PG Music Home
Posted By: Island Soul Setlist - 04/03/17 03:34 PM
I don't use Band in a Box to gig but maybe some of you do and I think this could help you guys out. The idea I have in mind is to have a "setlist" like feature. So, with "setlist", you would be able to pick the songs in the order that you want to play them and the number of songs and have them loaded before you go to your gig, or open mic night, and to the order of the sheet music: unlike the jukebox where it randomly selects the tracks for you. What makes this an even better option is thart if you are performing the same setlist, is that if you decide to preforme the same setlist, but you now preform as a duo or trio you can just mute the Real Tracks you would normaly use as a soloist, and you if you have more than one style of the same song, you could even rearrange your setlist with different types of backings of the same song on the fly. So, if you normally preform Brown Eyed Girl as a rock song, and have to do it as a reggae tune, all you would need to do is add your reggae version into the setlist and you're good to go.

So, what do you think? Would this be something you guys would like to see?
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Setlist - 04/03/17 09:42 PM
I just make a folder inside BIAB (F3) with tunes I want and the order that I want. That works for me. Control-T will bring up the mixer where I can mute instruments.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Setlist - 04/03/17 09:55 PM
Or just use the Jukebox function.
You can save multiple sets as .fso files.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Setlist - 04/04/17 01:12 AM
OP said Jukebox chose tunes randomly. I don't know. Never use it.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Setlist - 04/04/17 02:14 AM
There's a bug in the jukebox. You can go forward, but you can only go backwards in the list a certain amount and then it just keeps repeating the last two songs. Has been reported, but not fixed yet AFAIK.

Anyway, back to the O/P's suggestion.
+1
Posted By: Island Soul Re: Setlist - 04/04/17 07:55 AM
Originally Posted By: raymb1
I just make a folder inside BIAB (F3) with tunes I want and the order that I want. That works for me. Control-T will bring up the mixer where I can mute instruments.

Please note that I use Band in a Box for Mac, so I have no idea how that works for Mac.
Posted By: Island Soul Re: Setlist - 04/04/17 11:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Lloyd S
Or just use the Jukebox function.
You can save multiple sets as .fso files.

Can you show me how that is done? I envisioned more of having a button next to the jukebox buttonwhere you could have a box pop up that would allow you to organize the songs you wanted to play within Band in a Box, for people who wanted to keep things simple. All you need to from there is just click on the setlist button and it would start play the songs in the order, and you would be all set. I also envisioned the user to have the ability to have muliple setlist with customizable names, and possible colors, so the user could easily find the right setlist for the gig. Agian, I don't gig using Band in a Box, I gig with an iPod and therefore, I have no experience use Band in a Box live.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Setlist - 04/04/17 03:41 PM
Just wanted to correct a minor misconception in the original post above -
The playlist of the Jukebox isn't 'random' unless you set it up that way yourself. It's normally alphabetical, so if someone wanted the songs to be set up in a specific order that isn't alphabetical, the quickest way would be to rename them with a number at the start (so that the song you want to come first will have "1" at the start of its name and so on).
As for saving/loading the Jukebox list, this seems to be (yet another thing) only available for PC versions. The Jukebox on Mac is clearly far more limited.

So this gets my +1 for "increase the capabilities and features of Jukebox".
Posted By: 1manband Re: Setlist - 04/05/17 10:59 PM
I set up playlists without changing the names of songs by doing the following:
1. Click on the bottom half of the Song button (or enter Shift + F3), then select Favorites.
2. Use the buttons on right (Append, Insert, Up, Down, etc.) to arrange the set as desired. No numbers before song titles are needed.
3. Save the set (all you have to do is name it). To load it later, just click on "Load Set" and select the desired set.

Then I play these songs in a Jukebox mode by clicking on the bottom button on the right side of the same Favorite Songs dialog box ("Juke...") and then "Play Jukebox" on the dialog box that pops up. I use an automatic pause after each song by going to Prefs>Arrange, and make sure the box is checked beside "Pause Play Until MIDI or Key received".

I use a footswitch to start each song whenever I'm ready; they will automatically load and wait for your command to begin playing. You can order a programmable USB footswitch for about $39 plus shipping from Delcom at http://www.delcomproducts.com/productdetails.asp?productnum=803650. It works great.

In BIAB Prefs, I have the spacebar set to "Play from start." I program the footswitch to replicate the spacebar.

Good luck!
Posted By: Icelander Re: Setlist - 04/06/17 11:02 AM
Originally Posted By: 1manband
I set up playlists without changing the names of songs by doing the following..
This looks promising, am going to check how well this matches the Mac end of the spectrum.
Thanks for the tip cool
Posted By: 1manband Re: Setlist - 04/16/17 05:48 PM
I failed to mention that when you click on "JUKE" you need to make sure the box for "Random Order Playback" is unchecked! I think the default setting is checked.

So the corrected complete instructions are:

I set up playlists without changing the names of songs by doing the following:
1. Click on the bottom half of the Song button then Favorite Songs (or just enter Shift + F3, I find that easier).
2. Use the buttons on right (Append, Insert, Up, Down, etc.) to arrange the set as desired. No numbers before song titles are needed.
3. Save the set (all you have to do is name it). To load it later, just click on "Load Set" and select the desired set.

Then I play these songs in a Jukebox mode by clicking on the bottom button on the right side of the same Favorite Songs dialog box ("Juke..."), make sure the box for "Random Order Playback" is unchecked, and then "Play Jukebox" on the dialog box that pops up. I use an automatic pause after each song by going to Prefs>Arrange, and make sure the box is checked beside "Pause Play Until MIDI or Key received".

I use a footswitch to start each song whenever I'm ready; they will automatically load and wait for your command to begin playing. You can order a programmable USB footswitch for about $39 plus shipping from Delcom at http://www.delcomproducts.com/productdetails.asp?productnum=803650. It works great.

In BIAB Prefs, I have the spacebar set to "Play from start." I program the footswitch to replicate the spacebar.

Good luck!
Posted By: Icelander Re: Setlist - 04/16/17 09:26 PM
That was very detailed and thorough, I'll give you that. Unfortunately, as we established already, almost 99% of what you've outlined there just is not available to Mac users (which the OP already said he is!). So your efforts, while certainly informative and educational for the masses, were rather in vain here frown
Posted By: 1manband Re: Setlist - 04/17/17 03:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
as we established already, almost 99% of what you've outlined there just is not available to Mac users frown

I was unaware that this was "established." You said previously you were going to check it out, but I never saw the results or your conclusion. Since I don't use a Mac, I have no way of knowing what is different.

It's unfortunate that the Mac version doesn't offer this capability (yet). Maybe someday...
Posted By: Icelander Re: Setlist - 04/18/17 02:01 PM
My bad, I had completely forgotten about my second post to this thread eek
But the bottom line still remains the same: On the Mac there are absolutely no options to save a playlist of songs in any way, shape or form, be it for the Jukebox or otherwise! smirk
Posted By: Island Soul Re: Setlist - 04/21/17 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: 1manband
Originally Posted By: Icelander
as we established already, almost 99% of what you've outlined there just is not available to Mac users frown

I was unaware that this was "established." You said previously you were going to check it out, but I never saw the results or your conclusion. Since I don't use a Mac, I have no way of knowing what is different.

It's unfortunate that the Mac version doesn't offer this capability (yet). Maybe someday...

80% of what the Windows users get, Mac users never get. We usually get a stripped down version of BIAB for what ever odd reason, and I have never understand it at all. We did not get the 1st 2nd coda, tag thing until BIAB 2016, and there is away to export xml files but it is hard to figure out how to do. It's like PG Music give Mac users the buffet version with a little a bit of stuff thrown here and there while the Windows users get the steak dinner with all the trimmings. Back to the jukebox, the Mac version just plays the songs at random, and I have no idea how to change it.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Setlist - 04/21/17 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Islansoul
80% of what the Windows users get, Mac users never get.

I don't know what exact features that the Mac version has, but I'm surprised that it would only do 20% of what the Windows version does. That's a really significant difference. Are you sure about that figure?
Posted By: Icelander Re: Setlist - 04/21/17 09:45 PM
Of course he isn't, for that simply is a statement made from sentiment rather than hard facts.

And making gross overstatements like that is not helping the cause either, if you ask me smirk
© PG Music Forums