PG Music Home
Posted By: Jannie Spain request for chords - 03/20/13 11:13 PM
I would like to request some of the following chords be made available in the chord builder:

m7+11
m7b5#2
m11+5
m9+5
maj7+11

Thank you very much.

Jannie
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: request for chords - 03/20/13 11:29 PM
Just to clarify a few of these, are you using the + as a #5?

m7+11 could mean m11 #5, or m7 #11 depending on how one uses the + (which is why I don't use it). BIAB has its own conventions on how to interpret it.

As for the 11 chord, it is already supported. There is an option to control whether it displays as 11 or as 9sus in Opt, Preferences, Display.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: request for chords - 03/21/13 12:00 AM
In BIAB look under help-index-chord list for all the chords that BIAB supportrs
Posted By: alan S. Re: request for chords - 03/23/13 02:58 PM
m7b5#2 is supported as m9b5 in BIAB.

m7+11.. if you mean by that an added 11th then just type m11 and it should work.
If you mean m7#11 which includes the 5th in the first octave and the b5 then it's not supported.

m9+5 I assume means m9#5 isn't supported but there are ways of approximating the sound with inversions.
Cm9#5 is another Locrian #2 chord which is a mode of melodic minor. Any other chord/mode of melodic minor can be used with the locrian#2 root as an alternate bass note. For cm9#5 I like quickly alternating D7b5b9b13/C with Ab5b/C on 2 beats using an 8th note push for the second chord.
It's amazing how many unsupported chords you can get using this method.

Cheers

Alan
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: request for chords - 03/23/13 06:02 PM
Jannie, if you can spell the chords you want, it will help us. For example, Alan explained the m11 chord. I didn't mention it for your requested m7+11 because I didn't know if you wanted the 9th to sound in a m11, or if you meant a m11 with a sharp 5.
Posted By: alan S. Re: request for chords - 03/24/13 11:57 PM
If I had the time and inclination I might post a ready reckoner of every available chord spelling achieved through
A) inversion of supported chord
B) using an alternate bass root under any given chord
C) hybrid of two other chords from the same mode/scale

And that's not including the trick of adding a note to any given chord by shifting your chord track to the melody channel and entering the note in a second chord sheet. Set the melody harmony to low root plus melody press play, and there you have it.

I do think it should be easier to specify your own chord voicings though. Almost every two-bit auto accompaniment program without half of BIAB's functionality has had that capability years ago.

Cheers

Alan
Posted By: Peter (no wolf) Re: request for chords - 01/17/15 01:02 PM
Hi guys.

I would like to request the chord [b]maj7(b9)[/b] (T 3 5 #7 b9)

I can get it with some workaround ([b]9b[/b]m7b5/[b]T[/b] or [b]3[/b]m6/[b]T[/b]) but would be nice if I could get it without any workaround.

Regards
Posted By: Peter (no wolf) Re: request for chords - 01/19/15 08:38 PM
Hi guys.

I'm posting again 'cause seems there is a problem with UBBCodes.

I would like to request the chord maj7(b9) (T 3 5 #7 b9)

I can get it with some workaround (b9m7b5/T or 3m6/T) but would be nice if I could get it without any workaround.

Regards
Posted By: raymb1 Re: request for chords - 01/20/15 01:13 PM
You may be able to use E-6/C Ray
© PG Music Forums