PG Music Home
Hello everyone,,
This is not a BIAB-specific question - it's more a MIDI piano roll question. It is extra exciting because my MIDI knowledge base is in its infancy.

I am writing a virtual instrument bass part (AmpleSound P-bass) using the MIDI piano roll in Reaper - I am playing nothing with a MIDI keyboard. Although I'm writing it in Reaper, to my uneducated eyes most DAW's piano rolls seem to operate pretty much the same. Perhaps that's not the case.

All is going well except at the very end of the song - the ending bar (#75). I want the ending bass note (C) to be struck once at the beginning of bar 75 and then ring on/die out naturally for another two full bars - maybe three. If I add MIDI bars 76, 77 and 78 (each bar with a whole C note entered) the note is picked at the beginning of each bar - which isn't the plan.

Is there a way to make an ending note sustain thru multiple MIDI bars when writing a virtual MIDI part with the piano roll?

If I'm not in the right forum with this question, please direct me where I need to be...

Thanks in advance!
Most piano roll views let you extend the duration of a note by click, hold and drag the right end of the note.

In this case you want the note to extend over three bars. You may want to zoom out some so all three bars can be seen in one screen shot. Then you can click, hold and drag to get the note duration to the length you want.

Alternatively you can zoom in to make the right end of the note easier to see and click on and then perform the click, hold and drag routine multiple times.

Some piano roll editors use left button holds to drag, some right button holds to drag and others use Ctrl + hold to drag. I don't use Reaper so I'm not sure which mouse button combination works in that DAW.
I do this a lot. As Jim said, extend the note to the point you want it to end.

There is one other thing you need to do if you want it to fade. On BB, you plot a fade curve on the piano roll screen. Reaper also can do that. If you don't do it, the note will keep its initial volume and then end abruptly.

2b
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
I do this a lot. As Jim said, extend the note to the point you want it to end.

There is one other thing you need to do if you want it to fade. On BB, you plot a fade curve on the piano roll screen. Reaper also can do that. If you don't do it, the note will keep its initial volume and then end abruptly.

2b

This depends on the sample. For instance most instruments have a natural fade. So if you have a note written longer that the fade it will not matter as the sample will naturally fade prior to the end of your written note. Things like organs and EPs will stay until the end of the written note, i.e. they have no natural fadses.
Also, synth basses will go on and on.

2b
© PG Music Forums