PG Music Home
Posted By: danycom BAIB - Chords are too complex... - 04/11/18 06:05 PM
I have set up a very simple song that consists of standard major and minor cords, and one E+ chord that I'm using occasionally in the Verses or the Chorus. When I play the song I get this message at the bottom right of the screen in yellow:
"11% of the chords are complex (9ths, 13ths). To improve arrangement, consider setting Natural Arrangement to allow re-interpretation of these."
When I activate NA in the song settings, my "E+" chord plays as an E. I do need that E+. Any suggestions??? Tks.
Yvan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: BAIB - Chords are too complex... - 04/11/18 06:38 PM
That particular suggestion message is relatively new to BIAB, they just added it a couple of years ago. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, I use a lot of 7th and 9th chords by design, why would I want to simplify them??

So, disable that Natural Arrangment to get back to the chords you want for your song. You can also disable that message from being displayed, not sure where off the top of my head.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BAIB - Chords are too complex... - 04/11/18 07:59 PM
That's correct, you can turn it off for the song or globally, I think.

We've had some discussion about those percentage numbers and in my opinion they don't quite match what they should be. I do agree with the principle of the feature, to make transitions between chords more natural with better voice leading and fewer register jumps.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: BAIB - Chords are too complex... - 04/12/18 08:30 AM
Yes, I'm in BIAB now.

You can turn it off globally by Options->Preferences->Arrange. At the bottom left are the settings for natural arrangements.

I have "natural arrangements" set to disabled, and have "Show message" set to Never.
Posted By: danycom Re: BAIB - Chords are too complex... - 04/12/18 01:37 PM
Thanks Matt
Posted By: WendyM Re: BAIB - Chords are too complex... - 04/12/18 04:13 PM
Wholeheartedly agree.If ive spent time (too much)working the darned chords out one by one sometimes WHY would I want BB to ignore them?If I want simple,I enter simple.Who is?lol.
Wendy
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BAIB - Chords are too complex... - 04/12/18 05:00 PM
This is why, as I mentioned above:

"to make transitions between chords more natural with better voice leading and fewer register jumps"

If the chords being used are not complex, then I am not sure what value this feature would have. The difference is noticeable in jazz.

© PG Music Forums