Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
My F5 window has been taking longer and longer to open. It's up to about 20 seconds now. Has anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

Frank

Veteran
Veteran
Frank,

My F5 opens quickly (0.5 - 1.0 second) but I have a reasonably fast computer and that would impact on it.

Does it also take around 20 secs if you right-click on the chord sheet and then click "Bar Settings" (rather than use F5)?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Frank, I’ve never heard of this. Couple of thoughts besides Noel’s:

What version and build of BIAB is this, and what version of Windows?

You said it’s getting worse. When did that start, and what changed?

Does your hard drive have less than 15% free space?

What antivirus do you use?

Have you checked Task Manager? Sometimes when I boot up, my very fast PC turns to molasses as Windows, Adobe, iTunes and Malwarebytes etc. all decide to download updates! Or if a program is stuck hogging the CPU, you’ll see it in Task Manager. Even BIAB can be open in another instance and be running in a window hidden behind etc.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks guys.

To answer Noel: Yes it does.

To answer Matt: I'm running BIAB 2018 and Windows 10.

It really started running slow the last few days.

I have a brand new computer with plenty of speed and space.

My anti-virus is Windows Essentials.

The funny thing is, it was doing this on my old computer. I thought it was the computer, and it did stop once I got the new computer.

Now it's back???

Veteran
Veteran
Is it possible the issue might be song file (SGU/MGU) related due to a corrupted song file? Did this start after working on a particular song project?

Go to (BiaB 2018) Options > Save Preferences to save your settings

Then Options > Return to Factory Settings ... to reset the program.

Open the program, create and save a small chord sheet. Press F5; is it slow to open? If not

Then load several recent song project files and test F5 to see if you can determine which one is corrupted.

If F5 is slow to open after reset to factory settings then I'm out of ideas.

Last edited by Jim Fogle; 04/17/18 06:01 AM. Reason: Clarify thoughts.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Ok.

What build? Try reinstalling that. Or did it precede your current build?

And try Return to Factory Settings whenever things are weird like this.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
If you feel okay doing so, I would try to exclude your BIAB folder from your anti-virus scanner. Also, make sure you are running BIAB as administrator (which is different than being logged in as an administrator or administrator-equivalence account). And of course, return to factory defaults doesn't hurt (although make sure you know your settings as you will have to reset them).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks everyone!

All very good suggestions.

I'll start by updating to build 513, I'm at 510. And yes John, I do run BIAB as administrator. How would I go about excluding my BIAB folder from my anti-virus scanner?

Thanks again.

Frank

Veteran
Veteran
Frank, all that I've used have a place in basic or advanced settings where you can add a list of excluded directory folders and files. Some antivirus program have you type in the directory path but most have a browse button to create the path for you.

As an example I use Microsoft Security Essentials. A screenshot is given below.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (91.16 KB, 85 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
How would I go about excluding my BIAB folder from my anti-virus scanner?

What Jim said. They all do it a little differently, but the concept is the same among all of them and it should be pretty easy to find the exclusion lists.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Veteran
Veteran
Hey Frank, they just released build 516. Get that. I’ve found it to be very stable.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Problem solved thanks to Mike at Tech Support!

It had to do with my power settings on my computer. I had the HP recommended setting, which apparently will draw down power from your CPU at times and cause some things to run slow. Mike had me switch to High Performance, which worked.

I hope this might help others if they encounter similar issues.

Thanks again to everyone.

Veteran
Veteran
Interesting that this would occur every time for you, since the power options only kick in when the CPU hasn’t been used recently.

Yes, this is a good reminder for anyone running a music program on a Windows PC. If you have a laptop, I can see using some power options to save battery life, but on a desktop, all the options should be set to full power always on.

I used to make at least a dozen tweaks to Windows on each new PC. Now the only one is to fix the default power options.

Veteran
Veteran
My laptop lets me set two options - one for when using wall power and another when using battery. I keep my wall power settings on maximum and generally have no problems. One of the items to check on is the USB Hub power settings. When they go to sleep, you can have external drives fall away, as well as USB audio devices. Once I changes the setting to NEVER turn off, those problems went away.

John

Veteran
Veteran
Frank,

Thanks for letting us know the solution. That's an unusual one to come across here on the forums.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Frank,

Thanks for letting us know the solution. That's an unusual one to come across here on the forums.

Regards,
Noel

I concur. I’m still skeptical because of how specific it is that everything else worked OK except F5. But if it works now, I’m happy too.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jford
My laptop lets me set two options - one for when using wall power and another when using battery. I keep my wall power settings on maximum and generally have no problems. One of the items to check on is the USB Hub power settings. When they go to sleep, you can have external drives fall away, as well as USB audio devices. Once I changes the setting to NEVER turn off, those problems went away.

I found after about 3 months of dropouts and stuttering problems with my USB interface that the cause was that after each bootup, the USB power off management HUB settings, but only for my expensive Freslogic PCIe card, were activated again, after first switching them off manually in Device Manager.

The 'aftermaket' latest drivers from Freslogic were the problem. Solution: Uninstalled all from Device Manager, also forcing the drivers from Freslogic to be deleted, and let Windows 10 ITSELF install their Microsoft standard Freslogic USB driver. Compliments for Microsoft ... they work OK ! F

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195