PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper A Fascinating Instrument - 08/22/23 11:14 AM
What is made of bamboo?
Has 12, 16 or 24 strings?
Can be amplified?
And has a 2.5 octave range on each hand?

To Mr. Meeks: Brilliant thinking . . . well done Sir.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/aug/16/if-stevie-wonder-wants-to-play-it-pay-attention-how-a-bizarre-new-instrument-found-unusual-success?mc_cid=3020525366&mc_eid=1af3ef023e
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A Fascinating Instrument - 08/22/23 11:33 AM
that has a cool sound. lots of possibilities.... wondering when the VST version comes out for Kontakt?
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: A Fascinating Instrument - 08/22/23 12:17 PM
I've never been a big fan of 3-piece live bands (drums, guitar, bass) but I could see a guy or gal on this thing with a drummer and bass player and really produce some melodic stuff with decent range . . . heck, they may even be able to chop out the bass player.

Which reminds me of frequenting night clubs and dance lounges in my youth where a 2-piece band (drums and keyboard) really got us dancing. Can't remember the name but they'd cut the lights in the middle of a song and when the lights came back on they'd be in gorrilla masks. The drummer was also on a rotating pedestal which was cool for us kids . . . sorry for the digression crazy
Posted By: MarioD Re: A Fascinating Instrument - 08/22/23 02:34 PM
That is a really interesting instrument. I would like to get one but as Bob Uecker would say "It's a little outside my price range"!

It is a beautiful sounding instrument.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: A Fascinating Instrument - 08/22/23 06:14 PM
It's very like many of the zither and cymbalom type instruments, but the tuning arrangement is interesting and probably user-friendly. Neat bit of design.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Fascinating Instrument - 08/22/23 06:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
I've never been a big fan of 3-piece live bands (drums, guitar, bass) but I could see a guy or gal on this thing with a drummer and bass player and really produce some melodic stuff with decent range . . . heck, they may even be able to chop out the bass player.

Interesting, we love trios. Cream, Stevie Ray, ZZTop, Hendrix and many more. The demands on the singer guitar player are enormous as they have to play an interesting rhythm and fills while singing in addition to all the solos and the best trio bass players and drummers work together so well to make it all happen, e.g., Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Some of my fav gigs were trios - reckon I’m biased smile FWIW and forgive the ole guy post hijacking.

Bud
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: A Fascinating Instrument - 08/22/23 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Interesting, we love trios. Cream, Stevie Ray, ZZTop, Hendrix and many more. The demands on the singer guitar player are enormous as they have to play an interesting rhythm and fills while singing in addition to all the solos and the best trio bass players and drummers work together so well to make it all happen, e.g., Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Some of my fav gigs were trios - reckon I’m biased smile FWIW and forgive the ole guy post hijacking.

Bud

I guess I've always been somewhat picky in this regard.
Two or more lead instruments that can call and answer and intertwine with each other is what I enjoy for a full, rich sound. Chicago, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Alan Parsons, Grateful Dead are a few examples.
Give me a keyboard, 2nd guitar, sax, xylophone, violin or brass instrument anytime.

But to each his own, music is highly personal smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Fascinating Instrument - 08/22/23 09:49 PM

Bud

I guess I've always been somewhat picky in this regard.
Two or more lead instruments that can call and answer and intertwine with each other is what I enjoy for a full, rich sound. Chicago, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Alan Parsons, Grateful Dead are a few examples.
Give me a keyboard, 2nd guitar, sax, xylophone, violin or brass instrument anytime.

But to each his own, music is highly personal smile

Hey, didn’t mean I don’t like it all … just love the effort a good trio takes. I recorded garage rock bands in the 60’s and played in a number of five piece acoustic bands for decades. Janice’s brother and a brother in law played in some notable progressive rock bands. And we much like classic rock of the 80’s, jazz and more. It’s all good!
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: A Fascinating Instrument - 08/23/23 10:18 AM

… just love the effort a good trio takes.

Fully agree, to really pull it off all 3 players need to go above and beyond.

... back to the subject . . . check out this full song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr87Z7rZiWE
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: A Fascinating Instrument - 08/24/23 07:27 AM
What is made of bamboo?
Has 12, 16 or 24 strings?
Can be amplified?
And has a 2.5 octave range on each hand?

To Mr. Meeks: Brilliant thinking . . . well done Sir.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/aug/16/if-stevie-wonder-wants-to-play-it-pay-attention-how-a-bizarre-new-instrument-found-unusual-success?mc_cid=3020525366&mc_eid=1af3ef023e

Basically a next-generation Zither (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KKQDotECdg for the original).
But yes, sounds pretty good, especially through a good amp.
© PG Music Forums