach Boys, etc. these guys have about 70 albums worth of steel drums and samples of every song on every album:
http://www.cdbaby.com/Search/U3RlZWwgRHJ1bXM%3d/0
Posted By: Island Soul Re: More island styles - 01/07/16 03:44 PM
Here is an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02mLBqSStyc
Posted By: Island Soul Re: More island styles - 01/07/16 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
There is a Jon Lucien bossa/samba style, with and without RealDrums. I requested this a dozen years ago in the Styles Wishlist and PG Music made one! It's MIDI for the rest of the instruments, but try it.

Filter in Styles for "jonluce".

Matt Finley, I'm not looking for something that has a "island" sound, I'm looking for an actual island style that has real steel drum tracks that play the chords, harmonizes and bass lines.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: More island styles - 01/08/16 12:50 AM
Your example makes it very clear. That will help PG Music a great deal. I hope they can fulfill your request - that style would be fun.
Posted By: Island Soul Re: More island styles - 01/26/16 09:42 PM
The youtube video. Yes
© PG Music Forums