PG Music Home
Lots of patience involved, and clearly a lot of 'old school' style artisans make up a large part of the skills required:

Posted By: kadju Re: Skilled manufacturing of Brass Instruments - 04/27/24 06:18 PM
I was lucky enough to play a Miraphone through Junior and Senior High school. A beautiful instrument.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
Interesting story...About 20 years ago I bought a beat up trumpet in an antique mall for $100. Turned out to be a 1947 Martin Committee trumpet, the same one Miles played, though his was a large bore and this was a medium bore. Posted some pics online and received a lot of opinions about the viability, but the consensus was it was not salvageable. Fortunately, I did get a referral to a retired brass instrument master repairer who had retired to Florida, and gave him a call. (Remember when people did THAT?) He described the process for restoring the crushed brass tubing using progressively larger ball bearings, replacing the felts and refinishing at the original facility Martin used in Elkhart, Indiana. Told me to wrap it in bubble wrap (no case) and send it to him, which I did. About six weeks later he shipped it back, wrapped in bubble wrap, and it was like new. Just...stunning. And I hadn't paid him a nickel yet. But I did. Well, it was more than a nickel. Kept it for many years even though I didn't play trumpet. It was just a lovely piece of art. Once a friend came over for dinner and mentioned that he played the trumpet. Hey, want to look at my trumpet, I asked? Sure he said, dubiously. His jaw hit his chin when I put down the original Martin case and handed him the Committee. Gosh, it did sound nice though. Eventually sold it since I felt bad hoarding an instrument that clearly needed to be played. I like to think it is...
© PG Music Forums