PG Music Home
Posted By: steve sin Blue bottom disks? - 03/31/18 08:24 PM
I just want confirmation that the disks are dvdr disks and not proper pressed disks. Anyone?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Blue bottom disks? - 03/31/18 09:46 PM
Welcome to the forum. I don't know. The base material of CDs and DVDs, recordable or not, can come in a variety of colors. I don't know how you can tell anything by color.
Posted By: steve sin Re: Blue bottom disks? - 04/01/18 05:13 AM
The dvd labels also looks like they are printed on a home printer. I wonder if someone has copied the disks and swapped them?
Posted By: rharv Re: Blue bottom disks? - 04/01/18 12:47 PM
On the DVD I received a couple years ago it is visually obvious how much of the disk was burned. So I'm guessing they are not stamped.
Then again I am a beta tester so I suppose I may have received an early version, though I don't think that was the case.

The label appears to be a sticker, if that helps. On the one I received from PGMusic, running my thumbnail along the edge of the DVD I can feel it. Not sure about the 'home printer' look you mentioned.
It's not a complex label so I suppose a home printer could produce it, but that wasn't anything I noticed.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Blue bottom disks? - 04/02/18 04:04 PM
Hi Steve,

This sounds normal. We burn DVDs and print labels in-house, so that's probably a legit copy.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Blue bottom disks? - 04/02/18 05:10 PM
I’m not sure you can tell by looking at the burned surface whether a CD/DVD is stamped or done as a DVR. I have read that a DVR may not last as long if you want archival storage over decades (something about the pits degrading such that the reader can’t tell it from a land), but I’m more worried about there being a player available than I am about the digital media working. Burning in-house DVRs sounds like a fine solution for PG Music here, where we just read and transfer the data once.
Posted By: rharv Re: Blue bottom disks? - 04/02/18 08:29 PM
Quote:
I’m not sure you can tell by looking at the burned surface whether a CD/DVD is stamped or done as a DVR

It was pretty obvious on the copy I looked at. I could probably photograph it clearly.
You don't see it to that extent (if at all) on a stamped disc.
Hold it so the light comes across it (tilted) .. you can see it.

"Pressing is the act of stamping out CDs at a replication house. These discs are created with a glass master, and then the CD is stamped or pressed out with the information already on the disc. Burning is the act of burning the information to the disc in a CD-R writer or burner. The visual difference between pressed and burned CDs is that pressed have the silver bottom that is all one shade. An example would be any CD you have purchased at a store, they were pressed. A burned CD-R has a change in shade on the bottom between the burned and unburned sections. Usually, the bottoms are blue or gold."

Source:
https://www.edocpublish.com/are-cd-rs-identical-to-normal-cds/
© PG Music Forums