PG Music Home
Posted By: Andy Mopley Newbie question related to midi files - 03/09/20 12:21 AM
Hi all

I have imported a midi file. What I want to do next is simply print, from it, the lead sheet (notated) with the chords. Is this possible with any midi file or are there restrictions? At the moment, I can get to to it, using the Sequencer button to isolate and play each instrument, but when I then go to lead sheet, I get a jumbled up screen, which I can't edit.

Hope I have made clear. I did search forum and online, but haven't quite got this specific answer.

Thank you

Andy
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Newbie question related to midi files - 03/09/20 01:12 AM
Hi Andy,

Hopefully this will help.

Firstly: with MIDI files, chord-names are not included as part of the file. This is a limitation with MIDI. What BIAB does when it loads a MIDI file is to interpret the notes that are there and identify the best chords. The success of this interpretation depends on how many tracks are employed by the MIDI.

Secondly: When BIAB loads a MIDI file, all tracks are put on BIAB's Melody track. Thus, when you go to print it, you will see all tracks present and not just the melody line (which I am guessing is what you want to print).

To print the Melody, enter into the Sequencer that you mention and then select "Edit" and delete those tracks that you don't want displayed. Doing this until you are left with only the melody track will give you a printable melody line with BIAB's chord interpretation.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Noel
Thanks Noel - I'll take a look and let you know how I go!
© PG Music Forums